Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: How light can you get late model
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Anyone have experience or know of someone putting the late model 993, 996 and Boxster platforms on a diet?

993 = 3064 lbs

996 = 2998 lbs

Boxster = 3118 lbs

(all figures from a google search)

Let's have two numbers:

1. If you were to gut the interior and add f/g lids with a cage

2. Same as above with f/g fenders (full body mod).

Just curious..... rolleyes.gif

Thanks,

Bill P.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 07:37 PM)
Just curious..... rolleyes.gif

now what are you doing? screwy.gif
nine14cats
Homework for a possible course change......

At the crossroads of continuing on with the 914 or buying a taildragger for the track....lotsa options.... idea.gif

Still got JLO for my 914 fix....track wise we know that 911's are fast....but I wonder if I "could" still be competitive with a fully prepped 911 in auto-x?

Fordahl had a 2.8L 911 that won Parade several years in a row...beating 914's...seems unlikely since I suck as a driver...but on the track it would be quick....

Bill P.
bd1308
quoted from some widely-known source (that I forgot who wrote)
"The most important thing to any go fast car is the driver"
if you suck, get lessons. From what I hear, it makes a HUGE difference. With that being said, I have to get my car from peeing oil everywhere. No track for me....
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 07:49 PM)

you've got too much money on your hands ... biggrin.gif

wanna adopt me?
i have a green thumb (comes in handy for the yard and the garden), i can cook, clean the pool, handy with tools, heck, i can even weld!
papa? idea.gif

on a more serious note, i'd hate to see all that money spend on the 914 go down the drain ...
unsure.gif Andy

PS: but if you're selling, i'll take the engine off yer back if the price is right! biggrin.gif
nine14cats
hmmm....that could be an idea.... laugh.gif

Interested in the whole enchilada?

I know you like Mexican! clap.gif

Bill P.

SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 08:03 PM)
Interested in the whole enchilada?

interested? yes! but i'd have to sell my firstborn to afford that enchilada ....

huh.gif Andy
J P Stein
Hay Bill:
Did I tell ya about the Boxster I trailered home from one of our AXs. 2004 model....short version....the oil pump fried then the motor seized.... while the dealer's guy was driving it.
Sure, he gets a new motor.....you wouldn't.

None of them water pumper motors (cept the GT2,3,turbo, cup cars ....30K for a rebuild, yada) are worth spit. Generally(IMO), big motors mean big class, big cla$$ = cup cars & such. Not to be rude, but do you wanna race or be a mobile chicane?

Were it me, I'd go to a smaller motor (2.8/3.0) & find some competition with guys I could afford to run with.....guys with a small fortune who are determined to make it smaller. laugh.gif
grantsfo
Your Boxster weight is off, New Boxsters range from 2850 to 2950 lbs. Earlier models were even less I believe.

Its pretty easy to shed weight from the Boxster. Remove convertible top mechanism, go with fiberglass or carbon fiber body panels and hoods, Lightweight headers and exhaust, lose all the airbags and interior crap, lightweight wheels, I think coilovers are lighter as well, lose the electronic seats in favor of GT3 or lightweight race seats

And dont forget you can drop a 3.4 liter engine in the Boxster.

Boxster racing board is a good resource. http://www.iq.dynip.com/~racing/index.cgi

Dont forget about the new Cayman. Its what the boxster should have been originally.
drew365
As soon as I read about the Cayman, I tried to figure how I could get one to put on the track.
Then I figured I could save a lot of money by buying a cheap used Boxster, gut it and put in a good motor.
I'm going to see how far I can push the 914 before I do anything, but at some point I'd like to show the tail draggers they can be beat by a midengine and I'm not sure the 914 is gonna do it. I ran one event in my friends 911 and I was faster than in my 914 even though he runs in a near stock class. I don't know what the damn secret is with the 911 but it pisses me off. Vendettas are expensive! mad.gif
nine14kitten
barf.gif ok, you guys,,,,,,I'm going to need some help restraining Billy from buying a 911.... He said it best..." this is worse than CRACK!!" I"m scoping out the house for good places to hide the keyboard.... driving-girl.gif
nine14cats
ar15.gif

It's war in the Pickering household!....Doris wants to stay 914....I say nuke it from orbit and buy a 993!

happy11.gif

Bill P.
nine14kitten
spank.gif he's just jealous that I was catching up to him in autocrossing, so now he wants to get a track car.... rocking nana.gif
nine14cats
Ouch!!!!! spank.gif

Hmmm...she has gotten faster and faster.... driving-girl.gif
nine14cats
Hey JP,

What do you think of the pre varioram 993's? I've got a spare 993 motor, so I'm set for years of track use if I get one. Just add a cage, a few other goodies and voila....track car!

Bill P.
SirAndy
sit back and enjoy the show! user posted image
VegasRacer
Adding fuel to the fire spank.gif

Some place in the last week or so I saw an ad that this car is for sale.
I can't remember where it was listed. idea.gif
nine14cats
Hi John,

I'm kind partial to this one....

kinda looks like our old 914 that Felix has now....
nine14cats
another...
nine14cats
last one...

I could have fun in this thing!
drew365
I really like the color of the 993 Bill. The way it looks on my monitor is half way between yellow and orange. Do you know what the color is? I'm trying to pick a color for my 914.
nine14cats
Hi Andy,

Same for me...the car looks yellow orange, almost a chrome "tangerine". I really like it. I may steal the colors for our next car....Doris and I like the splotchs!

How's the car doing? All back together?

Bill P.
nine14kitten
aktion035.gif they MUST have seen our last paint job and copied it....imitation is the best form of flattery!!! biggrin.gif I"m sure that paint job cost a bit more than ours did! laugh.gif
VegasRacer
Very nice Bill. smilie_pokal.gif I approve. biggrin.gif
Those wheels are a bit much. Are they 18 carat or 24?
drew365
My car is back together and running well. I changed my front tires from 205 to 225 and it threw the corner balance off. Even though the car sits about 1" taller in front I was oversteering at the last event. Couldn't figure that one out. I firmed up the front bar but couldn't pull the back end in. I'm getting it corner balanced next week and I should be good to go. I may be running at Infinion in October. I hope to see you at a track someday.
nine14cats
They must be 24 karat wheels...the guy wants $79K for the car....I won't be on grid with this particular car.... chairfall.gif

Bill P.
Britain Smith
A little birdy told me that there is over 25lbs of wiring alone in the 993.

-Britain
phantom914
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jun 23 2005, 07:36 PM)
As soon as I read about the Cayman, I tried to figure how I could get one to put on the track.
Then I figured I could save a lot of money by buying a cheap used Boxster, gut it and put in a good motor.
I'm going to see how far I can push the 914 before I do anything, but at some point I'd like to show the tail draggers they can be beat by a midengine and I'm not sure the 914 is gonna do it. I ran one event in my friends 911 and I was faster than in my 914 even though he runs in a near stock class. I don't know what the damn secret is with the 911 but it pisses me off. Vendettas are expensive! mad.gif

Andy,

What is lacking in the 914 that makes you slower than in the 911? Acceleration, cornering? What?

Andrew
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 08:19 PM)
Hi John,

I'm kind partial to this one....

kinda looks like our old 914 that Felix has now....

Bill,

Not anymore. laugh.gif You're making me feel bad about changing it so much. I just mounted the 996 Technos on it and am planning the new lids. Since the JKelly flares are only tached on, I thought about finding another base car...maybe one with a full cage and power steering happy11.gif

You're just going to through a phase. Get over it!!
Andyrew
Felix... NO

Dont make me... buy your car somehow....

Nooo!

btw, pics tonight of some reinforcements on the fender.

Andrew
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 23 2005, 07:58 PM)
quoted from some widely-known source (that I forgot who wrote)
"The most important thing to any go fast car is the driver"
if you suck, get lessons. From what I hear, it makes a HUGE difference. With that being said, I have to get my car from peeing oil everywhere. No track for me....

you need to pay attention much better....Bill and Doris hold track records in thier 914 spank.gif

I think a Boxster based car would be great...I showed the wife a picture of the new Cayman tonight, she loved it until I mentioned the price headbang.gif , so much for trading in the 911 for one unsure.gif
Andyrew
I'd love to build a twin turbo v8 boxster track car.... btw..
drew365
QUOTE (phantom914 @ Jun 23 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (drew365 @ Jun 23 2005, 07:36 PM)

Andy,

What is lacking in the 914 that makes you slower than in the 911? Acceleration, cornering? What?

Andrew

Don't know for sure. I drove the 911 at Buttonwillow on a Sunday to finish a racers clinic because my car broke late Saturday. I even moved my tires from the 914 to the 911 so it wasn't tires. It was probably just me being more on top of it on Sunday but my 914 is heavily modified and the 911 is not and it was the first time I ever drove a 911, so it surprised me that I turned my fastest time on Sunday. The 911 I drove is the one behind me in my avatar, it's a early '80s with either a 3.0 or 3.2 but is also heavier than my car.
Jeroen
bill, yer just being impatient...
not that I blame you, but what you're thinking now won't get you a faster car, nor will it put you back on the track any sooner...
It'll just cost you more

I love 911s, they're fast and lots a fun, and I'll get another as soon as "the budget" allows, but there's no substitute for a mid engined car
So either stick with what you got (which will make an awesome car, beyond any doubt) or go Boxster...

Stock Boxster is slow as shit... 200bhp aint gonna get ya no where (even if you rip everything out and get all f/g bodywork)
So you'll end up getting either an 3.2S or a 3.4 or a 3.6 engine for it...
Lots a crappy electrics to figure out and a oil starvation problem to solve (no dry sump)

Others may disagree, but I'm very sceptic about the quality of the watercooled engines...

Only option left: Be patient!

Just my €0,02
bd1308
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Jun 24 2005, 02:45 PM)
Just my €0,02

LAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH laugh.gif

Euro is in....wait how do you do the symbol...
seanery
don't anyone get me wrong, I LOVE 914s, but if I could afford an ex 993 cup or RS car or a 996 GT3 race car I'd be all over that. Yes, the expendables are gonna be higher, yes the maintenance is gonna be higher (when it needs it) but man, what a great platform driving.gif
nine14cats
Great Thread! smilie_pokal.gif

914Club opinions at their best....we've got mid engine merits versus tail draggers, talking about race car builds, talking about colors of cars....JP asking if I want to be a mobile chicane, Sir Andy calling me screwy.gif ....

I love you guys!

Here's to you! beer.gif

Bill P.
TimT
get a 993 roller, or buy some 993 suspension and graft it onto the 914!!
modern suspension, mid-engined car
GTeener
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 06:49 PM)

At the crossroads of continuing on with the 914 or buying a taildragger for the track....lotsa options.... idea.gif

Still got JLO for my 914 fix....track wise we know that 911's are fast....but I wonder if I "could" still be competitive with a fully prepped 911 in auto-x?

Fordahl had a 2.8L 911 that won Parade several years in a row...beating 914's...seems unlikely since I suck as a driver...but on the track it would be quick....

Bill P.

Bill,

Stay mid engine smile.gif

Buy a Boxster, strip it and upgrade the engine.

infact, I know where you get the engine already rolleyes.gif

...or buy the Caymen stripped idea.gif

...or better yet give me that money you want to blow so I can improve my 914 laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.