Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil temp & PSI drastic changes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
OK here are the particulars

*1911 L-jet

*changed the oil 1000 miles ago. Have only used Brad Penn 20W50 since break-in, 41,000 miles in 5.5 years. I saw no puddle, but have yet to check the oil.

*Air temp today is 84*F

*Oil Temp was 230 *F interstate driving

*Oil Temp jumped to 260*F as I hit a few stop lights on the way home

*Oil Pressure was running over 30 on the interstate but dropped to just over 20 at 3000 rpm city driving.

I never remember OP being that low. Temp has only ever been that hot if the air temp was 95-ish and city driving. (with no other changes I know of)

THINGS I KNOW.

I recently adjusted the clutch cable. My free play is there, but probably too tight. The friction point is at about 1/2 pedal.

I can truly hear what I assume is the throw out bearing when I am idling in neutral Also a sign of tightness, correct?

I thought maybe the OP sender was getting a bad reading, but with the increase in temps, I guess not.

I am going to loosen the clutch at least one full turn on the nut on the cable and test drive. And check the oil. confused24.gif

Could the throw out bearing cause that much heat? What else should I check?

As Always, thanks for your input.

Clark

malcolm2
I will add.... 1.5 turns on the clutch and I still hear what I think is the throw out. Test drive and yes the friction point dropped down below 1/2.

It is idling in the driveway like a champ. OT = 220. Rev to 3500 rpm and the vdo OP goes to 30. Forgot to mention I also have a mechanical OP guage in the engine bay. at 3500 it is at 40.
ndfrigi
oil pump failing?
malcolm2
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Apr 11 2019, 06:37 PM) *

oil pump failing?

Maybe... the OP goes down as the temp rises.

Cool off OT = 200.... go for a test drive and I have normal OP:

10 psi per 1000 rpm or better. My thought is the pump is working. They are purely mechanical. Would it BE GOING bad or just break?

The gauge is off tho. The mech gauge is 10 higher at most rpm levels.
bretth
I wonder, can a sticking oil pressure valve cause this?
malcolm2
it is gonna rain Friday and most of the weekend, so a longer test drive may not come for a few days. but there is SEMI good news....

I took a mirror to get a look at the fan while running. I SAW WHITE FLASHES. Shut the car down, stuck my hand in there and found a full paper towel sheet on the inner section of the squirrel cage fan. It was securely sucked down to the fins. Probably blocking about 1/3 of the fins. So that is probably my hot oil temp cause.
eyesright
[quote name='malcolm2' date='Apr 11 2019, 04:58 PM' post='2704470']
it is gonna rain Friday and most of the weekend, so a longer test drive may not come for a few days. but there is SEMI good news....

Looking forward to this test drive. Sounds logical.

I was driving thru Dallas late summer, years ago. I had already covered 600 miles with no problems and 200 to go for the day. I heard a dull "frump" from behind me and didn't think about it. With only the standard idiot lights I never guessed I had a problem. The engine seized 20 miles later. It was after dark and it took a half hour of cooling before I could feel around in the engine bay. I found a grease rag in the squirrel cage. I had stuffed it securely into the heater duct opening to block air flow...not securely enough. This is the engine I'm rebuilding now. D'oh!

A couple of decades ago A GP car -- or was it a F1 -- dropped out of the race due to a paper sack that blew off the track and into the radiator. Seized engine.

You may have dodged a bullet!
porschetub
Good score you got it early those were high temps,not really a common issue but I do like the plastic screen the t4 Kombi's had,it may suck a piece of rubbish in but won't get to the fan,don't know if they will fit a 914 but feel it would be a handy addition.
malcolm2
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 11 2019, 08:59 PM) *

Good score you got it early those were high temps,not really a common issue but I do like the plastic screen the t4 Kombi's had,it may suck a piece of rubbish in but won't get to the fan,don't know if they will fit a 914 but feel it would be a handy addition.

I am building a bus now. Have seen those screens an wondered why the 914 did not have. Figured they were more for a hand guard since the fan on the bus is pointing rear-ward. Right at cha.
barefoot
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 11 2019, 09:59 PM) *

When I got my 76 (not running) it had the plastic screen, so I've kept it on in my rebuild. Fits fine, no clearance issues.
Barefoot
malcolm2
Click to view attachment

All is well. Air temp today is 60, but all is normal. Kind of tough to get the oil temps up over 200 today. But I have been idling here for several minutes after this picture (taken on the interstate, 70 mph, 3400 rpm) and the oil temp is right on 200. One thing I did not mention before was my cylinder head temps. I did notice for a couple days they were running above 350 on the way to work. today they are just above 300. So note to everyone keep the paper towels out of the engine bay. piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.