Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door not locking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
When holding the flap on the DS door to try and get it to stay locked, the door just bounces back. With the panel off the latch on the back/end of the door is nice and clean, and I lubricated it, but didn't seem to help any, or am I addressing the wrong problem?

I can get it to lock with the key from the outside, but I thought when using the lock button from the inside, and closing the door from the outside, as long as you hold the flap, it was to lock that way also?

One other thing, with the door open, if I use the key turn right, and watch the tab by the interior door handle, it pulls it in further, and so when I remove the key, and hold the flap, it will lock, but if I just push that tab by the interior door handle, it won't lock that way, and it appears that just pushing the tab, it is not pushing it far enough to lock.
Chi-town
Close door, turn key
Carl La Fong
I have always considered the door locks to be a week point on these cars. At least every year or two I will take both door locking mechanisms out, clean them thoroughly with carb. cleaner. Repair and replace as needed. Make sure everything is lubed well and then re-install. The doors locks work effortlessly. Well, mostly. laugh.gif
partwerks
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 14 2019, 10:39 AM) *

I have always considered the door locks to be a week point on these cars. At least every year or two I will take both door locking mechanisms out, clean them thoroughly with carb. cleaner. Repair and replace as needed. Make sure everything is lubed well and then re-install. The doors locks work effortlessly. Well, mostly. laugh.gif

I think the body shop cleaned it when they had the guts out of it, when I had it painted. I lubed it, but did not help. I'm not sure what else to look for before taking it out?
rhodyguy
Is the key correct for the handle? Can you lock the door with the key?
partwerks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 14 2019, 01:00 PM) *

Is the key correct for the handle? Can you lock the door with the key?

I can lock it all with the keys. If I had the DS door open, stick the key it, turn it right, put key out. hold handle, it will lock the door.

If I just push that tab by the interior door handle, and close the door holding the oustside flap, it will bounce back.

I did notice that for some reason, if I use the key to turn it, the tab pulls in further, but if I just push the tab, it doesn't push in far enough for some reason?
I would assume whatever the problem is, would be in that linkage from the tab on back, but not sure what that would be?
Olympic 914
Don't know if this may be your problem but if too long a screw is used on the plastic cover around the inside locking tab it hits. try removing the screw holding the plastic cover and see if that cures your problem. then either grind down the screw or fit a shorted one.
partwerks
I finally just took out the gizmo on the end of the door. Was a bit sticky, but I think the other part of the problem is that I am missing one of those rubber guides for linkage, and had a bit of bend in it, and so I took some of the bend out, and till I can get another guide, I just pulled the linkage in a bit with some wire. Anyway, it works as it should now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.