Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of leather is "soft?"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
On the V8 project....looking at different material combinations for JLO. I would like to stay black and have leather seat surfaces. But some leather is harder than others.

Anyone know the type of leather or "leather lingo" that is soft? For example, I've found that the Mercedes fabrics are much softer than the Porsche fabrics...not only the foam, but the material itself.

I want my butt to be comfy just in front of my 380HP SBC!!!!

Thanks,

Bill P.
redshift
Would you be willing to entertain opinions?

biggrin.gif

M
skline
Yeah, I vote we skin Miles and use his hide for your seats. That way he can be immortalized in a 914.

On topic however, I just picked up a full hide off Ebay and sent it down to Mexico with the good Dr. and mine are nice and soft and smell great. I had the center done in black cloth however so my bare legs in shorts dont stick in the heat of summer. There are other reasons not to have the centers in leather but that is the main one. Here is a picture of how mine came out. Seats and backpad nice and new looking.

nine14cats
Hi Scott,

Wow...that looks great! smilie_pokal.gif

I may have to rethink the seating surface....

Bill P.
skline
The whole hide on Ebay was only $100.00 and it covered the entire back of my truck bed and hung down the sides. It was really soft upolstery grade and I think the guy sells it all the time. Do a search for hides.
skline
Here is one here, just what you need. Darth Vader
skline
I think this is where mine came from. I got it from him in case I ever needed more. He sells a lot.

Black Leather
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Jun 23 2005, 07:08 PM)
Anyone know the type of leather or "leather lingo" that is soft? For example, I've found that the Mercedes fabrics are much softer than the Porsche fabrics...not only the foam, but the material itself.

CORINTHIAN LEATHER laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'm surprised I was the first to say it....I crack myself up...and no one else screwy.gif

Yep Bill there are grades of leather. The later panels on my Benz are much softer than the earlier ones and they're gathered for a loose look. Best to ask an upholsterer what's available. There's a local guy Mike Oates that Mueller recommended.
nine14cats
Hi Felix wavey.gif

Got a number for Mueller's guy?

Thanks,

Bill P.

P.S. Ricardo Montalban quote "Look what they've done to my Cordoba!"
Rand
How about suede? Real leather, soft, not as hot... I dunno about the disadvantages, just thinking out loud.

redshift
Suede is bad about holding the spices they cover Doritos in.

Yeah, you could just not eat Doritos in your car... but.. but ..

M
TravisNeff
Booger stick to suede.

You could do the poor mans suede, and just run the leather upside down on the seating surfaces. Same color, same hide etc.
EdwardBlume
Scott just up the street from here had his whole interior redone in beautiful leather. Very soft, very nice, nice smell too. Nicer than my 911. He used to work at this custom shop in RWC.

You should check it out, just up Valerie at the stop sign.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.