Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to get to Master brake cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Another one of my projects this year is to figure out why the light is on for the brake light indicator in the dash. Only 2 items should light that indicator. The manual pull parking brake (switch) and the master cylinder switch. Eliminated the the first possibility (took switch out and insulated wire from ground, light still on. Now it is on to the master cylinder switch. Have seen videos of how to change but missed the part about how to get to the dang thing. There has to be a video out there on what to remove to get to the thing.
iankarr
You’ll need to take off the belly pan, which is 4 bolts. Easy peezy. The steering rack and tie rods may be a bit in the way but you should be able to reach up and feel the switch on the master cylinder.
tmc914
Just crawled a little further under the car and see what you are saying about those 4 bolts. Didn't look close enough and thought it was all one piece. Funny, just looked at a car for sale and that piece was missing and cylinder was easy to spot. The video I looked at earlier that piece was also removed and could not figure out why my car looked so different. The video and pictures kept showing the spot without the cover close up and it was driving me nuts. Thanks.
iankarr
Glad you worked it out. You were probably watching my video...I didn’t show that part smile.gif I wish YouTube allowed you to update videos.
Krieger
Try to reset the switch on the master cylinder first. Most of the cars have a reset button on the electrical switch on the side of the master cylinder. You can get to it with the car on the ground and the wheels on. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the right.
Get on the ground with a flashlight and look in the drivers fenderwell. It looks like a little nipple. Just push it in and check the light again. It doesn't travel far or make a perceptable click. It may be hard to find your first time, so you may need to take off that wheel. I just bled my brakes and the light came on. I was able to do this quickly since it happens every time I bleed the brakes. Hopefully this fixes the problem.
tmc914
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Apr 15 2019, 12:30 AM) *

Glad you worked it out. You were probably watching my video...I didn’t show that part smile.gif I wish YouTube allowed you to update videos.

Yes, it was your video. You make it look so easy doing things with one hand while filming with the other. I love your videos.
tmc914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 15 2019, 12:49 AM) *

Try to reset the switch on the master cylinder first. Most of the cars have a reset button on the electrical switch on the side of the master cylinder. You can get to it with the car on the ground and the wheels on. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the right.
Get on the ground with a flashlight and look in the drivers fenderwell. It looks like a little nipple. Just push it in and check the light again. It doesn't travel far or make a perceptable click. It may be hard to find your first time, so you may need to take off that wheel. I just bled my brakes and the light came on. I was able to do this quickly since it happens every time I bleed the brakes. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

I am going to keep an eye out for that reset switch. The light has been off and on since I bought the car. As usual it is a multi-part problem. First, it would not turn on when I pulled up the parking brake handle. Took switch apart and all was fine. Then took steering wheel off to make it easier to get to the indicator light in the dash. The indicator lamp holder had corrosion and after cleaning it the lamp worked. After putting it back together the lamp stopped working again. I cannot stress how important it is when cleaning electrical connections to do a really thorough job. Got it cleaned real good the second time and put led lamps in most of the indicator lamps (not the Gen lamp). Now onto the master cylinder switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.