Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THE COLONEL Question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stoddy
Hi all

I'm a way off yet but when I come to cutting out the rust, how do I know how much I can take before I need a chassis brace? I'm planning on a rotisserie approach which i think will mean that the chassis will be suspended from each far end, therefore putting the most leverage on the weakest spot, ie, the floor and sills. Do I just go straight for braces? It feels like that makes the most sense but wondered if anyone had any advice.

Cheers!

Stoddy smile.gif
URY914
Yes put the brace in from the beginning. Why wouldn't you?
Stoddy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 15 2019, 04:38 AM) *

Yes put the brace in from the beginning. Why wouldn't you?

Well, I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the advice. smile.gif
defianty
Brace it before you start. But I'd take measurements from the car and compare then to the factory measurements to make sure it's in spec. There's no point bracing a rusty bent car and welding in that position.

Making the relevant bracing is just a days work with the correct materials.
tygaboy
Bracing is the way to go. For "major" repairs, it's required. For small(er) repairs, it's a great insurance policy.
Also, while making your own is great practice (if you need practice), I prefer to spend my time doing the work. If that's your case, too, save time and get the Tangerine Racing adjustable chassis brace kit.

http://www.tangerineracing.com/tools.htm

@ChrisFoley makes great stuff! aktion035.gif

Also, what @defianty said about measure first!
bbrock
agree.gif with all of the above. Brace before you start and use an adjustable brace so you can correct as you go. You'll be amazed how easy it is to flex the car once the longs come off.

Also, I got some really good advice when I started my rustoration to fix the structural components BEFORE putting it on a rotisserie. I built a simple frame that bolted to the suspension points so the car was supported more evenly while the structural work was being done. I sized the tubing so it could be repurposed for a rotisserie once the structural work was finished. That plan worked like a champ. Good luck!
preach
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 15 2019, 10:04 AM) *

$325 seems a heck of a price for a rotisserie. I have 3 engine stands and I don't know if I could make one for that price using two of them.

Do the door braces ever show up in the classifieds?

@Stoddy I am right there with you brother. Spent the weekend with a wire wheel to assess the brown cancer my '74 has.
bbrock
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 15 2019, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 15 2019, 10:04 AM) *

$325 seems a heck of a price for a rotisserie. I have 3 engine stands and I don't know if I could make one for that price using two of them.

Do the door braces ever show up in the classifieds?

@Stoddy I am right there with you brother. Spent the weekend with a wire wheel to assess the brown cancer my '74 has.

I agree that's a good price although shipping may add. I spent less than that for materials to build mine, but not much less.

I'm a CSOB so made adjustable door braces from black iron plumbing pipe, threaded rod and a couple turnbuckles. Again, the Tangerine braces are Cadillac compared to my Hillbilly Hank specials, but mine got the job done. I good feature on any braces whether bought or made is to be able to install doors with braces in place. There is a sweet satisfaction in being able to watch your door gaps open or close to perfection with the easy twist of the adjuster.
preach
Brent,

IIRC Tangerine is in CT, I head there for work a lot. Free (?) Shipping. biggrin.gif

I am pretty cheap too so will either buy someones braces that are done with them or black pipe some.

IF someone in the North East had a table they were done with I would probably buy that instead of making one.

Either way when I am done with both they will go up for sale here.

Mostly I am just happy to be started. I came into the house yesterday with a shiteating grin as my wife made fun of me for the reverse raccoon from my safety glasses and my nasty muttonchops from where my respirator wasn't.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
YES INSTALL the door braces

QUOTE(Stoddy @ Apr 15 2019, 03:25 AM) *

Hi all

I'm a way off yet but when I come to cutting out the rust, how do I know how much I can take before I need a chassis brace? I'm planning on a rotisserie approach which i think will mean that the chassis will be suspended from each far end, therefore putting the most leverage on the weakest spot, ie, the floor and sills. Do I just go straight for braces? It feels like that makes the most sense but wondered if anyone had any advice.

Cheers!

Stoddy smile.gif

mepstein
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 15 2019, 10:11 AM) *

agree.gif with all of the above. Brace before you start and use an adjustable brace so you can correct as you go. You'll be amazed how easy it is to flex the car once the longs come off.

Also, I got some really good advice when I started my rustoration to fix the structural components BEFORE putting it on a rotisserie. I built a simple frame that bolted to the suspension points so the car was supported more evenly while the structural work was being done. I sized the tubing so it could be repurposed for a rotisserie once the structural work was finished. That plan worked like a champ. Good luck!

agree.gif our shop does the structural rust repair on a cellette bench before it goes on a rotisserie for finish work. If you don’t have a bench, a level table to rest the longs would be good.
bbrock
QUOTE(preach @ Apr 15 2019, 03:36 PM) *

Brent,

IIRC Tangerine is in CT, I head there for work a lot. Free (?) Shipping. biggrin.gif

Ah! thumb3d.gif I thought you were suggesting it would be a good option for the OP. Just noticed they are in UK so maybe not.

My rotisserie is close to the Tangerine design and I'll bet it cost only $50 less for just materials although it's hard to say since the tube lived a live as a flat jig first. But $50 for precut and no measuring and pondering? Not bad at all. biggrin.gif
Stoddy
Thanks so much for the advice gents!

Braces aktion035.gif it is then. like the idea of adjusting the doors whilst in situ too.

Cheers!
JeffBowlsby
What dies THE COLONEL gave to do with it?
Stoddy
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 15 2019, 07:30 PM) *

THE COLONEL is the name of the car. blink.gif
Stoddy
QUOTE(Stoddy @ Apr 16 2019, 01:52 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 15 2019, 07:30 PM) *

THE COLONEL is the name of the car. blink.gif

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.