Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Anyplace to buy the buy the thick white felt under the straps on the fuel tank? Or a good substitute like same thickness white foam rubber from the craft store?
Chi-town
Don't use it, it attracts water and causes the tank to rust.

I would find a good rubber substitute
914_7T3
Black Foam Padding, Rubber Sheet
Self Adhesive Weather Strip Rubber Cutting Mat Insulation
Closed Cell Foam
12" X 8" X 1/4"

Perfect thickness, just cut to size. Can also be used on the underside of the fuel tank strap.

Available on Amazon or PM me your address and I will send you one as there are extra pads from my 5 Pack!

Click to view attachment
raynekat
Shane, if you're talking about the main strap that holds the tank down....I think felt is fine to use there.
defianty
I decided to replace mine with as close to original as possible. After 45 years there was no sign of rust on my car and after it's restoration is complete it won't be left out in all weathers.

After a search around I managed to find a very close substitute felt in Germany ironically.

IPB Image

IPB Image

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wool-felt-fabric...872.m2749.l2649

One 6mm thick 20x20cm square piece is enough to replace it all. Once measured out it cuts well with a sharp craft knife.
shane
Thanks for the link, I was at Walmart and found these there. Not exactly the same they have a thick self adhesive back Side that’s kinda stiff and doesn’t want to bend much but they were $2.88 and in front of me so I bought them to try. There just under 5mm thick and might be good enough to do the trick.
shane
QUOTE(shane @ Apr 16 2019, 06:29 PM) *

Thanks for the link, I was at Walmart and found these there. Not exactly the same they have a thick self adhesive back Side that’s kinda stiff and doesn’t want to bend much but they were $2.88 and in front of me so I bought them to try. There just under 5mm thick and might be good enough to do the trick.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.