Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dwell meter and timing light, need to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I don't know how much difference it makes which brand/model you get. Any favorites? Best bang for buck, coolest combo unit, etc., etc.?
Mueller
I have an INNOVA brand (from Kragens), cost about $70+, but it's nice...

it's digital and does the basics (show RPM) plus it'll work on DIS (crankfire type) ignitions which most lights don't....

you can program the advance which is cool so all you need is a mark for 0° TDC on the fan or flywheel or where ever and that is all......my base timing is 10° so with car at idle I put in "10" on the light and it'll show the TDC mark, same for top end advance, I enter 28° on the light and the light flashes on the TDC...very simple and well worth it to me.
tommy914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 24 2005, 12:22 AM)

it's digital and does the basics (show RPM) plus it'll work on DIS (crankfire type) ignitions which most lights don't....

What would make a timing light not work with a DIS system?
I thought all it was measuring was the spark impulse on the #1 cyl.
lapuwali
Older-style adjustable timing lights with the knob on the back don't work on wasted-spark ignitions, which fire each plug once per crank revolution. Regular ignitions only fire each plug once every OTHER revolution. The light itself works, but the delay knob is only accurate at 0. Some of the new, snazzy timing lights have RPM, dwell, and degrees of advance built in, and SOME of them also have a setting to use wasted spark, so the RPM reading isn't 2x what it actually is, and the advance degree curve is correct.

anthony
I need a new fancy timing light. I've got a short in the cord of my ancient Sun timing light.

>>Dwell meter

I'd ditch points for a Pertronix or Compufire setup. It saves so many headaches.
TravisNeff
For a dwell meter, I agree get a pertronix or something. You are close to the same dollars to go electronic than purchasing a dwell meter. I had a craftsman dwell meter, it was probably 35-40 bucks, it slid off the rear trunk lid onto the floor, it no worky no mo'.
bd1308
take it back man.... wink.gif
Mueller
dang...I guess I spent more than I thought wacko.gif

$129......

Timing light

user posted image
TravisNeff
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 24 2005, 12:33 PM)
take it back man.... wink.gif

Electronic warranties are only good for about 30 days or so. I had this one for a few years. Might be worth a shot though!
bd1308
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 24 2005, 02:40 PM)
dang...I guess I spent more than I thought wacko.gif

$129......

Timing light

user posted image

if that LCD is backlit, i'm gonna crap my pants.
zonedoubt
QUOTE (Rand @ Jun 23 2005, 11:54 PM)
I don't know how much difference it makes which brand/model you get. Any favorites? Best bang for buck, coolest combo unit, etc., etc.?

I just bought a Sunpro dwell meter off of eBay for a sweet price. The guy's ID is "tradervar". He has all sorts of NIB auto diagnostic stuff for sale.

I'm going to do my points this weekend. Will let you know how the meter worked out.
bd1308
i really want a analog one....RPM/Dwell meter
lapuwali
Mueller, that same timing light is $190 from Eastwood, so I'd say $130 is a pretty good deal.

An all-in-one meter, esp. one that handled wasted spark, would be a very good tool to have. The old analog tach-dwell meters are only useful with points ignitions, and you still need to have a timing light. The one Mike got would be useful with ANY ignition.
bd1308
i still have points burned out my p-unit....
phantom914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 24 2005, 12:40 PM)
dang...I guess I spent more than I thought  :wacko:

$129......

$70? You were probably remembering what you told your wife you paid for it. biggrin.gif

Andrew
Rand
First I was liking the idea of getting a nice all-in-one unit that could do tach, dwell, AND timing, with all the bells and whistles... a handy tool to have.

But now I'm leaning towards the idea of going Pertronix and getting a less-expensive timing light setup since I probably won't be working on anything else with points anymore. Especially since the cost will wash.

Thanks for the feedback gang. smilie_pokal.gif

hijacked.gif
Hey Britt... I think the problem that was burning your points is also what caused your Pertronix to blow. Have you had any luck tracking that down? Is your condensor good?
bd1308
QUOTE (Rand @ Jun 24 2005, 06:12 PM)

Hey Britt... I think the problem that was burning your points is also what caused your Pertronix to blow. Have you had any luck tracking that down? Is your condensor good?

i think it had to do with my spark plug completly melting down and liquifying.....but thats just me. This new guy leaks oil like a tank...pours it all over the place like a monkey with his poo.
anthony
If you buy a Pertronix just make sure you don't leave the key in the "on" position listening to the radio or something without having the car running. That can kill a Pertronix.
bd1308
thats one of the reasons why i wired my radio to work with the eky in the off position.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.