Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stalling at low idle when warmed up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
I have a 1973, 1.7 with FI still on it. The car is stalling at idle after the engine warms up. Any ideas what to adjust or look for? Things that may be contributing, but not sure. I think there is a vaccum leak. It smells like it is running rich. I recently replaced the fuel pump.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Terry
mgphoto
QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 17 2019, 05:44 PM) *

I have a 1973, 1.7 with FI still on it. The car is stalling at idle after the engine warms up. Any ideas what to adjust or look for? Things that may be contributing, but not sure. I think there is a vaccum leak. It smells like it is running rich. I recently replaced the fuel pump.

Thanks,
Terry

Check the MPS, see if it holds vacuum and for how long.
Air leak would cause fast idle.
Check for kinked fuel line?
tsvo
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 17 2019, 08:09 PM) *

Thanks,
Terry

Thank you
Rand
agree.gif
Vacuum leaks on Djet usually cause high idle. An exception is the MPS which fails to full rich if it doesn't hold a vacuum (whether via the hose or the diaphragm within).

If you pull the vacuum hose off the MPS while it's running, what changes?
thelogo
Once d jet stops working .
The really problem could be anywhere
And beyond guessing and hopeing
There is no way to test or identifyi the issue or soultion short of replacing or rebuilding all components that are nla

So if it still runs it is in some form of compromised
Performance aka limp mode .

I love it when something that supposed to last 10 years go's strong for 50yrs. And when it fails it fails slowly (Djet)

But

I hate it when cars or planes catch on fire
Don't ignore the warning signs
Rand
Ignore the last post. Djet is a great system. It starts and runs perfectly at all altitudes. Just because someone doesn't understand it doesn't mean it's bad. Sure, he likes carbs laugh.gif
phatnine11
Won't idle when the engine warms up? I would check the AAR valve, very easy to do. Use a pair of vice grip pliers and clamp off the hose that runs from the air cleaner to the valve. If the car idles now, the problem is with the valve. I would look up the procedures for testing/ cleaning the valve. Without going into too much detail, this valve needs 12 volts to operate correctly. sometimes they freeze up.
Good luck,
Phatnine11
buck toenges
Does the 1973 1.7 have the air intake temp sensor that hooks into the plenum? It is by the throttle body. The 1973 2.0L has it. If the 1.7L has it, disconnect it from the wiring harness. The pet catalog says that it is part of the 1.7L. That will up the rpms slightly. That is what I did when my 2.0L engine warmed up and started to stumble and lose rpms at idle. Brad Mayeur told me that with these old engines you can't always find the answer on issues and that the tps 1 sensor isn't needed. He says it lowers mpg but the rpms at idle improves.

The part number is 311906081a

Buck
914_teener
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 17 2019, 06:09 PM) *

Thanks,
Terry

+1

And...

Ignore the Trolls.
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 18 2019, 06:26 AM) *

Once d jet stops working .
The really problem could be anywhere
And beyond guessing and hopeing
There is no way to test or identifyi the issue or soultion short of replacing or rebuilding all components that are nla

So if it still runs it is in some form of compromised
Performance aka limp mode .

I love it when something that supposed to last 10 years go's strong for 50yrs. And when it fails it fails slowly (Djet)

But

I hate it when cars or planes catch on fire
Don't ignore the warning signs

smoke.gif hey you dont have to trust me
Just listen to what im saying to you

When djet parts and techs are plentful
I will stop being a fan of carbs aka (dead tech)
tsvo
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 17 2019, 10:37 PM) *

agree.gif
Vacuum leaks on Djet usually cause high idle. An exception is the MPS which fails to full rich if it doesn't hold a vacuum (whether via the hose or the diaphragm within).

Thank you, I will be working on it this weekend. I appreciate your help.
tsvo

agree.gif

Thank you
tsvo
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Apr 18 2019, 12:45 PM) *

Does the 1973 1.7 have the air intake temp sensor that hooks into the plenum? It is by the throttle body. The 1973 2.0L has it. If the 1.7L has it, disconnect it from the wiring harness. The pet catalog says that it is part of the 1.7L. That will up the rpms slightly. That is what I did when my 2.0L engine warmed up and started to stumble and lose rpms at idle. Brad Mayeur told me that with these old engines you can't always find the answer on issues and that the tps 1 sensor isn't needed. He says it lowers mpg but the rpms at idle improves.

The part number is 311906081a

Buck

tsvo

agree.gif

windforfun
I simply raised the idle to about 1,500 rpm when cold. After it warms up, the idle drops to about 1,000 rpm & stays there.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
check the dwell angle first, closed points make many assume that they have a fuel injection problem. After that check to see that the engine is running on all four cylinders then check to see if the pressure sensor is leaking vacuum causing too rich a mixture

Thanks,
Terry
tsvo
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 23 2019, 03:53 PM) *

check the dwell angle first, closed points make many assume that they have a fuel injection problem. After that check to see that the engine is running on all four cylinders then check to see if the pressure sensor is leaking vacuum causing too rich a mixture

Thanks,
Terry

Thank you, I will check your suggestions. I appreciate the response.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.