Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Neo flares build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Andyrew
So, flaring the fenders for the Neocar proved to be a bit of a challenge because its not a regular f/g car.. these have to be steel. So. This is basiclally how im going to make HPH style flares out of stock steel fenders... Hopefully wink.gif

Anyways.. heres me starting to take the paint off the fender and reinforce it because streching the metal will warp the shape of the fender.

Hope you aprove Felix!

Andyrew
Next. nice clean fender, no filler, never hit. Other fender on the other hand... will get replacement.. lol, not going to show that one yet.
Andyrew
notice shape. this will change.
Andyrew
back, semi stripped of paint and goo
Andyrew
also notice the reinforcements that went into this. I can add more, but for now this might work, need to be able to get a english wheel in there... lol. everything is tached into place and can be removed easily with a grinder.
Andyrew
more reinforcements.. notice 2 pieces..
Andyrew
closeup.
Andyrew
oh ya, ignore the crappy welding.. I wasnt using a helmet, and I only wanted tacks on the fender, but the two bars being attached I just wanted strong.. will not affect fender at all dry.gif
Andyrew
good look at the reinforcment bar, and the shape of the fender.
Andyrew
more fender shape
Andyrew
Last.

Comments, critiques.. ext are welcome... I want this to be high quality... so flame away (cept my welding...)
Andyrew
now.. In color!
McMark
I just cut the other fender off my red car today for Felix. wink.gif Good timing.
Andyrew
yay!

Give me lots of car to go with it? or.... Cus I could have used more car.... lol, but as you can see... I work with what I got..
jgiroux67
I'm confused, what exactly are you doing? Are these for another car or do you have plans on replacing the ones that are on your car right now?
McMark
Nope. No more car. sad.gif Almost EXACTLY like the ones you've got.
Andyrew
This is not for my car.

My car is getting f/g.

THis is for the NEOcar.

ie Felix's concept thing.. He wants steel, I want fiberglass.

Im building steel flares for his car because John cant do it because of his work schedule.

Andrew
Andyrew
Alright, that will work perfectly fine mark! not like im going to say "NO, do it again!!!!"

at least its not less... biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
so you plan on flairing the fender then installing it? i went to the flair party for korijo. john had a strip of material that one would use to compare the size/shape of the flair, hammers, palm nailer, mobile plennishing tool. that was the method you used previously correct? i see you added some info but i'll just keep going. how do you keep both fenders (flairs) equal when they're off the car?

k
rhodyguy
and, are you going to make moulds off the metal fenders for f/g copies?

k
Andyrew
I will use lots of cardboard and templates to keep them even, that is the hardest part yes.

rhodyguy
did john bring that long thin piece of material that adjusted to the shape to california with him? i can't remember the correct term for it. i would think you you need to weld in the supports while the fender was still on a car to start at a common point.

k
neo914-6
Andrew,
Great start! clap.gif
I mounted the front 8" Technos this evening and they fit flush to the body with the 1.1" spacer so I put the 1.7" to fill out the HPH flare some more. In other words the flare doesn't have to be as large as the HPH's but I'll view it from several angles with the wheels turned stop to stop. I'll take pics this weekend when I pull out the car from my narrow driveway.
Andyrew
I recieved the fends like they where shown... thus I could not weld in the supports while they were on the car... wink.gif The metal is flexable anyways, and can be bent that little bit...

I dont think he brought a long piece of metal...

Andyrew
ALrighty Felix! It will basically be what shape you want it to be... because I can put the flare up top, making it a big hoop... in the middle making it like the hph flares, and mine... down at the bottom (no... not that...) or a sharper crease simular to what you have on the back... but it might be hard to convey.. but still possible..

Andrew
banksyinoz
just listened to the v8 oohh ya nothin like a no exhaust noise, cool cool_shades.gif
John Kelly
Hi Andrew,

First, congratulations on being brave enough to attack the front fenders!

Shaping them off the car may present you with some serious difficulties. You may have problems welding them in place afterwards. I would add more bracing front to back across the wheel opening at a minimum. More than that would be even better. Make sure all your shaping is done with the shotbag pressed firmly against the metal. Thus will give you the best chance of not pulling the fender out of whack.

I would weld them on the car first, then shape them, but this is a good experiment for all of us to learn from. If you do get an english wheel, you could probably do all your smoothing with just a #2 anvil wheel. If not, a palm nailer with a nearly flat shaping die would stretch out the fender pretty smoothly for a lot less money invested in tools.

One more thing, always wear the welding hood even for tack-welding! Not worth the risk. I look forward to your progress.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
neo914-6
John,

Andrew had this same idea when I first asked you about it. Us Cali guys always think out of the cat box... laugh.gif

Andrew,

Here's a pic, gotta take more...
Aaron Cox
pan on bracing the opening so it stays the same shape? across the bottom so it holds the same openeing????
jgiroux67
felix, where did you get the black turn signal lenses? Do they flash bright enough for others to see it?
neo914-6
from back, my driveway is very narrow...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Jun 25 2005, 06:50 PM)
felix, where did you get the black turn signal lenses? Do they flash bright enough for others to see it?

look closey...

they are euros...some "smoke agent" applied
neo914-6
QUOTE (jgiroux67 @ Jun 25 2005, 05:50 PM)

Josh,

This was a dedicated track car so they are non-functional at the moment...
neo914-6
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 23 2005, 11:18 PM)
did john bring that long thin piece of material that adjusted to the shape to california with him? i can't remember the correct term for it. i would think you you need to weld in the supports while the fender was still on a car to start at a common point.

k

K,

I think you are referring to the magnetic strip that allows you to see highs and lows in the shape...John forgot to bring it but I've seen it at his shop.
Andyrew
Aaron, I dont quite follow your idea.. Bracing the opening? Its already braced by the extra metal there.... Also the little factory lip will be removed by the hammer... Bracing it would be hard and IMHO redundant. We'll see though.

BTW finished taking all the metal off the fender before I went to work, Tomorrow I will start work on the lip, then on the actual flaring of the fender after I make a couple tools.

Andrew
Andyrew
Update:

Took the factory edge off today. In the process I think I broke all of my welds, and then I rewelded (I had some good practice yesterday welding on pot metal for 3 hours...) They should hold this time.

Yes the fender warped a little bit, Not much, nothing that is not fixable. but it did warp. Notice that it will not sit flush against the ground without provoking anymore.

Anyways, heres the pic. No flaring yet. just reshaping.
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
Next
Andyrew
next
Andyrew
Last.

Interesting so far. We'll see what happens when I stretch the fender a little.
TimT
One more thing, always wear the welding hood even for tack-welding! Not worth the risk.

agree.gif werd..
Chris914n6

window tint.
MikeP
ok i'm ready for more pictures......................................................................................................................
neo914-6
QUOTE (MikeP @ Jun 30 2005, 02:02 PM)
ok i'm ready for more pictures......................................................................................................................

me too....... biggrin.gif
Andyrew
lol

Actually I had more pics.. of my fenders, but my gf came over and we took some pics of her, and she started deleting the one's she liked.... and ended up deleting all the one's on the camera... lol

I'll get some tomorrow. (I will FINALLY freeking get some time tomorrow to work on them. (church till 10, work at 11-7pm. work on fenders after 7... and squeeze in some hw after that.... yippe.) (oh ya, saw my gf for 2 hours today, first time in a week... go got priorities man... lol)
neo914-6
Dude I was out the door at 7:40AM to meet Jason at PickNPull, got a door glass from an RX7 to test fit. Close but almost is not good enough! Found alternatives but will post on the side glass thread tomorrow...

Jon came by with the fender from MarkD, guess we won't need it? I'm planning a BBQ for a few of us, maybe when MarkD can travel to our side of the country. I wanted to see Elmer's car run today but can't afford the time and gas. laugh.gif
dlo914
QUOTE (Chris914n6 @ Jun 30 2005, 01:27 PM)

window tint.

you could always go w/ the model paint, that comes in an small aerosol can, available at hobby shops. it's used to tint the windows on models. works fine for lenses. a few buddies did this w/ their corner lenses and rear lenses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.