Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Cam Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nogoodwithusernames
Hey guys, time to fix one of my door handles. The plastic cam broke. I'll probably pull the passenger side and clean the inner mechanism and replace the cam on that side too just to be safe.
I've got the driver side all cleaned and lubed up in the door, but cannot figure out how to get the plastic cam off to replace it. The handle doesn't open enough to let it slide out so do I need to drill the rivet and replace it with a shoulder bolt or something?

PS I did try to read through some of the other threads about door handles but haven't found anything specifically regarding this yet.
Mikey914
I know I made mine with a notch so that you can extend the flap (pull the handle), and the notch will allow you to rotate the cam on and into place. Once installed it doesn't have this range of motion so it stays in place.

Does this help?
Nogoodwithusernames
That'll make installation super easy, I'll cut the old one off since it's busted already. I'll get your door handle kit on order and get this all taken care of.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no way just swell the legs on the flap a bit but do not bend as they will snap off.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This nylon cam was the very first aftermarket 914 part we ever made. We improved the nylon formula so that it would not break, and guarantee it for life. We have never had a warranty claim. It was my idea to bevel it for easy installation over the original which one HAD to unrivet to install!!!!!

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 19 2019, 09:31 AM) *

I know I made mine with a notch so that you can extend the flap (pull the handle), and the notch will allow you to rotate the cam on and into place. Once installed it doesn't have this range of motion so it stays in place.

Does this help?

Mikey914
Mine don't snap. Made these specifically to address that defect You change the formal on the nylon to make it harder, but they do act as a fuse to prevent excessive load on the handle, Lubricate the mechanism on the door as well as the lock. It often is more a matter of all the other parts moving freely. Shouldn't take much pressure with your finger to pop the lock. You will see when you have the door handle off.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The legs on the metal door flap snap off when trying to install the new door latch cam if not just eased back enough to pass the legs of the cam into the slots of the metal legs. If you pry on them, you will snap off the metal legs

So I guess that we have duplication here again of a part for a small market??

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 19 2019, 12:53 PM) *

Mine don't snap. Made these specifically to address that defect
Mikey914
Yes I think so we made these years ago, about the time of the targa to window seal incident.
rgalla9146
Battle of Titans
Good vs. Evil
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The point is, old New Jersey man, that I stress time and time again, is that this market is too small to duplicate what someone else is already making when there are plenty of parts that still need to be made. No one here who loves the 914 really makes parts to get rich so why kill a mans good will? Poor raul, used to make great thresholds and carpet strips that many of us purchased, and then someone else duplicated it and put the poor guy out of business

We honor our those people who have taken the time and money to make parts for this small market

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 19 2019, 02:02 PM) *

Battle of Titans
Good vs. Evil
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 19 2019, 05:13 PM) *

The point is, old New Jersey man, that I stress time and time again, is that this market is too small to duplicate what someone else is already making when there are plenty of parts that still need to be made. No one here who loves the 914 really makes parts to get rich so why kill a mans good will? Poor raul, used to make great thresholds and carpet strips that many of us purchased, and then someone else duplicated it and put the poor guy out of business

We honor our those people who have taken the time and money to make parts for this small market

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 19 2019, 02:02 PM) *

Battle of Titans
Good vs. Evil

My age ? your age ?
I am from New Jersey
smile.gif
Competition improves the breed
Mikey914
I don’t just copy parts. Honestly I have plans to make many new parts regardless of who’s making them. Why because a I can do so and very efficiently.

I’ve been doing my part to help keep these cars affordable to restore. I know for a fact I’ve been able to drive the cost of the parts down and hold them there all while shooting for the highest quality. I will continue to do so.
73-914
It's called "Joisey"
rhodyguy
Mongo say competition good. Is who gets to reproduce or sell a reproduction part going to be determined by a coin toss?
Larmo63
At least you can feel confident about buying parts from the "good" guy in this thread.

poke.gif
campbellcj
I just did this with the 914rubber piece - it was really easy. I simply destroyed (cut) the old broken part in a way that made the remaining pieces fall out. Mine was already busted into 3 pieces, one down inside the door at that point.

The painful part of this job is the access to and R&R of the handle itself. On my (race)car, the custom aluminum door panels are riveted-on, which made this task fabulously fun.

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 19 2019, 05:04 PM) *
Honestly I have plans to make many new parts regardless of who’s (already) making them. Why because a I can

blink.gif wow
Nogoodwithusernames
Didn't mean to bring up such a discussion hide.gif but I do appreciate everyone's input. I'm looking forward to getting my door back together.
Mikey914
You notice others have highlighted for dramatic effect.
Basically if there is a need I will fill it. It's what I've done.
Chi-town
If only one guy made a part for every limited production car out there it would be a nightmare.

Competition leads to better products and better prices, end of story.
URY914
DO NOT break the "legs" off the flapper part of the handle. There are no quality replacements for this piece. I can fix the broken mounting tab.
Mikey914
I think he meant the legs on the plastic cam.
GeorgeKopf
I would like to get the plastic flapper/lever thingy off of my door handles without breaking them. Does that mean that I have to remove the pin holding everything together?

Thanks.

George
Mikey914
The screw and end piece, yes.
Solocholo
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 19 2019, 11:31 AM) *

Does this help?

Sweet I will knotch mine and try the trick too
Luke M
I just rebuilt my brothers door handles using the 914rubber kits. It was super easy to install the new cam. Took less then 2 mins to cut the old cam out and get the new one on. Took longer to clean and polish the door handles. first.gif for the 914rubber parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.