Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fabrication and Welding workshop day in Petaluma: MAY 18
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tygaboy
UPDATE:
Saturday, May 18, rain or shine
Feel free to arrive any time after 7:00 AM and let's plan to go until about 5:30 PM or so, longer if needed.
I will PM my address and contact info to confirmed and tentative attendees.

Please bring your welding helmet, if you have one.

Please post here or PM me if plan to attend and indicate what you'd like to accomplish.
If you just want to observe and hang out or just pop in for a little bit and say hi, you're absolutely welcome to do that. The other attendees and I would LOVE to meet you!

Attendees and what they want to do:
Confirmed:
- markhoward: bringing his roller. Fitting, tacking/welding in passenger side rear floor
- Andyrew: Roll cage, water tank, sway bar arms
- Retroracer: fog light brackets, TIG practice, help others w/electrical
- SirAndy: Adult supervision, er, wait a minute...
- fiacra - Targa latch repair
- MartyYeoman: 914 bike rack mount blank cut on plasma table!
- Wes: Observer
- Napasteve: Observer
- 914-d: Observer
- Krieger: Fashion critic poke.gif laugh.gif
- Mueller: Sr. VP of Support to other non-Porsche engine swappers/fellow tool whore
- bob164: Observer
- Rich: Observer
- tygaboy: Helping others, messing around with my build, if time permits
- BuddyV: possible McMark GT roll bar install

Hi World -
Back in June of last year, I hosted a workshop day at my place. A few folks have asked about doing it again so I figured I start the process of seeing who might be interested and what we might do. Here's a link to last years event and activities.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=326533&hl=

Essentially, it's an opportunity to:
- just get together and hang out with like-minded folk
- get help with something you may be working on, such as bending a tube, making a bracket, welding something, or my favorite: having a part plasma cut aktion035.gif
- use a tool I have that you may not
- try some fabrication you've wanted to do
- share knowledge
- have fun

Tools that will be available:
- Hydraulic bender w/ various dies.
- Hydraulic press
- Tubing notcher
- Roll bender w/various dies
- Plasma table
- 48" sheet metal brake
- bead roller
- shrinker / stretcher
- English wheel
- fixturing table
- band saw (al and steel)
- cold saw
- TIG welder
- MIG welder
- Body working hammers/dollies
- brake/fuel line forming tools (bender, 45 and 37 degree flare making)
- misc. hand and air tools

Please feel free to come even if all you want to do is hang out! Heck, worst case, you watch me struggle with something on my car!

Anyway, post here what you have that you'd like to work on or if you plan to come.
If a PM is easier for you or you want to talk details, just let me know.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing, helping, watching, learning and just hanging out with you!
Chris
markhoward
Definitely into it. Was a great time last year!
Andyrew
In.

Just let us know when!
mb911
Chris would love to but a little far for me..
defianty
Obviously this is just a bit too far away for me to attend biggrin.gif but a fantastic opportunity for anyone interested. Nice one Chris.

I went on a one day course years ago offered buy a UK club member who has gained a reputation as being one of the best 911 bodywork guys out there. Having never welded before that day it gave me the confidence that I could do it. Based on just that one day I restored my car.

If you're even vaguely interested take the opportunity and learn something new. With like-minded teener owners you'll have fun too.
914forme
~$350 is not bad to get me to San Fran, then a short - okay long drive time wise up 101, sounds interesting, and fun.

Need to set a date and I need to figure out if I am purchasing another Porsche and selling everything else that did not get manufactured in the proper side of Germany.
ValcoOscar
This was a total blast last year. Depending on date, I'll try to make it again.

beerchug.gif

The BBQ joint where we had lunch was a special treat chowtime.gif

Oscar
fiacra
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 22 2019, 01:19 PM) *

Hi World -
Back in June of last year, I hosted a workshop day at my place. A few folks have asked about doing it again so I figured I start the process of seeing who might be interested and what we might do. Here's a link to last years event and activities.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=326533&hl=

Essentially, it's an opportunity to:
- just get together and hang out with like-minded folk
- get help with something you may be working on, such as bending a tube, making a bracket, welding something, or my favorite: having a part plasma cut aktion035.gif
- use a tool I have that you may not
- try some fabrication you've wanted to do
- share knowledge
- have fun

Tools that will be available:
- Hydraulic bender w/ various dies.
- Hydraulic press
- Tubing notcher
- Roll bender w/various dies
- Plasma table
- 48" sheet metal brake
- bead roller
- shrinker / stretcher
- English wheel
- fixturing table
- band saw (al and steel)
- cold saw
- TIG welder
- MIG welder
- Body working hammers/dollies
- brake/fuel line forming tools (bender, 45 and 37 degree flare making)
- misc. hand and air tools

Please feel free to come even if all you want to do is hang out! Heck, worst case, you watch me struggle with something on my car!

Anyway, post here what you have that you'd like to work on or if you plan to come.
If a PM is easier for you or you want to talk details, just let me know.

Thanks and I look forward to seeing, helping, watching, learning and just hanging out with you!
Chris

You can count me in, depending up day/date. I work Saturdays, but with enough advance warning I can get someone to cover for me. Sounds like just what I need as I have no welding/fabrication experience and I would love to expand my skill set.... Coming from the East Bay so Petaluma is easy driving distance.
Retroracer
Chris - love the idea, you should do this again. And, I agree with Oscar, the lunch BBQ was spectacular, with good company and great conversation as a bonus!

For me personally, I may have issues attending - depending on timing - as it looks like I have some work commitments in Austin for all of June and July. Either way, as a great philosopher once said: "build it and they will come".

- Tony

Carl La Fong
There is a nice little airport up there and a short uber drive away. biggrin.gif
tygaboy
How does Saturday, May 18 sound?
BuddyV
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 22 2019, 03:14 PM) *

~$350 is not bad to get me to San Fran, then a short - okay long drive time wise up 101, sounds interesting, and fun.

Need to set a date and I need to figure out if I am purchasing another Porsche and selling everything else that did not get manufactured in the proper side of Germany.

Stepnen..... fly into SFO or Oakland, and I will pick you up and drive you to Petaluma (North Bay Hospitality!)

beerchug.gif

Robert
BuddyV
Chris - do you think your welding guru friend might be interested in welding in my McMark GT roll Bar???

It's just sitting up in the rafters..... either I install it, or sell it.

I would be happy to pay for his expertise...... his welds are epic.

Robert
tygaboy
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Apr 22 2019, 09:42 PM) *

Chris - do you think your welding guru friend might be interested in welding in my McMark GT roll Bar???

Robert

Hi Robert - I'm sure we could twist his arm, especially if you're will to throw a bit of cash at him! Send me a couple pics of the bar and I'll show it to him and see what he thinks.
Dave_Darling
Definitely interested! Don't know if I'll be able to make it, but I will try!!

--DD
jcd914
I think this is a great idea, I wanted to come last year and I would love to be able to come this year but timing is against me. May 18 is my daughter's college graduation and I'll be in Long Beach that weekend and the next. It would be hard to fit in the time before WCR if I am to finish my 914, well maybe just make it drivable even for WCR.

I'll watch this thread and if the timing changes maybe I can make it.

Jim
Superhawk996
What an awesome and gracious offer. first.gif

Shame (for me) so many of you 914'ers are out in CA!
914-d
I'm pretty much local. I will put this on my calander just to come and hang out.

Will bring BEER
wes
Thanks for doing this sounds great! I’m very interested and May 18 looks good at this point.
Morph914
I don’t think I’ll be able to make this one, but I highly recommend this to others if you can. I had a great time meeting a bunch of the guys and drooling over Chris’s tools and build. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
piratenanner.gif
Krieger
I might be able to make it!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 23 2019, 09:54 PM) *

I might be able to make it!

You must! It simply wouldn't be the same without you! Who'll give me a hard time about my funny shoes? laugh.gif
markhoward
Trying to come up with a project. 914 is still not running and waiting for hell hole and right rear floor replacement. Also have fender cutouts for the rear that will eventually make my funky flares go away (thanks @nacho ). All that stuff seems unfeasible but I do need to fabricate a small splash panel for my 61 Lincoln Continental. That could be a nice little project for the day but would rather find something 914. Will see what else is out there..
Nacho
QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 24 2019, 09:39 AM) *

Trying to come up with a project. 914 is still not running and waiting for hell hole and right rear floor replacement. Also have fender cutouts for the rear that will eventually make my funky flares go away (thanks @nacho ). All that stuff seems unfeasible but I do need to fabricate a small splash panel for my 61 Lincoln Continental. That could be a nice little project for the day but would rather find something 914. Will see what else is out there..

beerchug.gif

tygaboy
QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 24 2019, 07:39 AM) *

@markhoward Hey Mark, Are you sure? If you wanted, I could trailer your car here/back and we could go after the floor or part of the hell hole or maybe a fender or two.
I bet other attendees would appreciate seeing that and/or have experience with those sorts of repairs and could jump in and help, tell us what we're doing wrong, etc. lol-2.gif
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk details.
Chris
markhoward
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Apr 24 2019, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(markhoward @ Apr 24 2019, 07:39 AM) *

@markhoward Hey Mark, Are you sure? If you wanted, I could trailer your car here/back and we could go after the floor or part of the hell hole or maybe a fender or two.
I bet other attendees would appreciate seeing that and/or have experience with those sorts of repairs and could jump in and help, tell us what we're doing wrong, etc. lol-2.gif
Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk details.
Chris

@tygaboy Would totally be into that! Will connect on PM and figure out a plan.
napasteve
This was great fun last year. I'll try to make it again this year. Thanks Chris.
tygaboy
QUOTE(napasteve @ Apr 24 2019, 10:55 AM) *

This was great fun last year. I'll try to make it again this year. Thanks Chris.

Yea! @napasteve - I was hoping you could be part of the day!
914forme
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Apr 23 2019, 12:42 AM) *

Robert

@buddyV Robert thank you, the is a great offer. May 18th, I am out of service, I have a doctor getting her second phd, that I need to attend to her graduation. Proud poppa moment there.
tygaboy
See first post for latest updates!
Hope to see you at the Red Barn!
Andyrew
You can put me down as in.

Tools bringing:
Welder
Grinder/fab tools
Folding table
EZ up

Projects:
Roll cage (tube bender)
Water tank (general fab/welder
Sway bar arms (plasma cnc)
Retroracer
May 18 on calendar - I'm in!

If the Gelbgrun 6 survives the Luftgekuhlt/LA trip intact I'll bring it along. Might be thinking about some fog light brackets if your welding buddy is around (and I get time to cut and bend some metal to suit). Learning TIG techniques on some scrap pieces would also be useful, although helping others with any other projects is fine too.

I have some electrical / electronics skills if debug is needed or electrical gremlins need exorcising.

- Tony
tygaboy
First post updated to include @Andyrew and @Retroracer .

Tony - You mentioned sourcing and bending some material. Let me know what you need as I may have some suitable remnants you can use.

And I can easily run to Van Bebber (my local metal supplier) and grab whatever anyone needs, just let me know.
Andyrew
10 days away! Gotta start working on my drawings.....
SirAndy
I'll schwing by and just hang out and pester all you guys while you're trying to get something done.

I can bring some refreshments, although i'm not sure how well drinking and welding go together. Maybe we'll reserve the drinking for the spectators.
biggrin.gif beerchug.gif drunk.gif welder.gif unsure.gif icon8.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
tygaboy
And remember, I'm pretty quick with 2D CAD and also have the BendTech templates for tabs and brackets. I'm more than willing to help you translate your idea into metal.

So... Anyone who may want something plasma cut, please join us on Sat, May 18!

I have 18 and 20 ga sheet, some 10 and 14 ga, too. Lots of scraps (sheet and tubing) for anyone interested in practicing TIG and MIG.

And to be clear: Other than being on your own for lunch, there are no costs associated with any of this. I'm happy to supply materials, welding and plasma consumables, etc.

Come share and learn and hang out with other 914 fans. Or just point and laugh at my build! laugh.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 8 2019, 01:11 PM) *

I can bring some refreshments, although i'm not sure how well drinking and welding go together.

It goes GREAT!

Grinding on the other hand...
fiacra
I will be there. Got someone to cover for me at work. I'm mostly just looking forward to meeting everyone and learning from watching, being an extra pair of hands, etc. I may bring a small project (targa latch repair) just for fun. I'll also bring my med kit just in case drinking and welding don't go together well..... beer3.gif
markhoward
Now I understand.. no 914 is rust free! Looking forward to coming out. In the mean time, lots to do if I'm going to be ready to weld something in on the 18th!!
Mueller
Going to have to bail, next time?
tygaboy
NOTE:
May 18 is also the Salute to American Grafitti in Petaluma.
Most of downtown is closed off, tons of cool hot rods, multiple bands playing, food vendors, etc.

Come hang at my place for a while, meet some of the 914 World-ers then head to the American Grafitti event.

Fun for the whole family!

https://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-events/...erican-graffiti
MartyYeoman
PM sent.
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 12 2019, 11:20 AM) *

NOTE:
May 18 is also the Salute to American Grafitti in Petaluma.
Most of downtown is closed off, tons of cool hot rods, multiple bands playing, food vendors, etc.

Come hang at my place for a while, meet some of the 914 World-ers then head to the American Grafitti event.

Fun for the whole family!

https://www.sonomacounty.com/sonoma-events/...erican-graffiti

Well, Modesto did it first! piratenanner.gif

But Petaluma does it very well. biggrin.gif I like their duplication of the rear end rip aktion035.gif

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
@dan10101 sorry we won't see you this time!
tygaboy
They are currently predicting an 80% chance of rain but we're doing this event rain or shine!

I've been organizing the shop and there should be plenty of room to do what everyone is looking to do.

@markhoward We can get your car inside, if needed. Worst case I can move my car out of the way. We'll just see what Saturday weather dictates.

See you all on Sat! smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif aktion035.gif
dan10101
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 13 2019, 06:31 PM) *

@dan10101 sorry we won't see you this time!

I wish I could. But I'll bend a roll hoop remembering you all!

Have fun!
Andyrew
QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 13 2019, 06:35 PM) *

They are currently predicting an 80% chance of rain but we're doing this event rain or shine!

I've been organizing the shop and there should be plenty of room to do what everyone is looking to do.

@markhoward We can get your car inside, if needed. Worst case I can move my car out of the way. We'll just see what Saturday weather dictates.

I'll bring my 13x13 EZ up. We can throw a car under there or do work under it.

Looking forward to Saturday!!!!
tygaboy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 13 2019, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(tygaboy @ May 13 2019, 06:35 PM) *

I'll bring my 13x13 EZ up. We can throw a car under there or do work under it.

Looking forward to Saturday!!!!

Cool, And I have a 10x10, as well. We'll be fine!
markhoward
thanks chris ( @tygaboy )! bought a popup canopy today. that should do the trick unless its a big downpour. plugin away on the 914 all week (except thursday trackday at thunderhill). found some rust in the long. not too bad. spent the day acid washing. should have it set to get some metal in on saturday!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.