Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No first or reverse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
I’ve got a short shifter with tangerine sport linkage ,after taking the engine out and putting back in I can’t get first or reverse but all the other gears
What do I have to adjust to sort this out
Superhawk996
Assuming you didn't disturb the linkage from firewall up to shift lever and that you had a working shifter before the engine and trans came out.

I'm also going to assume you have a late model side shift transmission. If you have a tail shift disregard all my info below and post the year of your vehicle so we can be sure of what you have.

Sounds like you are getting full in/out motion of the shift lever that comes out of the transmission. By "in/out" I mean into and out of the transmission itself.

Try shifting the trans end linkage by hand. If you can engage all gears then you can be sure the issue is with the linkage itself. Sometimes you can get a blocked gear(s) with the vehicle static. Try rolling it (or turning both wheels simultaneously if jacked up) to ensure that you don't just have gear clash preventing static shifting.

Check the attachments both at front and rear end of the shift linkage that is routed beneath the engine.

Both ends have a conical fastener (OE is a hex head screw with a conical tip) to index the respective ends to the other linkages. if those conical fasteners are not indexed properly you will have issues.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 23 2019, 04:30 PM) *

I'm also going to assume you have a late model side shift transmission.

It is a sideshift.
He has the full boat upgrade with Rennshift and Tangerine Shift Linkage, with Precision Shift Adjuster.
SirAndy
Make sure all the shift linkage couplers are tight (double check them cone screws), then losen the shift rod at the base of the shifter.

Put the transmission into 2nd by hand, put your shifter forward and center and tighten the shift rod.

That way you should have the 2nd/3rd plane in the center of the shifter and be able to go left/right for 1st/rev and 4th/5th.

smash.gif
VaccaRabite
I have the full boat upgrade on my car too, and getting it adjusted took some time.
While tuning the shifter, make sure the up and down shift stops are backed off. You close those down last.

When I did it on my car, the shift rod itself was just barely touching something (I don't recall what) on the 4/5 plane that made those gears a bitch to get to. I had to relieve the impingement and suddenly everything went much easier.

As Andy said, you gotta start with the 2/3 plane.

Find one of DrEvil's posts and download the Shift Adjustment document that he has linked in his sig file. Its comprehensive and will get you there.

Zach
Mikey914
It’s the lateral throw that’s not far enough. You loose these gears when the stock knuckle bushings fail. It doesn’t “twist” enough.
mepstein
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 25 2019, 01:46 PM) *

I have the full boat upgrade on my car too, and getting it adjusted took some time.
While tuning the shifter, make sure the up and down shift stops are backed off. You close those down last.

When I did it on my car, the shift rod itself was just barely touching something (I don't recall what) on the 4/5 plane that made those gears a bitch to get to. I had to relieve the impingement and suddenly everything went much easier.

As Andy said, you gotta start with the 2/3 plane.

Find one of DrEvil's posts and download the Shift Adjustment document that he has linked in his sig file. Its comprehensive and will get you there.

Zach

Sometimes the bolt in the tunnel next to the seats will rub against the clutch tube or a seatbelt bolt.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 25 2019, 03:12 PM) *

It’s the lateral throw that’s not far enough. You loose these gears when the stock knuckle bushings fail. It doesn’t “twist” enough.

If he has the tangerine linkage, this isn't an issue. But a lot happens to these cars over 50 years so you have to go through the issues step by step. Sometimes you need someone to move the lever while you spot the issues.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.