Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Here is a picture from under the car at front axle. This started out simple enough, troubleshooting brake pressure switch. The switch is fine and have to look elsewhere for why the indicator light is on. I suspect the issue is at the indicator lamp in dash cluster suspect it has ground hooked onto it that it shouldn't. I'll figure that part out later. Now I am waiting on rubber parts. As you can see in the picture the boot for the switch is destroyed and needs to be replaced.
My question is: what is that plate in the middle (of the picture) with 2 bolts holding it on where the white ty-wrap is? It looks like one bolt may be a bit loose and leaking a bit? Is it some sort of inspection plate? Should I remove it and take a look inside? Also does everything else look normal? Looks like the fuel pump and filter are fairly new. If all is good I plan on putting my new rubber pieces on and close that area up.
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
Steering rack cover plate to pinion .

Unless you are having steering rack issues - tighten and move along unless you intend to get into the steering rack for disassembly and repairs and subsequent pinion yoke adjustment.

Start planning it as next years project though!
SirAndy
That's a cover for the steering rack where the rod meets the gear that moves the tie rods.

There shouldn't be anything in there that can leak beside grease.
idea.gif
barefoot
It's part of the rack & pinion, a spring load to keep the rack in close contact to the pinion
Tom_T
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Apr 23 2019, 04:46 PM) *

Tom,

The others above answered your rack cover plate question.

But to chime in for other members sure to come up with the annual flood of "It's Hot & my car won't start after I stopped." posts ....

The really good thing is that you have the fuel pump relocated up under the steering rack, as per the Porsche Service Bulletin on the Vapor Lock fix from back in the late 1970s. It looks like a clean job, & if done properly with a quality pump, hoses, etc.

So if done properly, you won't have any vapor lock no-start problems ever again! smile.gif

So the rest of you looking for why your darned 914 won't restart after running on a hot day - relocate your danged fuel pump, & use Toms pretty picture of it! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rob-O
As others have said, a cover plate. I agree to tighten it up and move on. In addition to the spring putting tension on the rod, there are a number of shins in there so that the spring gives the proper amount of tension on the rod. If you get curious and open it up be careful. Make sure you reinstall the all of the shins when you close it back up.
tmc914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Apr 24 2019, 04:03 PM) *

As others have said, a cover plate. I agree to tighten it up and move on. In addition to the spring putting tension on the rod, there are a number of shins in there so that the spring gives the proper amount of tension on the rod. If you get curious and open it up be careful. Make sure you reinstall the all of the shins when you close it back up.

Oh no, I'm not opening that up unless I have to. Got enough projects added to projects, "while I'm there" type stuff.
Thanks all for the informative posts. I am getting more brave with tackling small projects on the car.
Mikey914
Yes no reason to open it up unless you are trying to change the tension.
Best to do that during a rebuild. Not much to see, and the shims do serve a purpose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.