Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what is my car worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
AAA offered to come by and appraise my car so I can switch from the "normal" car insurance I currently have on my 914 to classic car insurance for the stated value.

I have AAA for all my insurance, so I'm not interested in going elsewhere at this time.

Car is not painted an official Porsche color. It's "Shiny Primer Gray". I did not paint the engine bay or area around the gas tank. The original color was Metallic Silver. All new rubber seals, top has been painted and texture-coated with Wurth's, bumpers are re-chromed, engine is stock 1.7L (the only mod is Pertronix ignition), I have a side-shift transmission and recently re-built the transmission, interior is nice, except I have a dash cover hiding some cracks. I have later doors. Heater works, too!

I've posted some pics. Let me know what you think I should use for stated value.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
A few more pics:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Coondog
I would insure it for 25,000. I to have AAA but they gave me a super high quote.
Call American collectors Ins. You set the amount you want insured. No insp no stupid rules.
888-451-2858
windforfun
What's the actual mileage? How's the rust?
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 23 2019, 07:35 PM) *

What's the actual mileage? How's the rust?

Don't know the actual mileage. Speedo was busted when I got it. I'd seem to remember about 30K; I'll try and dig up the old speedo and see.

Car was in a garage for about 20 years from what the seller told me. It was an uncles who bought it, drove it, then died and left the car in a garage. The seller got it running and sold it to me.

Hell hole is in great shape. It does have a fabricated battery tray, though. I had a little at the back of the rear trunk that I grinded away. No major rust anywhere else, that I've found, and I've gone over the whole car because I prepped and painted it myself.
Go to the Haggerty site,you can value your car there..Guarantee value policy.. Ive had both of my 914's Insured there for years..Good Luck..
914/Alan
burton73
Your car is looking very nice.

Porsche did have that color in early 911 like 67

Good luck on the insurance.

Best regards,

Bob Burton
Larmo63
I'd try for $20K or more.

No reason to sell yourself short.
Triaddave
One word: HAGERTY. They just posted the values of our cars depending on condition of coarse. easy to read. And they will insure at any value you want...
eric9144
~$25k ish to be safe--I have AAA classic and it's about $145 a year @ that agreed value
914_teener
Oh boy, I understand your interest in not going anywhere else but......

I did the same thing and AAA came over to inspect my car for agreed value. The guy never showed up. Finally after playing phone tag he met me at my house.

First, like Haggerty's it needs to be in a locked garage. Next he inspected the garage to make sure there were no "bowling balls" in the rafters. We discussed value an I wanted 20k. He said no problem.

2 weeks went by and the policy was set to expire the next day and still no offer to insure the car. When I called that day to find out what happened they claimed the agent had entered notes saying the car would be insured for 15K agreed value.

I hung up the phone and called Haggerty's. NO problem they wrote the policy that day for 20K stated value.

Just my experience. If I didn't know any better they played me to the last minute.

Good luck.
colingreene
Id say 20k min, it looks to be a really nice well sorted car and thats getting harder and harder to come by these days.
my 911 is insured for 30 but im thinking about bumping it up...
Hagerty was fairly reasonable.
infraredcalvin
I’d find it hard to believe an appraiser for AAA is going to get to 20-25, especially when Hagerty values 8-13.5k for a good to fair car, which looks like your car falls within that range.

That being said if you can push it up you should. As one who just got rear ended in my street/race car with agreed value of 15k, I’m worried about them totaling my car. Even though I’ll be ahead from what I bought it for, in no way could you recreate the car for under 30k+. Salvage value+repair cost is what comes into play on an agreed value car. So I want the salvage value to come in low so it gives more room for repair costs to come in high.

On the other hand the vehicle at fault insurance company wants to come out a appraise (before accident value) my car so they can give me a settlement/repair offer. In that case I want it to appraise for as much as possible.
euro911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 23 2019, 07:32 PM) *
I would insure it for 25,000. I to have AAA but they gave me a super high quote.
Call American collectors Ins. You set the amount you want insured. No insp no stupid rules.
888-451-2858
What are the mileage restriction and grocery-getting rules from Hagerty?
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 24 2019, 08:07 PM) *

888-451-2858

You state the miles that you think you will drive. It cannot be a daily driver or "groceey getter".
914_teener
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 24 2019, 08:07 PM) *

888-451-2858

You state the miles that you think you will drive. It cannot be a daily driver or "groceey getter".
914 RZ-1
I discussed insuring it for $20K with the agent. She told me they know people with classic cars put way more care and money into them than what they are supposedly worth at fair market value and they take that into account.

They came out to inspect it with no issues. I took the same pictures I saw the inspector take.

I'd argue it's worth at least $16-$20K. I'd say it's slightly nicer than the Hagerty value, but I would say that wouldn't I? smile.gif I say $13.5K is too low. Everything works, it's nice inside and out and I haven't made any major mods. There are currently a few 914's in the LA area for sale at $17,000 in CL.

AAA has a mileage max of 1,500 miles per year. I told her I've driven it about 5,000 in the past 3 years, with the car being off the road for one of those years. That's 1,700 to 2,500 miles per year. I drive it a few times a month to warm up the oil and keep everything from drying out. She told me to keep it as close to 1,500 as possible. What's the point of having a bichin' car if you can't drive it? driving.gif
Fatarse
Another vote for Hagerty. I had mine insured for $20k and figure I could bump it up as my car gets closer to road worthy condition.
burton73
If you go past the mileage that they say, they do not have to make good on a claim. Or let me say they can dispute it. More miles more risk they take. The odds of a classic car getting totaled in 1500 miles is much lower than 10,000-12000 miles a year. Classic insurance is a big money maker for the insurance companies

Bob B
burton73
QUOTE(Fatarse @ Apr 26 2019, 12:24 PM) *

Another vote for Hagerty. I had mine insured for $20k and figure I could bump it up as my car gets closer to road worthy condition.

agree.gif

Bob B
thelogo
Do be stupid and go with hagerty
And if you do dont dare drive anywhere but around the car show parking lot

Or you could be like me and go with grundy .

I drive mine like a guy who used to be around here
Who did 90mph in his 914 with a hot women on his lap and a big cigar with a bottle of root beer .
(You guys know who im talkin about)

Let this be a lesson dont live your life by restrictions

But im a big fan of jim grundy

And why would any one not wanna drive their
914 all the time
Weather permitting
euro911
Disconnect the mechanical speedo's cable at the trans every now & then and install a GPS speedo somewhere near the dash. You can always reconnect the mechanical cable if the car needs an additional inspection, or ... confused24.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Fatarse @ Apr 26 2019, 01:24 PM) *

If your car isn't registered for street use yet, you can get comprehensive-only insurance from Hagerty that is designed for cars under restoration. They also offer an endorsement that automatically increases your insured value 10% per month so your insured value increases with your car's value as the restoration progresses. I took out a $25K policy on mine with that endorsement for $135 for the year. You have to call them for the comp-only because it won't show up in their online quote system.
Big Len
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 26 2019, 04:09 PM) *

Do be stupid and go with hagerty
And if you do dont dare drive anywhere but around the car show parking lot

Or you could be like me and go with grundy .

I drive mine like a guy who used to be around here
Who did 90mph in his 914 with a hot women on his lap and a big cigar with a bottle of root beer .
(You guys know who im talkin about)

Let this be a lesson dont live your life by restrictions

But im a big fan of jim grundy

And why would any one not wanna drive their
914 all the time
Weather permitting

Look's like you're misinformed and insulting. I, like many others, have Hagerty and we're not "stupid".
Your misinformation is the fact that both companies have the same mileage restriction, in that neither company insures daily drivers. Other than that, they are similar and both are good companies that have been in business a long time.
If I recall as it's been a few years, Grundy had a 7 to 10 day waiting period to review the policy and the pictures you must send to them. Hagerty allowed instant coverage the day that I bought the car so I could drive it home. Other than that, there's no wrong move in enlisting either company.
steuspeed
Go with Hagerty if this is not your daily driver. I would insure for $15K ~$220/yr. Average value on a 73 1.7 is $13,500.
Tdskip
Hagerty, Hagerty, and then some more Hagerty.

Larmo63
I've always had Hagerty on my Porsches starting with the 356s.

They are a great company, easy to deal with and professional.

I'm very pleased with them and have been for years.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 23 2019, 07:19 PM) *
I have AAA for all my insurance, so I'm not interested in going elsewhere at this time.

Wow, let see if I could help get this back on track.

That’s great that the appraiser will accept the $20k, I guess I fear the worst when hearing about insurance companies sending an appraiser out, especially after an accident, when they’re trying to get out of it for the least amount possible.

Just remember that they may offer insure it for more, but they’ll also be happy to charge you more... be aware of what you pay vs what it would take to fix or replace.

Also, be very clear on any restrictions. I have a rider on mine that allows me to take it to work or use for errands., I pay more, but when I got rear ended the other day, that was one of the first questions they asked...

Good luck!
914 RZ-1
They rejected the car for coverage. Here's what the underwriter said:

Our underwriting staff has completed a review of your recent submittal application for California Collector Car Insurance. We regret we can not insure you at this time because the total ratio of drivers to vehicles in your home is such that this vehicle would be considered a primary, secondary, or alternate use vehicle for you. This use condition is not acceptable for the Collector Car Policy with the Exchange

She emailed me the following:

If an additional vehicle is purchased that we could rate your daughter on, or just an additional vehicle in general, the policy would then qualify based on the underwriter’s reasoning. If that is an option for you and your family in the future, please let me know so we can reapply.

I have 3 cars (minivan, truck and 914) and 3 drivers. I think it's just asinine to assume or even think that I would consider letting a 17 year-old new driver behind the wheel of my 914. I wish the agent would have said something before this all happened. We might get another car for my daughter, but for now she can drive the minivan or my truck.

I left a message with the agent. Stay tuned. Looks like I'll need to call Hagerty.
burton73
Look there have increased risk. I know that your 17 is cool but what if her friends talk her into taking the 914 out for a spin? They look at these things in their risk assessment. This is why insurance company’s make so much money. It is a biz.

Best if there is an extra car for the total number of drivers.

Bob B
mepstein
American Family has worked for me and my two insured 914's. My kids are on our regular policy but not on the classic car policy so it's not an issue for me or them. My son has his own car now but it worked when we had 2 or 3 daily driver cars and 2 kids at home. Rates are very good for good coverage. Couple hundred a year for both 914's. Only real stipulation is they have to be stored inside. Hagerty wanted double for same coverage. Mileage limit is 3K but I can increase it by paying $5 for every 1K extra.
euro911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 30 2019, 08:10 PM) *
American Family has worked for me and my two insured 914's. My kids are on our regular policy but not on the classic car policy so it's not an issue for me or them. My son has his own car now but it worked when we had 2 or 3 daily driver cars and 2 kids at home. Rates are very good for good coverage. Couple hundred a year for both 914's. Only real stipulation is they have to be stored inside. Hagerty wanted double for same coverage. Mileage limit is 3K but I can increase it by paying $5 for every 1K extra.
That sounds very reasonable idea.gif
infraredcalvin
You might have the same issue with any of the others, especially Hagerty. They all ask for number of drivers and number of cars in the household. The only way to not include them from the risk assessment was to omit the information.

When I had Hagerty both my daily’s had to be 5 years old or newer when the policy was implemented, otherwise they’d consider the classic as a backup. They never followed up after that, but I also don’t really keep my daily’s any longer than 5 years anyway.

Ended up going through Leland West after Hagerty jumped 15% one year then over 20% the following. They told me it was due to excessive claims throughout the industry during current and prior years...
rhodyguy
1500 miles per would get me to the WCR. One way...not so good.
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 1 2019, 09:38 AM) *

You might have the same issue with any of the others, especially Hagerty. They all ask for number of drivers and number of cars in the household. The only way to not include them from the risk assessment was to omit the information.

When I had Hagerty both my daily’s had to be 5 years old or newer when the policy was implemented, otherwise they’d consider the classic as a backup. They never followed up after that, but I also don’t really keep my daily’s any longer than 5 years anyway.

Ended up going through Leland West after Hagerty jumped 15% one year then over 20% the following. They told me it was due to excessive claims throughout the industry during current and prior years...

My policy has gone up about $5/year. 15 then 20% sounds excessive.
914 RZ-1
I thought this would be much easier. Sigh...

I see why they want more cars in the house than drivers, but this is a "classic" car, not some beater; I'm not letting anyone drive this, and when I drive it, it's for events and fun. My daughter can't even drive a stick! In the unlikely event that one of her friends convinces her to take it for a spin, I'll report it as stolen. The 914 is not an "alternative vehicle", either; it's my hobby/project/toy/midlife crisis.

My other cars are all older than 5 years (2008 and 2011). They are well-taken car of. They both have around 150K miles on them, but I'd take them on a road trip with no worries at all. I realize the insurance companies might not care about maintenance, but it seems like it's something they should at least take into account.

I guess I'll make some phone calls to the companies recommended in this post and see what they say. You've all given my good advice about what to ask ands look out for. thanks for the he beerchug.gif lp and input!

Anybody have any experience with Safeco?
914_teener
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Apr 30 2019, 07:31 PM) *

They rejected the car for coverage. Here's what the underwriter said:

Our underwriting staff has completed a review of your recent submittal application for California Collector Car Insurance. We regret we can not insure you at this time because the total ratio of drivers to vehicles in your home is such that this vehicle would be considered a primary, secondary, or alternate use vehicle for you. This use condition is not acceptable for the Collector Car Policy with the Exchange

She emailed me the following:

If an additional vehicle is purchased that we could rate your daughter on, or just an additional vehicle in general, the policy would then qualify based on the underwriter’s reasoning. If that is an option for you and your family in the future, please let me know so we can reapply.

I have 3 cars (minivan, truck and 914) and 3 drivers. I think it's just asinine to assume or even think that I would consider letting a 17 year-old new driver behind the wheel of my 914. I wish the agent would have said something before this all happened. We might get another car for my daughter, but for now she can drive the minivan or my truck.

I left a message with the agent. Stay tuned. Looks like I'll need to call Hagerty.

Don't mean to say I told you so, but I've been down this path before when my kids were living at home. Unless you declare or exempt your teenager (under 18) from driving your vehicles....you are screwed with AAA classic car insurance. I put my daughters/sons on separate policies and my kids paid me the difference in the policy after they were 18. They just don't want to write them especially if there are other drivers, and especially young drivers.

I know that may sound harsh, but those are the realities of risk and driving a car that a young person just needs to experience.

All of them have been accidents and with all but two of them (I have 5) totaled the cars with my youngest 20 year old just a couple of years ago. She got a new car and is now 22 and learned her lesson well. It is just the statistics.

AAA is VERY conservative with their underwriting, I'd go with someone else.

IMEO ( In My Experienced Opinion).

Good Luck
tpines
I have State Farm and have been very happy. Since I have a carport and not a garage all the other companies wouldn't insure me. State Farm insured my 73 2.0 for a stated value of 25K without an underwriter coming out to check on it. It cost me $350 annually for full Classic Car insurance. I would look into State Farm. Good luck!

Clark
john77
I have my 914 and 2002 tii insured through ANPAC. The positive is as long as it's not a daily they'll let you drive it anywhere you want. The negative is you have to get a third party appraisal if you want a stated value, which costs money.

The reason I went with them was because Hagerty would only insure my cars for 'driving to and from shows' or something to that effect.

HOWEVER

I borrowed a friends BMW 2002 M2 for a couple of months while my 2002 was on jackstands. He transferred the title to my name and his mate was a Hagerty rep, so I insured it with them.

About 4 weeks into me borrowing it some dipshit reversed out of the entrance to a parking garage straight into the front of me (I was waiting behind him to go into the parking garage).

He did $17K worth of damage.

Hagerty were absolutely amazing to deal with and paid up with no questions asked before the other guys insurance had even accepted liability.

At no point did anyone ask me if I was driving to or from a show smile.gif

So, in my limited experience, I have nothing but good things to say about them and will more than likely switch my other cars to them in the future.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tpines @ May 1 2019, 05:53 PM) *

I have State Farm and have been very happy. Since I have a carport and not a garage all the other companies wouldn't insure me. State Farm insured my 73 2.0 for a stated value of 25K without an underwriter coming out to check on it. It cost me $350 annually for full Classic Car insurance. I would look into State Farm. Good luck!

Clark

agree.gif

I have had State Farm insurance since my first car. Liability insurance is a given, and mandatory here in Texas. We also have an "Agreed Value" policy on all three of the 914s. To get this, we take the cars to a local shop that has a "914 Expert" on staff. He (Ed Mayo, PCA National Early 911 and 914 Expert) appraises the car, and writes a letter stating that it will take X number of dollars to replace the car if it is totaled in an accident. That letter is given to our agent, and State Farm sets up collision insurance line a new car for that value. While they did double check the value with current auction prices on the factory six, they covered them completely. It's not cheap, but there are no mileage or usage restrictions at all.

It helps that both of us are long time customers with good driving records.

914 RZ-1
The happy ending:

My daughter got a car from my in-laws! They bought a new car, and instead of trading in the old one, just gave it to us. It just happened to be around her birthday.

I called AAA and they insured it for $15,000. Seems they thought the 914 would be a backup car for ME in the event that my daughter needed one of the other cars. Now that she has a car, it's a moot point.

And, my overall insurance premiums went down a few hundred dollars a year.
brcacti
What about American collectors insurance that is what I have, anyone else?
Coondog
QUOTE(brcacti @ Oct 1 2019, 06:30 PM) *

What about American collectors insurance that is what I have, anyone else?

I got them 100k policy. 700 per year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.