Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
I re did the sail panels 2 years ago and now they are starting to bubble. I used the recommended adhesive and prepared the metal but it still happened.
Is there any fix without completely redoing the whole thing.
Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no way I am sorry, probably reacted with the paint. You now probably have a mess on your hands once you remove the vinyl

QUOTE(tomh @ Apr 24 2019, 07:36 AM) *

I re did the sail panels 2 years ago and now they are starting to bubble. I used the recommended adhesive and prepared the metal but it still happened.
Thanks
windforfun
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2019, 06:45 AM) *

no way I am sorry, probably reacted with the paint. You now probably have a mess on your hands once you remove the vinyl

Thanks

One possibility is to inject adhesive into the bubble with a syringe with a very fine needle. I've seen flooring guys do this with linoleum. The bubble is then rolled out with the tool of your choice.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(windforfun @ Apr 24 2019, 02:44 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 24 2019, 06:45 AM) *

Thanks

One possibility is to inject adhesive into the bubble with a syringe with a very fine needle. I've seen flooring guys do this with linoleum. The bubble is then rolled out with the tool of your choice.

I have to do this as well, same deal about 4 years old.
I think you wouldn't want too fine a needle, adhesive is a lot thicker than most drugs, a diabetic needle likely would bust before it came out the tip.

What would be a recommended adhesive?
Intubator
Try taking a small needle or pin and penetrate though the vinyl. Then push the air out until its flat again, then take a heat gun, and heat the vinyl around that area and place a flat block of wood against the surface equalizing the pressure around where the bubble was. This should slightly melt the underlying adhesive and make it re-adhere getting rid of the bubble. Hopefully all you have is a very small pin hole in the end. The cause of the bubble is probably solvent pop from the adhesive unless its moisture related then you may have other problems...
second wind
Define bubbles? Sounds like rust to me......not to be negative.....
gg
Mikey914
I’ve seen it bubble when the adveasive hasn’t completely flashed, but that’s usually a matter of days or weeks.
A sharp pin or needle would be what I would try 1st. I’m betting that relief of pressure will help.

Adding glue will be messy, but if your other option is to take it off and re do it. May be the best bet.

Other food for thought is fresh paint. I prefer to let the paint breath for about 30 days before I put anything on it or stick anything to it.

windforfun
My sail panels have bubbles too. They give the car a nice authentic stock look. 8^)
Mark Henry
QUOTE(second wind @ Apr 24 2019, 11:37 PM) *

Define bubbles? Sounds like rust to me......not to be negative.....
gg

Mine's not rust, you would be able to feel rust bubbles.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 25 2019, 06:21 AM) *

I’ve seen it bubble when the adhesive hasn’t completely flashed, but that’s usually a matter of days or weeks.

Other food for thought is fresh paint. I prefer to let the paint breath for about 30 days before I put anything on it or stick anything to it.

This I could believe, many clues that the PO was in a mad rush putting the car back together.
DRPHIL914
I have had issues with this as well, and will be removing and re-installing mine again soon, probably this weekend before the local car show next weekend.
Last year when doing this the first time we used the spray on one , didn’t work out well so I removed it cleaned it up and redid it, the other side went much better with contact cement but still ended up with some spots releasing so
This time I plan on using the 3M 99, and will try to make sure it’s applied to a clean surface and is allowed to cure properly, i may have rushed it last time but I also didn’t use the 3M 99 , will let you know how this works out- good luck on yours and have some help I found it impossible to do myself
76-914
I've read where others had luck with 3M 99 but I got bubbles later. I too had just painted the car! I did the V8 car differently. I used a small trim foam paint roller to apply contact cement to both sides before laying up the vinyl. So far so good. beerchug.gif
mepstein
Remember - contact cement has to dry completely before assembly. It usually says 20 minutes but I apply and try to walk away for an hour. Works great that way. I do two light coats on each side but sometimes add a third light coat to vinyl since it soaks up the glue.
rgalla9146
Whatever you use read and follow the directions on the can.
Do it on a warm day.
malcolm2
This comment won’t help. But…

I have a driver. Not pretty in most places. But it is pretty on the sails. This is not a fix but if you rip the old off consider spray on truck bed liner.

Unless you walk up within 2 feet, you can’t tell. It even spit and spattered to leave extra texture.

Sorry for you trouble. Good Luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.