Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seal for shift fork
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tat2dphreak
is ther a good way to get the pins out of the shift fork to replace the seal? my side-shifter leaks there a bit... and I have the seal, but it looks like it will take a press to get them out, and they will be messed up afterwards... are new pins available?
Porsche Rescue
New pins are available. Be sure to get the one for the end you are removing. They are different. I removed the pin at the outer end using a vice, deep socket and a small bolt, slightly smaller in diameter than the pin. Use the vice to "press" the pin out and into the socket. Note orientation of the lever so you don't put it on 180 degrees out and get to do it again.
ClayPerrine
New pins are NOT available. Whatever you do, don't remove the pin on the inside of the trans. Remove the one on the outside.

I know this from experience. The pin can get damaged in removal, and you can end up in the hills around Austin stuck in third gear because the pin sheared. mad.gif If you disassemble the outside one, you can replace it without draining the trans. If you disassemble the inside one, you have to drain the transmission and replace the shift console with the transmission hot!!!

(BTW.. it is REALLY embarassing to have to get your 914 friends to push your car so you can get moving in 3rd gear.... BTDT!!!)

TravisNeff
Vice method works great as PorscheRescue said.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 24 2005, 12:41 PM)
New pins are NOT available. Whatever you do, don't remove the pin on the inside of the trans. Remove the one on the outside.

I know this from experience. The pin can get damaged in removal, and you can end up in the hills around Austin stuck in third gear because the pin sheared. mad.gif If you disassemble the outside one, you can replace it without draining the trans. If you disassemble the inside one, you have to drain the transmission and replace the shift console with the transmission hot!!!

(BTW.. it is REALLY embarassing to have to get your 914 friends to push your car so you can get moving in 3rd gear.... BTDT!!!)

I already pulled the shift fork out, I already drained the tranny to put in swepco too...

I have not taken either pin out... I did not disassemble it... I took out the 2 bolts that connect it to the tranny... unsure.gif

if new pins aren't available, what do you suggest to keep them usable?

while were' on the subject of pins... I'm missing a pin on the flywheel too... the ones for the pressure plate... are those available new?
TravisNeff
I pressed my pin out in a vice, perfectly reusable. I used a hefty nail cut in 1/2, vice and a socket to do it. I am sure there is an easier way - but it worked for me, oh I did the inner one - so far so good. But I'd take Clay's advice and do the outer
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 24 2005, 01:16 PM)
I pressed my pin out in a vice, perfectly reusable. I used a hefty nail cut in 1/2, vice and a socket to do it. I am sure there is an easier way - but it worked for me, oh I did the inner one - so far so good. But I'd take Clay's advice and do the outer

cool, I'll see what I can do. thansk!
Porsche Rescue
I got the outer pin from my local Porsche dealer about three months ago. Didn't try the various other P parts sources. Pins are same diameter but one (inner I think) is shorter.
Trevorg7
For what is worth I'll chime in from a tailshifter prospective. The PO of my car put a bolt where the inner roll pin should be and of course it sheared one day. Rich at HPH has roll pins and while I didn't have to take it out I did get it in. After replacing it and fill with Swepco I now have a new leak. So if the process to remove the roll pin on a tailshifter is the same or if someone has tailshifter insights I'm interested.

Check with Rich at HPH for pins.

T
tat2dphreak
ok, I did this today at my dad's (piece was in my trunk, since I was going to go over to H&H...

I got the pin out with a punch and socket... smoothly and the pin was still perfect.

the old SEAL was a BITCH though! it must have been the original and was metal on the outside and had moled itself in! so it came out in 2 chunks, the new one went in fairly easily and everything is back together... thanks for the help though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.