Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VTEC Swap:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_7T3
Great article on a mid-engine VTEC Swap, but not in a 914!

https://jalopnik.com/a-vtec-swapped-fiat-x1...aign=2019-04-25

GregAmy
That's a good engine. My all-motor Super Touring Civic Si with a K20Z3 puts down ~235 to the wheels - and sounds glorious at 8600 RPM.
abes914
I would love to have a K series engine or a F series honda engine in my 914. Heck, even B18 will be good. Maybe someday...

There is a member here who had a F20 engine from S2000.
GregAmy
Would need to be a K (or an F)...the B series turns the other direction (I built and raced a GSR/Type R before the Civic...)

K-series is a stout engine. Better torque too. We initially got 220 wheel from it just by opening the intake and exhaust and ECU tuning...everything else was stock.
Chi-town
It's an easy swap in a transverse mounted situation.

I'm sure Kennedy would make you an adapter plate to bolt to a suby trans or something capable of handling it if you really wanted to put it in a 914
fasthonda
I did it and its awesome. I call it a poor mans NSX.
Mueller
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 25 2019, 03:33 PM) *

It's an easy swap in a transverse mounted situation.

I'm sure Kennedy would make you an adapter plate to bolt to a suby trans or something capable of handling it if you really wanted to put it in a 914

KEP made my adapter parts for my J35A V6...with VTECH yo!
BIGKAT_83
Subarugears make a adapter for a Honda K engine to a Subaru transaxle .
buck toenges
They made 180k x-19? That is almost twice the number of 914. Really?

Buck
lierofox
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 25 2019, 01:07 PM) *

Would need to be a K (or an F)...the B series turns the other direction (I built and raced a GSR/Type R before the Civic...)

Yeah quite a few Honda engines before the K engines were like that, the B series, D series, H series and F series (except the S2000 F20C/F22C) engines are all counter-clockwise rotating.
jb6000
I wish all these swaps were fully documented like assembly blueprints, exploded views, prints with the fab'd parts with dimensions, parts lists of fab parts, parts lists of purchased parts ...

OK we will get there someday ...
rhodyguy
An engine out of an Evo would be a performer if you could shoehorn one in. I've been eyeing Evos.
Andyrew
QUOTE(jb6000 @ Apr 26 2019, 08:57 AM) *

I wish all these swaps were fully documented like assembly blueprints, exploded views, prints with the fab'd parts with dimensions, parts lists of fab parts, parts lists of purchased parts ...

Have you read some of the build threads on here? Really easy to go through and duplicate a lot of the work shown here...
Rand
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 26 2019, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jb6000 @ Apr 26 2019, 08:57 AM) *

Have you read some of the build threads on here? Really easy to go through and duplicate a lot of the work shown here...

And please let's have a reality check. Let's look at the results. This whole thread is about honda boys. Which are very far from performance numbers around here. Yes, I love Hondas. I have been a honda fan since the elsinore days of mortorcycles.

let's get real. I respect the idea. but Audi is a better idea. There are just so many powerplants that make more sense in a 914.

Sure it can be done.

Why not a 1000hp ecotech???

jb6000
Yes I have read several build thread and they really help. I just would like to see this Honda swap. I am not even sure if it is transverse or longitudinal.

I like some of the math that goes with a 1.8t swap.

cost - don't need trans adaptor
HP/TQ. - good
weight - good
Rand
If your biggest concern is the cost of a trans adapter, you aren't ready to play. No offense, but what is your budget?
rhodyguy
Didn't Felix put a Nissan V6 in his car? I don't know if he still hangs around.
Rand
That's why he doesn't hang around anymore. Successes don't disappear. [poking at a treasured old timer]
So many bad ideas, so little successes. Which is why we learn and do what works.
Every success gets a huge feed we can learn from. Every failure dies and withers away.
Andyrew
Felix aka the Neo 914? No it has an Audi 2.7TT v6.

You want to talk about a GREAT honda motor for the 914?

The Honda J35 v6.
210-290HP, Light, Lasts forever, been around forever, cheap and plentiful, and a sporty powerband with Vtech!

Just about any of the closed deck inline 4 cylinder motors can make well over 700hp with a fully built motor and enough boost... Just pick a manufacturer your familiar with and your comfortable with their motors.... Be it honda, toyota, mitsubishi, ford, chevy, or vw...
rhodyguy
Damn Rand.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 26 2019, 02:59 PM) *

Didn't Felix put a Nissan V6 in his car? I don't know if he still hangs around.

I have a Nissan VQ30de v6. Malmz had an older Nissan VG30i v6 w/carb. Felix did an Audi 2.7TT with most of the dash, it got more involved than he was planning.
Malmz sold his. Mine ran until I parked it headbang.gif . Felix needs to come hang out with us again....
Rand
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 26 2019, 02:22 PM) *

Felix aka the Neo 914? No it has an Audi 2.7TT v6.

You want to talk about a GREAT honda motor for the 914?

The Honda J35 v6.
210-290HP, Light, Lasts forever, been around forever, cheap and plentiful, and a sporty powerband with Vtech!

Just about any of the closed deck inline 4 cylinder motors can make well over 700hp with a fully built motor and enough boost... Just pick a manufacturer your familiar with and your comfortable with their motors.... Be it honda, toyota, mitsubishi, ford, chevy, or vw...

And not in your car for so many reasons.
jb6000
You blow up that J35 V6 and you are looking at $300 to get another one.
jb6000
If I could get a good running 911 SC motor for $300 my car would be a lot more original looking.
GregAmy
QUOTE(lierofox @ Apr 25 2019, 09:59 PM) *

Yeah quite a few Honda engines before the K engines were like that, the B series, D series, H series and F series (except the S2000 F20C/F22C) engines are all counter-clockwise rotating.

I just had a "duh" moment...couldn't you just use a 911 transaxle and spin it around 180 degrees...? A B18C1 or C5 at 8,500 RPM would sound nice...
Mueller
Anyone think about the 1.5 turbo motors used in the '17 and newer Civics?

Stock Si is 200hp and from everything I've read it is fairly inexpensive and easy to get quite a bit more out of them.

That would be an even lighter setup I would think than my J35 V6.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 20 2019, 02:04 PM) *

Anyone think about the 1.5 turbo motors used in the '17 and newer Civics?

Stock Si is 200hp and from everything I've read it is fairly inexpensive and easy to get quite a bit more out of them.

That would be an even lighter setup I would think than my J35 V6.

Turbo, intercoolers, plumbing, ect ect adds a lot more weight and complexity than you think.....

Just saying smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 20 2019, 12:49 PM) *

I just had a "duh" moment...couldn't you just use a 911 transaxle and spin it around 180 degrees...? A B18C1 or C5 at 8,500 RPM would sound nice...

Should work... But you could just as easily run a honda trans and save weight/space and put the radiator in front of the motor..
GregAmy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 20 2019, 05:34 PM) *

Should work... But you could just as easily run a honda trans and save weight/space and put the radiator in front of the motor..

The part I don't like about the transverse idea is that it's going to place a lot of the weight behind the rear axles. Both the K and the B race cars I had placed the vast majority of the drivetrain behind the axle centerline...which on a 914 would be behind the rear axle (take a peek inside a Civic or Integra hood).

I'd rather see the engine mounted longitudinally in front of the rear axle.

The torque on my current K20Z3 is much nicer than the horsepower of the Integra Type R I raced. And it turns the "right" direction...225 wheel ponies and very-usable torque with stock long block and outside bolt-ons.

Click to view attachment
betz

Or you can do what I'm doing. A 4AGE already spins the right way- with it's stock ITB's fitted with some velocity stacks at 8300 RPM would sound real REAL nice wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.