Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flapper retainer spring/tab
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I was proud of myself for finding #13 in the diagram below in my miscellaneous parts hoard, but now I see there is supposed to be two of them so I need to find another. Anyone reproduce these or know where to buy one? If not, I may try to scrounge up a piece of spring steel and cut one myself.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Diagram only shows one but two is better. I picked up a second one on WTB in classified. Probably real easy to duplicate with any thin metal.
bbrock
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 26 2019, 09:37 AM) *

Diagram only shows one but two is better. I picked up a second one on WTB in classified. Probably real easy to duplicate with any thin metal.

Yep, diagram shows one and IIRC all the engines I've owned just had one over the flapper spring, but the PET lists a quantity of 2 required in the catalog. The original is .025 spring steel and a hacksaw blade would be a perfect match for thickness and temper but is just a few mm too narrow. Same goes for a utility knife blade but even closer to being wide enough. I'll keep scavenging and post a WTB if I don't come up with anything. It will be easy to make if I can find the right stock.
bdstone914
Just make them. Nothing more than a small metal tab with a hole. I used some metal banding material that was wider and thicker.
bbrock
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 28 2019, 09:39 AM) *

Just make them. Nothing more than a small metal tab with a hole. I used some metal banding material that was wider and thicker.

Perfect! Thanks!
bbrock

@bdstone914 the banding worked like a champ. Thank you! FYI for anyone who needs to do this. Metal banding has gotten kind of hard to find. After striking out at all the big lumber and home improvement stores, I found some at the local farm and ranch supply used to bundle fencing materials.

Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2019, 11:33 AM) *

@bdstone914 the banding worked like a champ. Thank you! FYI for anyone who needs to do this. Metal banding has gotten kind of hard to find. After striking out at all the big lumber and home improvement stores, I found some at the local farm and ranch supply used to bundle fencing materials.

Click to view attachment

As a material repurposer I save scrap like that for making who knows what you may need. beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
@bbrock

I can't believe you took the easy route and painted it. Would have expected plating.

The whole coefficient of friction is jacked up now. happy11.gif lol-2.gif

I'm going to need to do the same someday - some joker completely yanked my flaps!

bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 02:23 PM) *

@bbrock

I can't believe you took the easy route and painted it. Would have expected plating.

I'm going to need to do the same someday - some joker completely yanked my flaps!

I've been known to plate parts before painting so how do you know I didn't plate these? Okay, I didn't. Just trying to match what the Germans did so painting is correct and plating would have jacked up the coefficient of friction poke.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2019, 04:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 02:23 PM) *

@bbrock

I've been known to plate parts before painting so how do you know I didn't plate these? Okay, I didn't. Just trying to match what the Germans did so painting is correct and plating would have jacked up the coefficient of friction poke.gif

Tricky -- I love it. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.