Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VIN Ending in a Letter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I've come across a VIN that appears to end in the letter "U". In other words, instead of having 10 numbers, it has 9 followed by the U. Is this possible, or do I need to get better "readers"?
Gustl
I'm pretty sure it should be a "0" instead of the "U"
there were no letters in factory original VINs
Craigers17
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 26 2019, 04:59 AM) *

I'm pretty sure it should be a "0" instead of the "U"
there were no letters in factory original VINs

Click to view attachment
73-914
I think somebody had too much Christmas cheer when they made label
914Sixer
Never say never with these old cars. You never know what happened that day on the production line.
GregAmy
Notice the "U" is underlined...is that the case for all last digits on numerical VINs? I'm not near my cars to look.
sb914
What’s the title - registration say ?
Chi-town
NHTSA would not accept a U in the VIN, the machine screwed up it's supposed to be a 0
Craigers17
QUOTE(sb914 @ Apr 26 2019, 06:54 AM) *

What’s the title - registration say ?

Dunno yet. That's all I have at this point.
bretth
What does the two VINs in the front trunk say? One over the passenger wheel well and the one on the metal data plate in there. That's funny maybe this is that one of one 1975 914-6? Or you can say you have the rare 914-U jester.gif
rgalla9146
If it's a 1967 911S the VIN ends in a S
FlacaProductions
My VIN sticker on the jam has two numbers transposed relative to the other VINs on the car and I've heard of one other 914 like this as well. Last one punched before lunch?
burton73
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 26 2019, 08:16 AM) *

My VIN sticker on the jam has two numbers transposed relative to the other VINs on the car and I've heard of one other 914 like this as well. Last one punched before lunch?

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Apr 26 2019, 08:16 AM) *
Last one punched before lunch?

Actually, i bet it was the first punch *after* lunch ...
drunk.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 26 2019, 05:52 AM) *

Notice the "U" is underlined...is that the case for all last digits on numerical VINs? I'm not near my cars to look.

It's not a U and it's not underlined.

It's a 0 that has been shifted up one position, hence missing the top row with the two dots and the bottom row has been filled with all dots.

Clearly an error in the punching machine setup ...
type.gif
Craigers17
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 26 2019, 07:04 AM) *

What does the two VINs in the front trunk say? One over the passenger wheel well and the one on the metal data plate in there. That's funny maybe this is that one of one 1975 914-6? Or you can say you have the rare 914-U jester.gif

Good suggestion....it's not my car, but I texted the owner, and it is supposed to be a zero.....
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 26 2019, 09:00 AM) *

NHTSA would not accept a U in the VIN, the machine screwed up it's supposed to be a 0

Just a historical note:

NHTSA sheeplove.gif didn't even exist when the 1st 914's rolled off the line so 914's don't conform to NHTSA 17 digit VIN format.

73-914
QUOTE(73-914 @ Apr 26 2019, 08:32 AM) *

I think somebody had too much Christmas cheer when they made label

Looks like a wine glass
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.