Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 or 944 turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wino1
Hello, new guy here,
I just purchased a 1976 914 and a 86 944 turbo form a friend of mines estate both in similar condition. I really dont have room for both and my collection is gm muscle but I will keep one of these. So my question is which is the better hold. ThanksClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=695
148]Click to view attachment
twistedstang
Hard to say right now. If you're a GM guy, they both have nice LS conversions out there. I'd love to have an LS swapped 944.
Coondog
Loved my 87 Turbo but hated replacing 2 oil cooled turbos in 5 years. Probably my bad driving habits more then the cars fault.... driving.gif

While 944s are going up in price you will have more fun in a 914....... first.gif
michael7810
I have both. When I bought the 944T I told the wife I would drive them both for a while and then decide which one to sell...that was 5 years ago. The 944 is fun, fast, more comfy and has good AC but I enjoy the 914 more on twistie roads.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
depends on the originality of the car. Keep the one that is most original and the lowest miles

QUOTE(wino1 @ Apr 26 2019, 04:48 AM) *

Hello, new guy here,
I just purchased a 1976 914 and a 86 944 turbo form a friend of mines estate both in similar condition. I really dont have room for both and my collection is gm muscle but I will keep one of these. So my question is which is the better hold. Thanks

Andyrew
914 is in a sell position, its not likely to go up a TON in the next few years. The 944 turbo is in a hold position, it will likely hit its collective stride in the next few years as it has been going up at a steady rate for the past 3 years.

On a side note the 944 turbo is an amazing drivers car out of the box. the 914 is an amazing classic car with some great features that not many cars of its time have.

Have you driven both? I would drive both and see which one you connect most with.

I have both and every time I get in the 944 I am so surprised at how nice it is for a 32 year old car thats been beated up at the track for the last 15 years and how amazing the driving mannerisms are.
FlacaProductions
I've had both and love 'em both. The 914 is a more analog/basic car that's easier to work on. The 944's are pretty amazing performance vehicles and can be made fast and reliable - but they are very different cars. My 89 with a test pipe and chips made 300hp at the wheels and was a blast on cross-country drives. The 914 is a go-kart with a lot of unique personality. Both have very active online communities. The advice above to drive em both and see which one you like is pretty sound.
PanelBilly
Sell them both
burton73
Hello new guy here!

Well I can say that you will find that the brotherhood of 914 guys is better that the brotherhood of 944 guys. Lots of solid info here and the people are the nicest.

As far as the car goes it really matters what kind of shape the cars are in as George said.

If the cars are drivable, what car do you like. Grab a few pictures of them and if we see what they look like it would be better. You may find a buyer for the 76 914 right here if you do not want to keep that car. 76 is Last year made in small numbers and may be keeper.

A lot of people here do not like the 76 because of the smog and the big bumpers but some people in the know like George Dr. 914 love that year. I liked mine a lot.

Welcome,

Bob B
welcome.png
wino1
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 26 2019, 09:54 AM) *

Hello new guy here!

Well I can say that you will find that the brotherhood of 914 guys is better that the brotherhood of 944 guys. Lots of solid info here and the people are the nicest.

As far as the car goes it really matters what kind of shape the cars are in as George said.

If the cars are drivable, what car do you like. Grab a few pictures of them and if we see what they look like it would be better. You may find a buyer for the 76 914 right here if you do not want to keep that car. 76 is Last year made in small numbers and may be keeper.

A lot of people here do not like the 76 because of the smog and the big bumpers but some people in the know like George Dr. 914 love that year. I liked mine a lot.

Welcome,

Bob B
welcome.png

I added a few pics, not great quality.
burton73
Looks good in pictures but it would take a lot more pictures to be sure.
Your 76 has AC. For some people that is a big plus. Some not but I would want a AC car if I could find one. Paint may be original. Huge plus if it is. I sold my 76-original paint all original car to Dax in Belgium 16 months ago.

The buyer wanted just what I had. It had a few small problems but a solid no rust car.

The 914 is really a fun car. Take the top off and hit the turns. Not much fun in the city traffic but in the mountains a total winner. Use the GM cars for rubber light to light fun. Nice to have a mix in your stable. I have been having fun in 914s from 1978 on.

Bob B

phillstek
I owned an ‘89 951 (944T) and it was probably the best car I’ve ever had. Drove the snot out of it and sold it with over 200,000 kms on it. The guy that bought it from me has done an additional 100,000 and it still goes hard. Down side is maitainence, they ain’t cheap to keep them running properly. Low mile examples will appreciate and here in Australia these are $70k- $90k cars.

While I owned it the 914 sat in the garage. Time came where I needed to sell one and I decided to sell the Turbo. The 914 is way more engaging to drive, easier to maintain and you can do it all yourself.

If you want an appreciating, investment that’s going to make the dollars keep the Turbo.
If you want a fun, simple and quirky car that engages all the senses keep the 914

I kept the 914 and don’t regret it for a minute.
jmitro
QUOTE(burton73 @ Apr 26 2019, 10:54 AM) *

no it's not. dry.gif people are people; in both groups there are some a**holes but most are great people with great advice.

I loved all three of my 944s and in fact have a 924 waiting to be rescued. I agree with the comments to keep what you love. I personally would keep the 944T
porschetub
2 cars 10 miles apart from each other really,if you aren't into the 914 sell it,looks a tidy car and will help get the 944 turbo up to scratch which can be very expensive,these cars share all of the issues the 944 has and more due to the turbo system.
Having said that they are a very nice drive but the Series II version is the one to have for a good investment in a rising price market for this model.
Unobtanium-inc
The longterm move is the 944 Turbo, they are much rarer than the standard 914 so in years it will probably eclipse the 914.
No bad choice here.
dan10101
Having been a 944T owner for 15+ years, I think they are a great compromise between a modern car and a classic sports car. AC, PB, PS, Power Seats, Cruse control, all the amenities of the modern cars, with the power and handling of a real sports car.

I don't recommend extreme engine mods as it will cause cylinder scoring. Other than that, either car in stock form are great cars, and will appreciate nicely in value.

All that said, I go to the opposite extreme, cuz that's just me...

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
welcome.png I maybe biased since I own a 914, but for me it is the 914 all the way. I have never been crazy about the 924/944 body. Even when they were new I was not a fan. No offense, but I really like the 914 body, mid-engine, etc. The downside of the '76, is it is a '76 so depending upon your state, may be smog controlled. beerchug.gif
BuddyV
I have both..... kind of.

I have a 914, and a 924SE with a 968 motor.

I can drive the 924 in more conditions, but the 914 PEOPLE are much better. The 924/944 community is almost non-existent. (almost)

so..... both are fun. In different ways. But ask yourself how often you drive the car, and how often you would drive it more if the car had more comforts.

Good luck..... nice problem to have.

beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Hold on both.
RolinkHaus
For the love of God people, stop swapping GM engines into Porsche's. popcorn[1].gif

Keep the 944, tune it and track it. driving.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.