Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74 2.0 to 2.7 swap. It's painted and engine in.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
A friend is having me do a -6 conversion and repaint. I will document the swap here.. He has a very nice 2.0 along with very nice ssi heat exchangers he will sell to help fund the project. The car just showed up. Engine drop this week. He already ordered the naro engine mount and a flywheel. I will build him an oil tank and likely send the wiring harness out to Perry if he has time @ironhillsrestorations.. It's a really rust free car so that helps.
mb911
Click to view attachment
jagalyn
Nice looking car... let me know what he wants for the engine and condition/history/mileage.
mb911
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Apr 26 2019, 02:55 PM) *

Nice looking car... let me know what he wants for the engine and condition/history/mileage.

He took a video of the engine running today.. I think he will post later on Facebook. The Engine has brand new Weber 44s on it that he paid 700 for.. I think he is gonna be looking for 3k for the engine,carbs, flywheel , clutch. He is gonna ask 1k for the ssi's all I am sure OBO. I will look at mileage but this is the quietest type 4 I have ever heard. Ran really well when he pulled it in to the shop.
IronHillRestorations
I'm down for the engine harness biggrin.gif
Dion
That’s a nice looking car. I’ll be tuning in. Good luck Ben.
mb911
Here is the engine prior to my removal.. Hopefully today it will come out. Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Subscribed
Coondog
Bet he gets a awesome set of headers...,.. first.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Apr 27 2019, 05:35 AM) *

Bet he gets a awesome set of headers...,.. first.gif

Unfortunately nope he bought some factory used ones. He's using my oil tank , sheet metal, and oil lines.
mb911
Engine out took me longer then I remembered at 1.5 hours. Now it's time for all 4cyl parts to leave. I need the room. Click to view attachment
914forme
Love the color really nice looking 914
EdwardBlume
Cool! beerchug.gif
mb911
James posted the engine and heat exchangers for sale in the classifieds.
jwinner
Heat Exchangers have been SOLD!
halmil
Why would you use a nice 74 2.0 as donor for a six conversion rather than a 1.7 or 1.8?
mb911
Becuase that's what the owner wants and the owners of the car get decide that's what makes the hobby fun.

On another note welded the tank today. Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 30 2019, 03:16 PM) *

Why would you use a nice 74 2.0 as donor for a six conversion rather than a 1.7 or 1.8?

Using a low rust/rust free tub will put the project months or years and thousands of dollars ahead compared to the normal rustoration.
bbrock
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 30 2019, 01:16 PM) *

To make my car just a little more valuable. beer.gif
mb911
@bbrock

Wait until you see the really cool 2.0 muffler that I am going to make.. That will make your car even more valuable
jwinner
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 30 2019, 02:16 PM) *

It is a family car that belonged to my Dad. I have had 914s before but always wanted a 6. It was a tough decision between doing a "big 4" or a 6.
mepstein
When you hear the sound the 6 makes, you wont have any second thoughts.

welcome.png
bbrock
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2019, 03:45 PM) *

@bbrock

Wait until you see the really cool 2.0 muffler that I am going to make.. That will make your car even more valuable

Giddy-up! thumb3d.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 30 2019, 05:45 PM) *

@bbrock

Can't wait to see that 2.0L muffler now that you gave a good quality original to fixture off of. piratenanner.gif
mb911
Spent some time drilling holes for the tank and then making the decision to replace the engine shelf. Also the battery tray is out along with engine mount in. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
mb911
Engine is here , new clutch, trans rebuilt @914ltd and throttle linkage @a914guy

Sheet metal off for powderpaint tomorrowClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
mb911
Some update pictures. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Nice work Ben.

Is that plastic translucent.
mb911
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 16 2019, 05:11 AM) *

Nice work Ben.

Is that plastic translucent.

Yes it is.. Called "Amber" cooling shroud..
mb911
Underside of the trunk painted.. I just cleaned up what was there previously /scuffed and painted.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Engine in.. Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Blocked then sprayed 3 coats of primer surfacer.. Then sit and do any shrinking.. Will block this week and then a once over next week before paint. Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif drooley.gif
Tdskip
Excited to see this come together.
mb911
Painted base last night and clear this morning.. Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Tdskip
That is going to look fantastic Ben, nice work.
jkb944t
Wow, great progress!!! piratenanner.gif

Jeff B
tygaboy
PAINT! aktion035.gif drooley.gif

(I'm so envious...)
mb911
Need to finish his project so I can finish mine, and we are planning on moving soon so allot going on..
914forme
Way to go Ben, best of luck with the move
mb911
Car is running.. Yeah.. Just have to finish some odds and ends and this will be a wrap.
Tdskip
Fantastic
mepstein
4 months for a respray and six conversion. Early fall driving. beerchug.gif
jmitro
looks great, nice job!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.