Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a good reason to change my shift rod?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I was getting ready to pull out the rod that runs from the firewall to the tranny to have it modified to be straight and then started to wonder if there was any real advantage to this. Sure the /4 has bends to fit around the heat exchangers that aren’t necessary with Ben’s /6 units, but does that hurt anything?
Larmo63
I bit the bullet and bought the Patrick Motorsports part.

I couldn't be happier. It's worth the money IMHO.

https://patrickmotorsports.com/products/tra...-424-022-00-pms
IronHillRestorations
A stock 914 side shift rod will not fit with any Porsche 6.
mepstein
I didn't think a stock sideshifter rod would fit a 6 conversion but if yours works, I don't know of a good reason to "fix" it. I would like to see pics of what you are running.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 27 2019, 11:19 PM) *

That uses a steering coupler like my Jwest rod. Very precise. I think Tangerine makes a similar setup.
Dave_Darling
I believe the bent rod will hit the exhaust in some parts of its range of movement.

--DD
targa72e
Stock rod would not work on my 6 conversion with headers.

john
mb911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Apr 27 2019, 07:15 PM) *

I was getting ready to pull out the rod that runs from the firewall to the tranny to have it modified to be straight and then started to wonder if there was any real advantage to this. Sure the /4 has bends to fit around the heat exchangers that aren’t necessary with Ben’s /6 units, but does that hurt anything?

If it works as is right now run it.. That is promising news that it fits that way.
mepstein
Mine would not have fit a stock rod (I checked).
The PMS rod is just a straight tube, one steering joint, one splined shaft and one smooth one. About $75 in materials. Easy to make if you are handy.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2019, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 27 2019, 11:19 PM) *

That uses a steering coupler like my Jwest rod. Very precise. I think Tangerine makes a similar setup.

I made my tangerine/jwest like copy (console) on my /6, the rod is just a straight tube, I also used the steering coupler. I have a rennshifter.
My wife's car came with a tangerine /4 shift rod, console and has a stock shifter.
Mark Henry
The Patrick shifter kit link, it's just a stock single bushing rod.
Not hard to make, heat, straighten the tube, IIRC you have to cut it off, shorten and mig it back together.

The Tangerine Jwest type has bolt in, two bushing, modified console and uses some type of U joint on the rod at the console. You also have to cut a hole in the console cover.
PanelBilly
I had the holes for the pins that hold it in place redrilled. That’s why it works.
Larmo63
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2019, 05:20 AM) *

The PMS rod is just a straight tube, one steering joint, one splined shaft and one smooth one. About $75 in materials. Easy to make if you are handy.

Keep in mind it also comes with the bronze bushing, cup, and very nice cup holder.

All of these parts are nicely made. I just didn't want to screw around with janky homemade parts.
Chris914n6
Making mine from scratch was easier than trying to bend straight & fit.
mepstein
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Apr 28 2019, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2019, 05:20 AM) *

Keep in mind it also comes with the bronze bushing, cup, and very nice cup holder.

All of these parts are nicely made. I just didn't want to screw around with janky homemade parts.

Hey Lawrence. I get it. Buying a turnkey part is much more my style than fabricating something. I am always in awe of what the members here can do but I am lacking in that department. I can clean the lint out of the dryer but too much more and I'm done. I'm not saying you are the same. Some people would rather drive than tinker. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
I made a jig, and have made several conversion shift rods. When 3 or 4 others started making them, I just kinda dropped it.

It's not a straight bar though, there's an offset down and to the side (about 7 o'clock if you look from the back of the car to the firewall). I cut and piece together an early tailshift bar which has the right bend using the front and rear ends off a sideshift bar
mb911
Well I know have to make 2 so gotta figure this out next.
Dave_Darling
Generally, you jig it up by putting a complete side-shift rod onto a board and setting up holders for the universal joint and for the solid piece at the tail end. Then you cut out the middle section and weld in tubing where it used to be.

Never done it myself, but that was how it was described to me.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.