Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buy : 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Vista2012
Does this exist? In the past 3mo I have seen a dozen cars with gauges that have been switched out or the odometer turned-over. The cars say 100+k with a lot of work but the sellers try to say otherwise. If anyone has leads on a 914 2.0 (any year) with documented <70k miles, I would def listen. Condition doesn’t need to be excellent but would willing to pay if was. Thanks!
Mikey914
QUOTE(Vista2012 @ Apr 27 2019, 09:11 PM) *

Does this exist? In the past 3mo I have seen a dozen cars with gauges that have been switched out or the odometer turned-over. The cars say 100+k with a lot of work but the sellers try to say otherwise. If anyone has leads on a 914 2.0 (any year) with documented <70k miles, I would def listen. Condition doesn’t need to be excellent but would willing to pay if was. Thanks!

Yes they do. They are not inexpensive. But you can find them. The key is documentation. I have a 72 1.7 with no rust and documents putting the mileage at 115k. How low are you looking for?

Many previous owners put their own “improvements” on these cars too. Many are easily reversed.

Even the 75 1.8 that was a 6k car had some non factory items.
Chris914n6
One of the big problems is a plastic gear inside the odo comes loose and mileage stops increasing, so it has to be opened up, so while your there.....

A 40 year old car under 70k, and a 2L, that's going to be a rare bird.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Vista2012 @ Apr 27 2019, 09:11 PM) *

Don't believe any mile claims unless fully documented from day 1, because that era cars only had 5 place odometers & no way of tracking the 100K, 200K, etc.

A 43-50 year old sub-70K mile 914 or any other will be a very expensive hard to find thing, & most of those should be pretty pristine & sold for very high prices at the auctions. Recent 1.8 & 2.0 examples of very low miles were in the $70-80K+ range.

You might want to readjust your search to also include well done restorations with full mechanical & driveline rebuilds with higher overall miles, but <70k on the resto/rebuild.

At this point on a 43-50 year old car, & if you're wanting a driveable 914 - rather than a garage queen show only car - then how the car has been maintained, restored, rebuilt, renovated/refurbished, etc. over that time - rather than purely on total miles (as you would for a late model used car where sub-70K is important to avoid bigger maintenance items).

You might also want to come to one or more of the PCA Concours in Lakewood GPX on 5/5, Dana Point OCR in June, &/or your San Diego one in Sept (?) to see 914s & talk with other 914ers & what might be available FS.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
I have a 38K mile car. The miles are documented but the entire engine shelf, hell hole and rear pan is rotted out. Condition matters, not mileage. Often times that means looking to the southwest for a good car or buying from someone who previously purchased from that area or buying a documented restoration. My first 914 purchased in the mid 80's was already a rusty car with the passenger side console failing. It probably only had 50-60K. I'll take a low rust 300K car over the typical east coast rust bucket any day.
jdamiano
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 28 2019, 12:31 PM) *

I have a 38K mile car. The miles are documented but the entire engine shelf, hell hole and rear pan is rotted out. Condition matters, not mileage. Often times that means looking to the southwest for a good car or buying from someone who previously purchased from that area or buying a documented restoration. My first 914 purchased in the mid 80's was already a rusty car with the passenger side console failing. It probably only had 50-60K. I'll take a low rust 300K car over the typical east coast rust bucket any day.

So agree!! Rust is the biggest consideration when deciding on a 914. I find everything else to be an enjoyable part of the ownership experience. Rust is just no fun. A low mileage car that had spent time on salted roads and in the elements may be ready to be parted out and scrapped. A high mileage southern car that has been garage kept may be a prize.
Chi-town
Sorry I'm buying them all laugh.gif

And now I'm bringing them in from other states chowtime.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.