Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Rack Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mathman
Hi, all.

I'm trying to replace my steering coupler at the base of the steering rack. I want to remove the steering rack to do this. I have the u-joint bolt removed under the dashboard. I have the suspension cross-member completely removed. I am also replacing the control arm bushings, so the control arms are completely removed. Do I HAVE to remove the fuel tank to get at those two bolts? Or am I supposed to just be able to pull the rack from underneath? If so, I can push/pull an inch or two, but I cannot fully remove it... What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
SirAndy
Unfortunately, you need to pull the tank and remove the clamp that holds the coupler.

Fun fact, if you are just doing this to replace the coupler, you could have done so without removing any of the lower rack parts.
shades.gif
Superhawk996
You need to pull fuel tank. There are two fasteners below the tank that support a bearing. That bearing is pricey so take care with it.

Not very had to do. Siphon or drain the tank 1st. I've done this in the past trying to work around a partial pull of the tank and the tank about 1/8 full. Just made a complete mess.

Easier to drain the tank completely, pull it, do what you need to do then reinstall.
rhodyguy
An old facet pump, some fuel line and a power source makes emptying the tank easy. There's a small amount left behind but you won't take a shower in fuel when you remove the supply and return line(if you have one). Keep an eye on the container you pump in to.
Superhawk996
Here is the view of the two fasteners you're after.

Little U shaped clevis in center of the picture.

Click to view attachment
Mathman
Okay, thanks all. I was afraid of that. Not a huge deal, I was just hoping to get away without it!
rgalla9146
Remove the vapor tank from the fuel tank.
Clamp two vice grips onto the top seam of the tank to lift it out.
iankarr
Also...If you haven’t already checked them out, the link in my signature will take you to videos of both steering rack and control arm bushing replacement which you may find helpful. Enjoy and be safe!
Chi-town
That's a bearing in that bushing not a clamp, the steering shaft will slide right out of it without removing the bolts if you have the u-joint removed and the cross member removed. If it doesn't you'll have to pull the tank and inspect the bearing and steering shaft.
Mathman
Okay, folks. I did get it out. Apparently, I need to replace that bearing too.
Mikey914
Good news is we make the bearing assembly ($44), and if you buy it the rubber is only $8

https://shop.914rubber.com/Steering-bearing...m?categoryId=-1
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.