Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission gear stack alignment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi folks!

I’m in the process of reassembling the gear-stack and looking for second opinions
about the gear offset.

I have double and triple checked the parts and assembly order and apparently everything looks ok.

Dr Evil’s DVD points out that the gears don’t align perfectly, but due to lacking of
before-and-after comparison, I can’t really confirm what was “original”.

Hence, what’s the forum’s verdict?

Thanks guys!!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

draganc
Click to view attachment

draganc
PS: everything moves smoothly w/o any noises.
Luke M
I believe you are all good. When I did my rebuild I took several pics before I took it apart and when done. It looks just like yours. Some mesh well while a few are offset. You can see some wear marks in my gear pics.
If you want to be certain then pm Dr.Evil.
draganc
Luke,

Thanks a bunch for sharing your pics!
Fully agree, they are almost a perfect
match.
Dr Evil
Third is in the right orientation, spacers in the right place, and appears to be correct thrust washer on top of 5th. That’s just how they line up.
draganc
Thanks for the follow up Doc!

Not claiming that I have discovered the holy grail of 901 transmission, but staring at my and Luke’s gear stack for the past evenings, the offset makes perfect sense – at least I think.

If the gears would align 1:1, there would be very to even no play between the gear and the dog-teeth, to compensate for any thermal or mechanical “play/expansion”.

I guess the efficient-high-volume-manufacturing focused Herr Klaus-Dieter Dipl. Ing. figured out it's cheaper or easier to just offset the gears vs. having specific thinner gears for the dog-teeth facing gear part.

Just a wild guess. Anyways, I hope the pictures will help out the next 901 warrior……

beer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.