Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake bleeding made simple...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
Here it is, the moment you've been waiting for.
You'll spend more time taking the wheels off and on, if you do this!

Install Speedbleeders.
Put 10' long clear vinyl tube over the bottom bleeder on the right rear.
Drape hose into brake reservoir after flushing system and secure with a zip tie.

Crack Speedbleeder 1/4 turn and pump until you see the bubles stop going by.

Tighten speed bleeder and move to upper bleeder.

Fold hose over on itself and secure with a clamp between calipers to keep the prime in the hose and avoid making a mess.

Repeat for left rear, right front and left front.

This is *TOO* easy.

KT
Aaron Cox
ummm... why are you using the BOTTOM bleeder...

air rises you know smile.gif
Part Pricer
agree.gif Air is lighter than brake fluid.
Trekkor
After the fluid starts going into the reservoir, stop and top it off with about 4 onces of brake fluid.

This will be the last time you will even have to check the level again during this process.

Every pump puts *exactly* the same amount back in the resi. wink.gif

KT
Trekkor
The long hose will reach all valves and pass by the drivers's door so you can watch the bubbles stop.

Bleed off *all* the valves or you *will* have *some* air left in there.
Why not spend the extra five minutes and save yourself the headache of having to do this all over again beacuse your pedal is still mushy. ohmy.gif

KT
Trekkor
Clamp it!

When you are all done, just throw away the hose if you're worried about making a mess or damaging your paint the next time around. The hose is about $1.50. wink.gif

KT
Dr Evil
I wondered if that would work, but was always in too much of a hurry to try it. Thanks, KT smilie_pokal.gif I need to do my whole system this weekend.
Part Pricer

This thread should be in the Classic section. smile.gif

nocones
This is how I bleed my motorcycle brakes when I'm too lazy to pull them of and bench-bleed. Nice firm lever every time.
Thanks Trekkor
McMark
BLEED ALL NIPPLES. As Trekkor said, skipping some saves you 5 minutes and could leave you with mushy brakes. I used to skip them and it never worked. Now I'll never skip one again.
Trekkor
All done. Easy. Perfect. The first time.

If you bleed the bottom's first, " I believe ", it will get a lot of the air out. When you go to the top, the fluid has already swirled a bit inside the caliper putting the air bubble in place to escape when you pull the trigger.

Hope you liked the show. cool.gif

KT
TravisNeff
Nice writeup and process there Trekkor. Next time I dive into brakes I am gonna do the same thing.
TimT
Trekkors method is a good one, as a nother example on calipers that have 3 bleed nipples, you bleed, bottom inside, top inside, top outside.

Joe Bob
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 24 2005, 01:57 PM)
BLEED ALL NIPPLES.  As Trekkor said, skipping some saves you 5 minutes and could leave you with mushy brakes.  I used to skip them and it never worked.  Now I'll never skip one again.

I love to skip in the rain, tweek nipples and splash in puddles....
qa1142
You really don't want to do it this way
1) moisture - need to change the fluid
2) heat - need to change the fluid

buy a power bleeder ~$45
use good fluid

Dump the old stuff

If you change from blue to gold you can see when system is FLUSHED

Keep you ride happy!
jim912928
I'm also not sure you want to do this. Alot of the brake fluid (remember what it looks like when it's coming out)....will have little air bubbles within the brake fluid if you already have air in the lines. Seems like you'd be putting air back into the brake lines via all the imbedded bubbles?
Joe Bob
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jun 25 2005, 06:07 AM)

buy a power bleeder ~$45
use good fluid

Dump the old stuff

Keep you ride happy!

I agree with you on 2 outta three.....

Toss the old stuff, use blue-->gold--->blue---->gold.....but not on the power bleeder.

They just seem to be a bitch to use and in my experience the power bleeders are the way to go.
Trekkor
after flushing system

Opening post...Always read the opening post dry.gif

After the fluid is flushed, I've read and heard and seen people going through 2,4 and 8 quarts of fluid before they still aren't happy.

This is my way, take or leave it... biggrin.gif

KT
Joe Bob
QUOTE (trekkor @ Jun 25 2005, 07:01 AM)
after flushing system

Opening post...Always read the opening post dry.gif

After the fluid is flushed, I've read and heard and seen people going through 2,4 and 4 quarts of fluid before they still aren't happy.

This is my way, take or leave it... biggrin.gif

KT

If you replace calipers or lines you WILL burn thru a lot of fluid before all the air is out.

On a regular maintenance purge....less than a quart is the norm....or a liter if it's ATE Blue/Gold. It's a unique idea to run the drain line back to the rez, but have you ever looked at fluid that came out of a bleeder valve?
Trekkor
I have seen the fluid...Read "my fluid" at Streets of Willow. headbang.gif

My process only works after the system has been flushed or the fluid is still new.

I rebuilt the calipers a few weeks back and put all new Motul in there.

Yesterday I finished the brake lines.
It would be insane to throw away the 3-4 qts to get all the air out.

BTW, don't most techs recommend flushing every two years or so? New fluid is relevant.

KT
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 25 2005, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (qa1142 @ Jun 25 2005, 06:07 AM)

buy a power bleeder ~$45
use good fluid

Dump the old stuff

Keep you ride happy!

I agree with you on 2 outta three.....

Toss the old stuff, use blue-->gold--->blue---->gold.....but not on the power bleeder.

They just seem to be a bitch to use and in my experience the power bleeders are the way to go.

So which is it, use the power bleeder or not? blink.gif

I think you've been huffing your own farts again laugh.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 24 2005, 12:56 PM)
ummm... why are you using the BOTTOM bleeder...

air rises you know smile.gif

But if someone were to use DOT 5 then the water would be on the bottom as DOT 5 is lighter than water wink.gif Plus you want to remove all of the old fluid anyway and any potential debris.
TravisNeff
DOT5? Silicon fluid makes for mushy feeling brakes. Stuff is more suited for storing a car than driving.

I think the recirculating fluid is great, the bubbles that I have seen are quite large, not foamy and it still has time to dissapate the bubbles in the resivour.
redshift
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 25 2005, 12:45 PM)

That is gross! smilie_pokal.gif

M
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Air_Cooled_Nut @ Jun 25 2005, 08:45 AM)

So which is it, use the power bleeder or not? blink.gif

Lemme e'splain eet two jew Beaver boy....

I doan like power bleeders....and my farts smell fine, it's the dogs that make my eyes water....especially after Liver Snaps from the night before....
TravisNeff
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 25 2005, 09:16 AM)
and my farts smell fine

Everyone likes their own brand lol2.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 25 2005, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (Sir Fartalot @ Jun 25 2005, 09:16 AM)
and my farts smell fine

Everyone likes their own brand lol2.gif

Gud...I thought it was because I was wierd....
nebreitling
i'm leery of 'recyling' the brake fluid as you bleed. i know you'd just recently flushed it, but any opportunity i have to flush again (and get little bits of impurities out), i'll flush again. maybe that's senseless, though.

also, i always just bleed the top nipple -- and have never had anything other than a totally firm pedal unsure.gif ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.