Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a vibrator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Does a good job cleaning up the parts but leaves a residue. I bought some kitty liter and home that will work to clean it up and give it a final polish. It’s loud but I found a place in back of the building so it’s not so annoying.
burton73
I got the same one and tried on a set of lugs. It left some crap on them. I have been to the factories that make this stuff. They use polyester casting resin and fill it with the grit and pour it in rubber molds of a pyramid shape and then pop them out but the millions. I think it leaves resin on the pieces. As Acetone should clean that off as it eats/thins resin

Bob B
914Sixer
Never had good luck with them. Maybe just me.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2019, 01:18 PM) *

Does a good job cleaning up the parts but leaves a residue. I bought some kitty liter and home that will work to clean it up and give it a final polish. It’s loud but I found a place in back of the building so it’s not so annoying.

Never had much luck either with vibrator tumblers. Ok for things shaped like rocks but will not get to recessed surfaces. An ultra sonic works great on latches like you have in there. Just got a cheap HF one and I have cleaned the worse parts like CVs. Wish I got one years ago. Great on tools with dirt packed in grooves like pliers.
Beach914
My experience in the stamping industry is that it is used with soapy water. Parts have to be rinsed and then dried or continued into a plating process......

Can't say I ever seen it done dry.
Mueller
Ditto on the soapy water.
burton73
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Apr 29 2019, 03:59 PM) *

My experience in the stamping industry is that it is used with soapy water. Parts have to be rinsed and then dried or continued into a plating process......

Can't say I ever seen it done dry.

Great for cleaning brass for reloading

bbrock
Okay, I admit I was expecting to find something much more risque when I opened this thread but...

I've had pretty good luck with mine. Kitty litter didn't work for me because it pounded to dust too quickly. Might have gotten the wrong stuff. The pyramid resin chips have worked the best and like others have said, works better with some sort of solvent. I had the best luck with Pine-sol in the resin chips. Also as others have said, there are limits on how far it gets into recesses etc. For fine polish, filling the tumbler with walnut shells worked pretty well.

My HF ultrasonic cleaner worked great for the little while it worked before it crapped out. The electronics panel is right on the front where it gets dripped on every time you remove the lid and is not sealed well. Take extra steps if you don't want yours to die young like mine did.
bdstone914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 29 2019, 05:17 PM) *

Okay, I admit I was expecting to find something much more risque when I opened this thread but...

I've had pretty good luck with mine. Kitty litter didn't work for me because it pounded to dust too quickly. Might have gotten the wrong stuff. The pyramid resin chips have worked the best and like others have said, works better with some sort of solvent. I had the best luck with Pine-sol in the resin chips. Also as others have said, there are limits on how far it gets into recesses etc. For fine polish, filling the tumbler with walnut shells worked pretty well.

My HF ultrasonic cleaner worked great for the little while it worked before it crapped out. The electronics panel is right on the front where it gets dripped on every time you remove the lid and is not sealed well. Take extra steps if you don't want yours to die young like mine did.

@Epstein

Can you post pics of the final results?

@bbrock
I gave up on my HF vibrator but did not try various media.

I have gone thru three HF ultra Sonics for the same reason. The condensed water pours onto the electrical panel and it gives error codes and craos out. So I put them in the sun till the water in out of the display. Then exchange them under warranty.
mepstein
Here’s the parts after I rinsed off the kitty litter powder. No residue from the ceramic media. Left it smooth but dull. I’m guessing this will result in a dull finish if I zinc plate. @bbrock will walnut shells actually shine it up or am I chasing my tail.
Last year I bead blasted a 5 gallon bucket of hardware but left it in my garage so everything had a light coating of rust. I don’t have the patience to head blast again and I was hoping for a smoother finish than what results from blasting. Suggestions are appreciated.
iankarr
Where do the C batteries go?
76-914
I bought one of those. In fact I forgot that I bought one and bought another when on sale. av-943.gif I gave one to my SiL who makes jewelry. Damned nice one off stuff. Anyway, she uses some SS shot for media. She said its expensive but damn the results looked nice. It also covered those little nooks and crannies well. You might look into this stuff for a nice finish. If you don't find it PM me and I'll get the info/link from her. beerchug.gif
Freezin 914
I am not as tech savvy as you guys, so don’t know how to post a link. But as for polishing items, I would search for a YouTube video by redline media shop, it is a video on restoring old hot wheels, the spectraflame type. He covers the media he uses, it is a mixture of walnut shell media, the stones you all refer to. Also mixes them with polishing stones, comet, borax etc. the car body’s come out nice and shiny. Maybe just check it out. May help get desired results you are looking for. stirthepot.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 29 2019, 09:33 PM) *

I bought one of those. In fact I forgot that I bought one and bought another when on sale. av-943.gif I gave one to my SiL who makes jewelry. Damned nice one off stuff. Anyway, she uses some SS shot for media. She said its expensive but damn the results looked nice. It also covered those little nooks and crannies well. You might look into this stuff for a nice finish. If you don't find it PM me and I'll get the info/link from her. beerchug.gif

Looks like it's easy to find on amazon & ebay. I'll give it a try.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 29 2019, 07:21 PM) *

Here’s the parts after I rinsed off the kitty litter powder. No residue from the ceramic media. Left it smooth but dull. I’m guessing this will result in a dull finish if I zinc plate. @bbrock will walnut shells actually shine it up or am I chasing my tail.
Last year I bead blasted a 5 gallon bucket of hardware but left it in my garage so everything had a light coating of rust. I don’t have the patience to head blast again and I was hoping for a smoother finish than what results from blasting. Suggestions are appreciated.

Quickest way to shine the big stuff like that is with a wire wheel. Should take less than a minute to polish off the latch. This was one of the earlier pieced I plated so not my best work, but not bad.

Click to view attachment

I used walnut shell mostly on stuff too small to wire brush. Walnut might polish the larger stuff, but I'll bet it would take a long time. As was already said, there are some good Youtube vids of people trying all kinds of things with different results. There are some good tips on prepping for electroplating in this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTupOgImpWo

mepstein
So the kitty litter was ok but not really and made sort of a mess. I took 76-914 advice and purchased steel shop off ebay (cheaper than amazon) 10lbs for $18 shipped. I didn't use stainless because I was using ferrous metal anyway. Stainless is good when you don't want to leave residue that can rust. So far the results look great. A couple bonuses with the steel shot; The tumbler runs much much quieter. It works quickly, I could see results in 15-20 minutes, not hours. It doesn't leave any mess. It last WAY longer than other media, like 1000x longer. The only downside is the steel shot is so much denser that 10lbs isn't enough to cover the pieces. I had to order another 10lb bag and wait until Tuesday for delivery.

Here's a pic of the first batch I sent to get plated.
mepstein
Don’t send the rear latch receiver through.
mepstein
First batch is done and I’m very happy with the results.
There is a time and labor investment involved.
76-914
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 3 2019, 07:58 PM) *

So the kitty litter was ok but not really and made sort of a mess. I took 76-914 advice and purchased steel shop off ebay (cheaper than amazon) 10lbs for $18 shipped. I didn't use stainless because I was using ferrous metal anyway. Stainless is good when you don't want to leave residue that can rust. So far the results look great. A couple bonuses with the steel shot; The tumbler runs much much quieter. It works quickly, I could see results in 15-20 minutes, not hours. It doesn't leave any mess. It last WAY longer than other media, like 1000x longer. The only downside is the steel shot is so much denser that 10lbs isn't enough to cover the pieces. I had to order another 10lb bag and wait until Tuesday for delivery.

Here's a pic of the first batch I sent to get plated.

I'll pass the compliment onto my sister in law. beerchug.gif BTW, those look great! drooley.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 13 2019, 10:34 AM) *

First batch is done and I’m very happy with the results.
There is a time and labor investment involved.

Nice! drooley.gif My stuff is at the same shop waiting for plating now. I did not send the rear trunk receiver thank goodness.
bdstone914
@mepstein

Mark,

Add late type headlight pivots to the list of parts to not plate. Late type are steel posts inserted in zinc bases. See how yours got ate up? Note the hole size is enlarged on all but two which are early. Look at at the ends. Early all steel have a radius end. Late type have a flat end with a bevel.
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 14 2019, 02:03 AM) *

@mepstein

Mark,

Add late type headlight pivots to the list of parts to not plate. Late type are steel posts inserted in zinc bases. See how yours got ate up? Note the hole size is enlarged on all but two which are early. Look at at the ends. Early all steel have a radius end. Late type have a flat end with a bevel.

agree.gif
90quattrocoupe
When using steel shot, do you use soap with it, too?

Greg W.
mepstein
QUOTE(90quattrocoupe @ May 16 2019, 12:33 AM) *

When using steel shot, do you use soap with it, too?

Greg W.

I used the steel shot dry. I didn’t want a rusty mess. If it was stainless, that might be different.
mepstein
I went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of these plastic boxes. I’ll have more parts returning from plating and didn’t want to just keep them in a big box. These should let me find parts pretty quickly. Not as nice as the metal organizers at the shop but budget friendly for me. The larger parts will go into the hanging plastic bins. I’ll pick up another tomorrow with a 25% coupon.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 25 2019, 12:15 PM) *

I went to harbor freight and bought a bunch of these plastic boxes. I’ll have more parts returning from plating and didn’t want to just keep them in a big box. These should let me find parts pretty quickly. Not as nice as the metal organizers at the shop but budget friendly for me. The larger parts will go into the hanging plastic bins. I’ll pick up another tomorrow with a 25% coupon.

I bought several of those organizers on the right from HF. My only complaint is that half the latches don't work or break off after a couple uses. I just stack them flat and they work fine though.
mepstein
More shiny parts
mepstein
Last batch for now.
mepstein
One last batch - for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.