Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3D Printed Center Sun Visor Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Robarabian
So I got my son a 3d printer last year. Been learning how to use it. I found the plan to print a 914 center mount for the sun visor. Sometimes the parts are hard to come by.

If anyone needs one, I can print it. I didn't do the artwork, but it is accurate and works well. Maybe this is already on the forum, but I thought I would throw it out there. Print time is about 2.5 hours so they don't just pop out. PM me if you really need one, not just want a spare.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
914Rubber makes and sells this. Sorry... blink.gif
Robarabian
Not trying to sell them. Just being helpful. They have most everything there and I didn't even look. No biggie!! Thanks.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 29 2019, 08:56 PM) *

r3dplanet
Very cool. I wonder how 3D printing will aid in low cost manufacture of other hard parts, like the relay box.
JamesM
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 29 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Very cool. I wonder how 3D printing will aid in low cost manufacture of other hard parts, like the relay box.

Think I read/saw somewhere that Porsche has been 3d printing unobtainable metal parts during restorations on 959s. Cool technology. Will be a great day when nothing is NLA!
Mikey914
3D printing direct laser sintering. All really cool. Just cost too much to make in time and effort unless you need just one or two.

I do have these and both ends done. We injection mold these. and they have the correct texture.

A set of these (all 3) without the metal pins run $20.

These are fun to play with. The day is coming that we will have replicators.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 30 2019, 01:06 AM) *

Not trying to sell them. Just being helpful. They have most everything there and I didn't even look. No biggie!! Thanks.

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 29 2019, 08:56 PM) *

I totally appreciate the desire to make it yourself. But you said “hard to find.” 914Rubber has made these for years, so not hard at all to find. Plus 2.5 hours is a long time to dedicate to one piece! If you sat there and made ten of them, @mikey914 might have his delivered to you! evilgrin.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 29 2019, 11:45 PM) *

So I got my son a 3d printer last year. Been learning how to use it. I found the plan to print a 914 center mount for the sun visor. Sometimes the parts are hard to come by.

If anyone needs one, I can print it. I didn't do the artwork, but it is accurate and works well. Maybe this is already on the forum, but I thought I would throw it out there. Print time is about 2.5 hours so they don't just pop out. PM me if you really need one, not just want a spare.

Nice looking print. What type of material did you use? Also what layer thickness did you use? 0.1mm? 2.5 hours seems like a long time for that part.
barefoot
Having been in the gas turbine engineering design parts business for many years, I now know of applications for metal parts that are replacing complex castings with features that previously required multiple parts and assembly operations. They're printing multiple parts at once with properties suitable for high temperature/ load situations.
I just saw an article for sailboat snatch blocks in production form 3D printing.
the world is changing !
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 29 2019, 08:45 PM) *

"A" for Effort beerchug.gif
"A" for offering them (if truly needed)
"A" for sharing

Thanks and enjoy!!!! piratenanner.gif

Oscar
Chi-town
@Ribarabian Nice work!

Now that you've got the design are you able to modify it?
The issue is the two steel stems aren't supported well on the originals, can you make it so we can run one piece all the way through?
76-914
agree.gif They should be a 1/2" wider. beerchug.gif BTW, hang around with that printer. I'm sure we'll need something printed up sooner or later. beerchug.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Apr 30 2019, 12:59 AM) *

Plus 2.5 hours is a long time to dedicate to one piece! If you sat there and made ten of them, @mikey914 might have his delivered to you! evilgrin.gif

2.5 hours machine time, setup is less than 5 minutes

Can probably print 5 at a time overnight with the same 5 minute setup

Plus having the ability to modify the design is always nice/fun too
bdstone914
QUOTE(Chi-town @ Apr 30 2019, 06:56 AM) *

@Ribarabian Nice work!

The issue is the two steel stems aren't supported well on the originals, can you make it so we can run one piece all the way through?

@Robarabian
@chi-town
If the post were made as one piece it would need to be held from turning. Early posts were chrome plated steel. Late were plastic.
I see a bigger problem with the bases cracking.
Maybe that could be addressed with more or stronger material.
Bruce
7TPorsh
This is cool. i suppose you could do these in any color.

If you could make a hard, thin visor that uses the stock hardware. I'd be in.
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 30 2019, 10:57 AM) *

@Ribarabian Nice work!

@Robarabian
@chi-town
If the post were made as one piece it would need to be held from turning. Early posts were chrome plated steel. Late were plastic.
I see a bigger problem with the bases cracking.
Maybe that could be addressed with more or stronger material.
Bruce

Cast aluminum or steel.
Mikey914

@Ribarabian Nice work!

Problem is the pins come out at an angle. You would have to put the rod through them bend it.
Robarabian
I'm new to making this stuff, so I am sure once i get the hang of how to design, anything is possible. The item is made from PLA, which is a very sturdy plastic. Looking at it in comparison to the one in my car, this feels stiffer. I am going to print one in black and then switch them out to see how it holds up.

The part probably cost me 1.50 in electricity and 5.00 bucks in PLA material. Like the Ronco chicken rotisserie, I "set it and forget it" till it is done printing. Coffee, or doing something else while it prints. It certainly is better than spending $98.00 dollars for the 3 piece set if you only needed the center part. I appreciate 914 Rubber for making all the parts they have but I find the technology amazing that I could actually make this at home. I did some contract work at SpaceX several years ago, and they print in titanium for parts nobody can make.

I found 3d designs for the relay cover and some other plastic parts as well, but my printer bed is a little too small to do those. It is a matter of time before we can print anything on the car.

To answer the last part of your question, it depends. IF you want to use the steel rods that have the oblong shape, I'm sure the design could be modified. If you just wanted to use small diameter round bar, it would be simple to drill it out slightly to make it round all the way through. The PLA seems stronger so I think it would hold up.

@Ribarabian Nice work!

Robarabian
Great minds think alike, I am wrapping my head around making a hard plastic visor. Mine are sagging a bit so hopefully during the Summer, I will know enough about how do get it done... I may have a helper as well... My printer bed is small, but the beauty of these printers is you can make modular parts that join together. Once you glue em, sand them and paint them (if necessary) they look pretty seamless. The cool part is PLA comes in many colors, including Carbon Fiber. So if you had a custom interior, blue, red etc.., you can print in those colors and have matching pieces.

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 30 2019, 08:14 AM) *

This is cool. i suppose you could do these in any color.

If you could make a hard, thin visor that uses the stock hardware. I'd be in.

Robarabian
Rafts: Doesn't Matter
Supports: Doesn't Matter
Resolution: .2
Infill: 90%
Filament_brand: Snapmaker
Filament_material: ABS or PLA (either will work)

I set the printer on the highest quality setting which is why it took longer. If I put it at "normal" or even the lighter setting, it would do it in 45 minutes likely. I wanted the highest quality rigid part that I could get.

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 30 2019, 02:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 29 2019, 11:45 PM) *

Nice looking print. What type of material did you use? Also what layer thickness did you use? 0.1mm? 2.5 hours seems like a long time for that part.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 30 2019, 11:58 AM) *

The part probably cost me 1.50 in electricity and 5.00 bucks in PLA material.

You could make dozens of these with one $20 - $30 roll and the electricity would also be pennies each, not dollars

Also, you may or may not find that the PLA holds up well in an "outdoor' environment

It's a little harder to work with, but I have started printing with ABS
Superhawk996
3D printing has come a long way particularly with sintered metals.

Check out this functional Bugatti Titanium brake caliper.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jaclyntrop/201...r/#221a39315f4b
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 29 2019, 09:49 PM) *
The day is coming that we will have replicators.

Me: Replicator, one hot coffee, black, in my favorite mug

Replicator: Bzzzz ...

Me: morning1.gif

Mikey914
The $98 set hast stainless pins molded into it. All 3 parts in plastic only are $20 normal retail.
My cost $3500 in hard tooling,
About $.25 for the sides and .40 for the center.

Yes at cost they are .90 a set.
Mikey914
The stainless pins are not included in the cost here
RickS
Now if anyone could design a retrofit where the center can detach and the sides can swivel like a normal car, it would be fantastic. Purists cover your eyes
Valy
Great work, well appreciated!
We need to create a library of 914 printable parts available to the community.
I made my printable gasket set available to all (see my signature)
bdstone914
QUOTE(RickS @ May 1 2019, 09:10 PM) *

Now if anyone could design a retrofit where the center can detach and the sides can swivel like a normal car, it would be fantastic. Purists cover your eyes

You would be better to adapt visors that pivot than to adapt stock visors.
Stock visors are a wire frame with two pinch clamps and foam and vinyl
Bruce
jb6000
I would not use PLA for car interior parts. It will warp in the sun. It will degrade too soon. It can't take UV rays. Choose a plastic that is strong and can take some heat. With the right plastic and or epoxy coating the part will survive better.
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(jb6000 @ May 2 2019, 10:46 AM) *

I would not use PLA for car interior parts. It will warp in the sun. It will degrade too soon. It can't take UV rays. Choose a plastic that is strong and can take some heat. With the right plastic and or epoxy coating the part will survive better.

PLA has come a long way and some of the PLA PRO type products are pretty durable, but I agree and have moved on to ABS for parts that will see light, heat, and weather

I haven't printed anything for the 914 yet, but I print parts for my motorcycle

nditiz1
Put these great parts you all are making on thingiverse. Others, like myself that have a printer, would love to play around with.
branston
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 30 2019, 12:42 AM) *

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 29 2019, 08:32 PM) *

Think I read/saw somewhere that Porsche has been 3d printing unobtainable metal parts during restorations on 959s. Cool technology. Will be a great day when nothing is NLA!

It's true, here's Porsche's news on the subject:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallback/en/co...tive-14816.html
Joemo5
Carbon infused nylon is the best stuff that I've came across. Durable, resistant to common chemicals and very tough. Marforged has a printer that will lay continuous strands of carbon fiber inside of the 3D printed carbon infused nylon. It rivals the strength of a low grade aluminum. Having used on on a daily basis in a professional environment, we have replaced all kinds of metal tooling with it. If only it was with the hobbiest price range..

https://youtu.be/2o02D94B4y8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.