Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just painted rotor hubs :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
in the process of redoing brakes, calps, etc. decided to paint the rotors. Used VHT rotor/caliper paint in black. Turned out really nice. Should keep em from rusting for a while. Sorry no digicam photos sad.gif. paint went on very nice - highly recommend it next time you replace rotors. They also have an alum. colored paint which would nice
Brad Roberts
Please tell us you didnt paint the brake surface area ...LOL

I personally dont paint anything that is designed to dissipate heat (rotors/engine blocks/calipers)

B
URY914
When I first got in to upgrading my car, I painted the rotor "hats" bright yellow. After the first driver's ed they were covered in pad dust and you couldn't tell I painted 'em.

First and last time for that.

Paul
tod914
nope didnt paint the surface area. sorry to disapoint u there brad blink.gif I covered those in greese so they wouldnt rust. I went with black so the brake dust wouldnt be as obvious. I use the car for shows and would rather not have a hub covered in rust. yah yah i know, they didnt come that way from the factory. -1 point.
Brad Roberts
+1 point.. you didnt paint the brake surface...LOL sorry.. You left yourself wide open for that one.

I like them clean.. mine just dont rust. I dont know why. Maybe it is lack of humidty or something.

B
seanery
I like the grease method, may have to try that one out, it's awful humid here!
Brad Roberts
Jeeze.. you must be kidding..

DRIVE THE DAMN THING. I promise the rust wont last more than 2 cars lengths while driving down the street.

B
tod914
the ones that were on the car were pretty ratty. I wasnt sure how long it would take be4 they turn to crap. so i figured while it was all apart now was the time to do it.

quick question on the rear pads - im having the calipers rebuilt. can i slip the rears calps back on with the brake pads installed? Or do I have to put the calps on first then the pads. I assume i bleed the air out before I set the venting clearance???
Thanks
seanery
yeah, I'm SEEERRRIOUUUUSSSSS.

finger.gif
Brad Roberts
You could slip them on.. but I'm betting you will find it easier to install the calipers and slip the pads in.. then push the pins in with the retainer.

Great question BTW:

"Can I set the venting clearance before bleeding the brakes??"

There is really NO reason why you couldnt set the venting clearance prior to bleeding the brakes. The pistons have self adjusters in them... so they dont "push" back in. You have to "adjust" them back in once they are out.

B
URY914
Putting the calipers back on with the pads in them is a pain in the ass and almost impossible.(this is when some guy jumps up and says he does it all the time)

You have to adjust the clearance anyway.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI:

I have never done it this way.

Not intentially at least.

Just so happens I have always bled the brakes first.

B
URY914
See I told you someone would say that-BRAD! ar15.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Hints on adjusting clearance?
tod914
Ok thanks, now Ill prove you all wrong and install them with the pads. Might have to borrow the neighbors baby sledge but im sure i can do it in 1 shot smash.gif

tanks again
URY914
My tip on adjusting clearance would be that you won't get it right the first time. That lock nut on the set screw is a PITA. If your gap is to big your pedal will have a lot of travel. And the in board one that you reach through the trailing arm is fun too.

Take your time.

Paul
Lawrence
- Turn rotors if they're grooved before you put new pads in.
- Put pads in before starting to bleed the brakes. ALWAYS. I learned the hard way, if you try bleeding first.
- Bleed before setting vent clearance.
- Double check vent clearance.

-Rusty
Qarl
About 5 years ago, I rebuilt my rear brake calipers (one of the first technical things I did on my old 914), and I replaced the rear rotors.

I did a good job (I thought), mounted everyting. I adjusted the rear brake pad clearance and then bled the brakes like crazy.

I took the car out for a drive at night, to notice a strange smell after a few blocks. I came back to a glowing hot rotor. Some of the brake pad binding compound had melted.

Turns out that after I bled the brakes, the driver's side pad seated itself against the rotor.

Since then, I learned to...

a. Bleed the brakes
b. Adjust the clearance again!
c. Pump the brakes a few times
d. Recheck the clearance

Due to the special "high heat treatment" of the left rotor... it rusted significantly more than the passenger side rotor in the Florida humidity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.