Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Machine shop in SoCal that knows our engines?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning, hope everybody’s day is off to a good start. Looking for recommendations on a machine shop that knows our engines well. I have an engine with a 2.0l case and 1.8 heads that pulls well but has some oil blow by.

I read Tom Wilson‘s book last night and I am considering pulling the heads and pistons to do a top end rebuild. Basically I am thinking that if I need to pull the heads anyway I should get them professionally inspected before thinking about putting them back on.

This would be my first engine work on one of these and I am Keene to give it a go as a learning experience.

Thanks!
Carl La Fong
Take/send the heads to these guys.

European Motor Works
13224 Prairie Ave.
Hawthorne, Ca
90250. 800 722 8678

They can even do a twin plug conversion if you want.
914Toy
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ Apr 30 2019, 09:07 AM) *

Take/send the heads to these guys.

European Motor Works
13224 Prairie Ave.
Hawthorne, Ca
90250. 800 722 8678

They can even do a twin plug conversion if you want.

agree.gif
Tdskip
Thanks.

No twin plug slippery slope stuff guys! (Tempting)

Any idea - ballpark - what an inspection and likely valve guides would be?
colingreene
why would you waste your time with a 1.8L head.
the 2.0 is far better.
Tdskip
QUOTE(colingreene @ Apr 30 2019, 12:21 PM) *

why would you waste your time with a 1.8L head.
the 2.0 is far better.

Hi - good question, it’s because I already own the 1.8 heads and I believe they have been modified to flow better (subject to confirmation). The car came this way, I didn’t take 2.0 heads off it to out 1.8 on.
dlee6204
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 30 2019, 01:18 PM) *

Thanks.

No twin plug slippery slope stuff guys! (Tempting)

Any idea - ballpark - what an inspection and likely valve guides would be?

I’ll also suggest European. I actually just had a set of heads done last week. I’d guess 300-500 for refreshing the heads. I’d give them a call
Tdskip
Just got off the phone with them -nice people to talk to and it’s clear they do a lot of these.

Pricing is in the range above, it obviously depends on the condition of what I bring then.

Interestingly they said that they routinely replace the intake valve on the 1.8 heads with a larger one that makes their flow quite similar to the 2 L.

Thanks for the referral, these look to be the guys
burton73
Your machinist is your best friend if they are good. You bring them the Eng. torn down and they speck it and tell you what is what. On the 1st Eng./ 2.0 that I did in the late 70s they told be everything that I needed and what work it would need to make it stock perfect. They even had the deal on the parts back then. All I had to do was keep it clean and follow my manual and start the finished product.

They did all the machine work and the balancing of the parts. Things have changed a bit but they still do this work

Bob B
beer3.gif
Tdskip
Thanks Bob. I was hoping to not split the case but having them balance everything if I have to go that far makes a ton of sense.

Thanks
Larmo63
Drop a 911 engine in it and go fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.