Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Troubleshooting Ignition system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TroyVB
I have a Jacobs Electronics ignition system in my '73 1.7. Backed it out of the garage and left it idling. Ran in to get my sunglasses and when I came back the engine had stopped. I turned it over and got a few backfires but it would not catch and run. Now I don't have any spark. Engine turns over fine but the LEDs on the Jacobs box are not lit and I can't remember if they were ever on when the car was not running. I have 12v to the unit and the antitheft wire has a good ground.

I have never worked on an electronic ignition system like this.

Can someone help me with a troubleshooting procedure?
Mark Henry
You'll have to google search.
You might be hooped, Jacob's is no more.
TroyVB
Yep, I have done the Google search as well as a search on this site. I will try to troubleshoot first, but if I need to replace what are your ignition system recommendations for a '73 1.7 with Weber carbs? Not sure why the PO installed the Jacobs system or when.

Thanks for the help.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(TroyVB @ May 2 2019, 08:18 AM) *

Yep, I have done the Google search as well as a search on this site. I will try to troubleshoot first, but if I need to replace what are your ignition system recommendations for a '73 1.7 with Weber carbs? Not sure why the PO installed the Jacobs system or when.

Thanks for the help.

It's a CDI like a MSD, hotter spark, likely bought because the PO had a miss or just thought it could help.
MSD (mr. gasket) owns (owned?) Jacobs, Mallory and a few others, they shut down the Jacobs line, mallory is also in the process of being shuttered.
injunmort
I have one of these ignitions in my most recent project. it fires so far. not a lot of useful info on the net that I have been able to find. I am very tempted just to go back to coil and points.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 3 2019, 07:20 AM) *

I have one of these ignitions in my most recent project. it fires so far. not a lot of useful info on the net that I have been able to find. I am very tempted just to go back to coil and points.

If you have it and it works run it, hotter spark is good and Porsche went to a CDI on the /6.
Tbrown4x4
I have the Ignition book by Jacobs you can have. Not sure if there is much troubleshooting in it. PM me with your address.

Update: Just looked through the Jacobs Book. Not really much troubleshooting in it. Just some basics, so it probably won't help much, but you're still welcome to it.
TroyVB
Thanks for the help. I am thinking of switching to a Pertronix system. I have checked all my connections on the Jacobs system and they check out. It looks as though the CDI box has an internal problem. The box is epoxied shut so it looks like there is no fixing components.

Thanks for the book offer tbrown4x4. I think I will replace with something current.

I am open to suggestions.
porschetub
Old system as mentioned but for the day it was the nuts,you will be fine with Pertronix II get the correct impedance coil to match and use good plug leads you will be happy as,cheers.
Tbrown4x4
Agreed. I'm very happy with my Pertronix. I commute almost 100 miles each day, and have had no problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.