Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3800SC Swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jlambert22
Hello everyone.
This is my first thread in here so forgive me if the questions have been answered already. I've just purchased a 76 and I've already got a low 1,900 mile 3800SC I'd like to use for the swap. This is my fourth 914 over the course of my life but I've never had a swapped car before. I'm specifically looking for a mount for 60 degree chevy bell housing. Not sure if one exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
IPB Image

IPB Image
tazz9924
QUOTE(jlambert22 @ May 1 2019, 02:32 PM) *

Hello everyone.
This is my first thread in here so forgive me if the questions have been answered already. I've just purchased a 76 and I've already got a low 1,900 mile 3800SC I'd like to use for the swap. This is my fourth 914 over the course of my life but I've never had a swapped car before. I'm specifically looking for a mount for 60 degree chevy bell housing. Not sure if one exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

I don’t know, but look at other transmission options if an adapter doesn’t exist. i doubt it would fit due to being transverse but a fiero 4 speed bolts right up. maybe a transmission out of a toronado? idk do some research of trans swaps and something that might work may come up. id love to see a supercharged non v8 914 aktion035.gif
Mueller
https://www.kennedyeng.com/6-cylinder-engine-list , maybe kit number 4450? I'd call 1st.

I have their adapter for a Honda V6 in my car.
jlambert22
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 1 2019, 04:24 PM) *

https://www.kennedyeng.com/6-cylinder-engine-list , maybe kit number 4450? I'd call 1st.

I have their adapter for a Honda V6 in my car.

I may not have been clear regarding my request. I am planning to use the Kennedy adapter, but I need the front crossmember/mount.
Chi-town
A renegade V8 mount would probably work with some minor modification
Andyrew
The rennegade bar should work. If not it's probably the easiest mount to fab up.
Chris914n6
Renegade mount is for a 90* V8, not going to bolt in. You are going to have to fab one.

That motor has alot of stuff sticking out the front, I'd test fit before getting too much money into it. You might not like all the cutting and welding to make it work.
jlambert22
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 1 2019, 08:54 PM) *

Renegade mount is for a 90* V8, not going to bolt in. You are going to have to fab one.

That motor has alot of stuff sticking out the front, I'd test fit before getting too much money into it. You might not like all the cutting and welding to make it work.

The overall length is actually less than the Type IV
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jlambert22 @ May 1 2019, 09:54 PM) *

The engine bay gets significantly smaller at the top between the trunk and the firewall/seatbacks.

I bring this up as my Maxima 60* V6 "fits" but because of all the stuff overhanging the tranny (fwd) I elected to push everything forward 1.5" to clear the trunk, thus requiring a remote oil filter and a few swings where the heads touched the upper firewall about shoulder area.

I see a height problem particularly with the SC snout.
jlambert22
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ May 1 2019, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(jlambert22 @ May 1 2019, 09:54 PM) *

The engine bay gets significantly smaller at the top between the trunk and the firewall/seatbacks.

I bring this up as my Maxima 60* V6 "fits" but because of all the stuff overhanging the tranny (fwd) I elected to push everything forward 1.5" to clear the trunk, thus requiring a remote oil filter and a few swings where the heads touched the upper firewall about shoulder area.

I see a height problem particularly with the SC snout.

I really appreciate the info! I’ll do some more measuring. The engine is actually a 90 degree engine with a 60 degree bell housing so the height of the engine itself may a bit shorter than yours but I don’t know. I also believe the Renegade LS swap uses some trans mounts to move the the who package back a couple of inches. That could help get me there.
pjhaun
QUOTE(jlambert22 @ May 1 2019, 02:32 PM) *

Hello everyone.

Jim
IPB Image

IPB Image

Jim,
If I'm not mistaking that is a front wheel drive engine, and the mounting system is a tab bite different than rear wheel drive engines.

Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.