Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint circ-clip install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
This car is always causing me EXTRA work. Putting the clutch assembly back in and i knocked a few cv joint balls out. Long story short. I CAN’T GET THE CIRC CLIP ON THE INNER CV JOINT TO SEAT. It has been a while since i have done it. Is there a trick? Axle is still connected to the wheel. Prefer not to take it off. KMA.gif
malcolm2
Patients is the trick! I got it. Good light and enough room to hammer at a punch. I hope it is seated. I can’t get my dental pick in any of the ribs all the way around. Fingers crossed.

Question 2 tangerine racing joints have o-rings on the caps. Is this where it goes? Can’t remember. It can’t go inder the cap, can it?Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Learning every swear word in several languages helps. biggrin.gif

Many kits the washer has a way too big conical bend to them, grind a bit off the high side till the C-clip goes on without forcing the CV and clip against the washer.

Axels like my Sway a Way float on the spline, no washer or inside stop, so a little slop won't hurt anything.
rjames
I recall running into the same issue and got it to seat by using a hammer and punch hitting it on the side of the circlip opposite of the two ends.
rjames
Double post
IronHillRestorations
I may be wrong, but I always thought the conical washer was a spring that had to be compressed a little to get the circlip on. I always used a press
Carl La Fong
Try to keep your eye on it when it pops out of whatever you're holding it with so you can find it in your garage.
wysri9
I have also struggled with these circlips. My drive shafts are out of the car and so I have an easier time????/ I have found that hammering with a punch as described just results in the system bouncing on the belleville washer. My plan is now to use threaded rod to draw both CV joints together in a controlled way so the circlips can be slipped in. Anybody else done it like this? I don't have a press sad.gif

Mblizzard
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 1 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Patients is the trick! I got it. Good light and enough room to hammer at a punch. I hope it is seated. I can’t get my dental pick in any of the ribs all the way around. Fingers crossed.

Question 2 tangerine racing joints have o-rings on the caps. Is this where it goes? Can’t remember. It can’t go inder the cap, can it?Click to view attachment

You have it right.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ May 2 2019, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 1 2019, 04:47 PM) *

Question 2 tangerine racing joints have o-rings on the caps. Is this where it goes? Can’t remember. It can’t go under the cap, can it?

You have it right.

Thanks. That was my thought. not ready to re-install the tranz yet. Found the clutch shaft at the pedal to be extra worn.... gotta replace that too. Maybe I will slap the tranz in while I wait on parts.

Man, it just never ends.
malcolm2
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ May 1 2019, 11:44 PM) *

I may be wrong, but I always thought the conical washer was a spring that had to be compressed a little to get the circlip on. I always used a press

I also believe that is the case. But IIRC it only needs to flex a smidge. So i sanded the washer and the clip down after a good cleaning. I had a few strike marks on the clip that were probably restricting the seating process.

Hammer and punch were the ticket. I punched down and in. Never heard a click, but it sure looks and feels like it is IN! cheer.gif
NS914
Hey Guys, I just reinstalled mine for the fourth or fifth time..engine in engine out...anyway, yes a punch and light hammering will get it to seat. I think I bought four additional clips just cuz I knew I would hear one go flying across the garage at one point and sure enough one did.

Just a thought, there is a guy on You Tube....vanswenson....does a really good video Rebuilding 914 CV's....I expect for most of you on here, this is pretty straightforward but for those new to the task....he does a good How To.

Grant
malcolm2
QUOTE(NS914 @ May 2 2019, 10:05 AM) *

there is a guy on You Tube....vanswenson....does a really good video Rebuilding 914 CV's....

Grant

Yes he does. Years ago, I watched and watched and watched before I got up the nerve.

Did that once with an 85 vw cabriolet convertible top. I watched a 1 hour video of this french mechanic installing everything on that top. Did not understand a word he said, but I did it... beerchug.gif
North Coast Jim
I gave up and bought new at the local Porsche dealer. Gives me piece of mind too. $225 each IIRC
fiacra
QUOTE(NS914 @ May 2 2019, 08:05 AM) *

Hey Guys, I just reinstalled mine for the fourth or fifth time..engine in engine out...anyway, yes a punch and light hammering will get it to seat. I think I bought four additional clips just cuz I knew I would hear one go flying across the garage at one point and sure enough one did.

Just a thought, there is a guy on You Tube....vanswenson....does a really good video Rebuilding 914 CV's....I expect for most of you on here, this is pretty straightforward but for those new to the task....he does a good How To.

Grant

Van Svenson. A nice two part video. Here's a link to part one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsytyVzokBg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.