Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who has built a 103mm+ 66mm stroke engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chi-town
Ok let me start this with the statement that I'm not looking for opinions or theories on the subject

I want to know has anyone actually done it?

I understand the bore to stroke ratio is over square

I understand that it won't have any low end

I'm not looking for reliability or 50k miles from it

Yes I know the heads will need worked and I'll need a spicy cam to really make it zing.

Have you built one? How did it run? How long did it last? Where did you get the P&C kit from?

I have a spare 1.8 that I'm willing to invest in just to see what happens.
Steve
I had a 103mm x 71? 2 liter crank? The kit came from European Racing in the late 70’s. I had a 3/4 cam in it and dual 44 Weber’s. It sucked a valve before it made it to 10k miles. Over hauled it and then it broke a ring before it made it to 10k miles the second time around. It was very fast. Ran hot and I had to add an oil cooler. I jury rigged one to the engine lid with a fan. Later the car got rear ended on the avenue. It was totaled, but I was able to buy back the motor and sell it.
ChrisFoley
I had one 20 years ago. I bought it already assembled and rebuilt it to cure oil leaks and other assembly issues.
I used it in my street car and then in my race car before selling to someone else.
The cam made power from 4500-7500 rpm, and had nothing below that, so leaving stop signs into traffic required a clutch dump.
It was the most powerful engine I've ever had in my race car. I think dyno numbers were around 200 peak hp. I reached 125mph at the end of the front straight at Summit Point during a PCA club race around 1999/2000.

Edited to add: mine was 102 x 66.
rhodyguy
P/C are going to run $3680. WOW. Case work? Extensive. Heads, rods.. Better have ALL of your ducks in a row BEFORE you put the trigger. Don't forget the exhaust system that will support the build. You're going to spend a lot of $. A LOT! How do you intend to feed this engine fuel?
Chi-town
I found a NOS set for less than $400, that's kinda the reason it peaked my interest.

The rest is easy/cheap/plentiful as it's still just a type 4 VW engine.

@ChrisFoley thank you! I expect it to perform exactly as you describe.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.