Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil temp readings what to believe ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmessenger
I've been checking the accuracy of my oil temp gauge and have been reading the oil temperature off of two locations on the bottom of the engine.

I have inferred gun that I know is accurate and when I read the engine drain plug area under the car or the metal plate where the oil temp sensor mounts I get readings that are 15 degrees apart?

The center drain plug metal plate reads 180 F and the sensor mount plate reads 195 F

Which one is right?

Thanks

Tim
falcor75
Neither or both. I'm just guessing but depending on where in the case the hot oil comes in you'll have different temps at different places, then add in different heat conductivity in the aluminium case and steel sensor plate and different cooling effects, (mostly while driving) Then the gun itself can differ a bit depending on the surface of the part its aimed at.

The only way to truely know is when doing an oil change to pull the sensor and stick it in a separate oil bath and heat that with a heatgun with a thermometer in the oil (non IR kind) and compare the readings.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.