Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SLITS ...Ron
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixnotfour
biggrin.gif miss that guy
Several things ...

Friday someone dropped their phone out of the window at 90 MPH and insisted I turn around to pickup the pieces. Very angled shoulder on road and ripped my fuel pump mount off ... 2 1/2 hrs in the dirt in Monument Valley and was back on the road again.

Saturday my tach started jumping and engine would momentarily quit. I was advised that the points were closing up. Someone took it upon themselves to help me reset the gap. Finding it almost impossible to do on a /6 conversion, the dizzy was pulled and the timing lost. At 1 AM we gave up and tried to get some sleep. Sunday morn early, got a timing light and shot the timing while turning the engine and finally got it back in time. Woke a few people up EARLY when I fired the engine. Put car back together and the rest is RRC history.
ClayPerrine
Yea.. I miss the little bastard too.

He may have been an asshole, but he was our asshole.

Ron, we miss you.

914werke
Recognize that (those) shots, Lancaster? Gone but not forgotten
914_teener
One of my favorites......just standing there.

Even Ron was dumbstruck.

2005 ...IRC.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
How much drop on the other side of berm.
914_teener
Bout 1000 ft IIRC.
sixnotfour
One of my favorites......just standing there.

Even Ron was dumbstruck.

2005 ...IRC.

very rare..... beer.gif
914 Ranch
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2019, 10:32 PM) *

How much drop on the other side of berm.

Hey Kevin, I got there just about the time that picture was taken. I was driving sweep and stopped to check on a straggler. Bobby entered the turn a little fast and broke the front aluminum cross beam. It's more than 1000 feet and about 60°. Anything going down there doesn't stop till it gets to the rocks in the creek bed.
Yeah I miss Ron, but I miss that ride and T H O M A S too.
Sweep is a very safe driving position.
rhodyguy
So you save a couple of pounds on the cross member and roll the dice. The pucker factor must have been extreme. Grown men in 914s.... wacko.gif rolleyes.gif
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 3 2019, 09:26 AM) *

Ron, we miss you.

He wasn't your asshole, he was our asshole so STFU!
Dr Evil
Actually think about him fairly often. He was so friggen smart, waaaaaaay smarter than he looked. The epitome of kindness as well.
rhodyguy
Carl, you being new and all, I think you're taking the wrong approach. shades.gif fuching with admins will get you in a corner sitting on a stool. Just sayin'...
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ May 6 2019, 09:33 PM) *

Ron, we miss you.

Carl,
I know you are new to 914World, and you don't know the history between people here.

I may not live on the west coast. I may not be local to where Ron lived. But he was my friend of many years. Being new, you wouldn't know about the people on this board, and how we are friends despite of the distance between us.

So please don't make comments like this one. You don't have all the facts.

If you have a desire to find out, then just use the search function.

Clay
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 7 2019, 07:22 AM) *

Carl, you being new and all, I think you're taking the wrong approach. shades.gif fuching with admins will get you in a corner sitting on a stool. Just sayin'...

Actually, I wouldn't do a thing. I would ask another admin who was not personally involved to mediate. Using admin rights out of spite for a comment that I didn't like would be unethical.

rhodyguy
I was just trying to offer some guidense to a new guy. wink.gif
rmital
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 09:14 AM) *

Actually, I wouldn't do a thing. I would ask another admin who was not personally involved to mediate. Using admin rights out of spite for a comment that I didn't like would be unethical.

Slits would get a laugh out of this....
we spoke quite a bit on the phone, help me out, sent me parts if I needed them, no cost.
nice, generous guy.
(although, I'm good friends with Sager, so that didn't hurt)
mgp4591
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ May 6 2019, 08:33 PM) *

Ron, we miss you.

Ha! I remember the fun in the desert that night too Jeff...my first encounter with everyone. And quite the introduction to Ron. Cool dude...
I hear where you're coming from Carl but maybe we can agree to share?
914_teener
I think ultimately life is about this:

Pay attention to what people do not what they say.

Can't do that over the internet, because you don't know what they DO.

It's the old phrase: Talk is cheap.

Ron may have said a lot of things, but if you needed a part or needed help, he'd give you the shirt off his back.

And then throw an insult or two at someone.
worn
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 3 2019, 06:26 AM) *

Ron, we miss you.

I only met him in person once, and feel lucky to have had that chance. I was impressed by Ron right off the bat, and saddened at the sudden loss. I think I may have met Carl's twin brother too. Also a privilege.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(worn @ May 7 2019, 11:24 AM) *

Ron, we miss you.

I only met him in person once, and feel lucky to have had that chance. I was impressed by Ron right off the bat, and saddened at the sudden loss. I think I may have met Carl's twin brother too. Also a privilege.

I met him in person a number of times. Always quick with the insults. He used those to hide the fact that he really cared about people. I will always count him among my friends.

And for those who remember the Atomic Ramble, I still say that Howard cheated when measuring Ron and I, and that I am definitely taller than Ron was...

mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ May 7 2019, 11:24 AM) *

Ron, we miss you.

I met him in person a number of times. Always quick with the insults. He used those to hide the fact that he really cared about people. I will always count him among my friends.

And for those who remember the Atomic Ramble, I still say that Howard cheated when measuring Ron and I, and that I am definitely taller than Ron was...

sixnotfour
lol-2.gif av-943.gif aktion035.gif slap.gif
76-914
Took this in 2011. Ron's personal pee spot. It was somewhere near the "xyxz" exit before you hit the desert going to Vegas. He always stopped there. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
2005. As a long line of 914s sped down a rather quiet county road on the way to Mullhalland(sp?) DR, complete with fist shaking residents, one, ONE driver got a ticket. That would be Ron. Him rolling out at 0 dark 30 for the run home from RRC. His headlights were brown. I got a wet towel and wiped them down. Quite the man. The real deal. I think everybody that knew him has a 'Slits story'.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 08:14 AM) *

Unless of course if it was a political comment.
Carl La Fong
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ May 6 2019, 09:33 PM) *

Ron, we miss you.

Carl,
I know you are new to 914World, and you don't know the history between people here.

I may not live on the west coast. I may not be local to where Ron lived. But he was my friend of many years. Being new, you wouldn't know about the people on this board, and how we are friends despite of the distance between us.

So please don't make comments like this one. You don't have all the facts.

If you have a desire to find out, then just use the search function.

Clay

Your just upset because Ron TOWERED over you.
76-914
QUOTE(Carl La Fong @ May 7 2019, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 7 2019, 08:14 AM) *

Unless of course if it was a political comment.

I'm no expert but I think opinions are OK. Except for that time I called Greg a stupid mother sheeplove.gif . I did receive a warning for that. My most cherished moment was when Ron gave me a time out at Club Narp! Now that's something a man can be proud of. av-943.gif
rhodyguy
Greg who?
olsib914
Ahh Ron "my parents said I could be whatever I wanted to be...so I became an ashole" I enjoyed lunch with Ron at one of our last events. Really liked his adverts for swap meets..and to this day no one has shown up with a panamerica. RIP
Olsib914...what another Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.