Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Downgrade a 914/4 side shift trans to a tail shift?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Yes I know it sounds like a stupid question but my original -72 914/4 tail shifter trans needs a rebuild (to be done during next winter) and I have a complete operational -73 side shifter trans available.
Im not to unhappy with how the tail shifting works, have the bushings etc in good shape, do not do any racing etc so at the moment Im in for keeping the car as a tail shifter.

Can I downgrade the side shifter to a tail shifter with the tail cone and other parts from the tail shifter or will I be missing some parts?

Is there a good write up somewhere how to convert from tail to side shift?
(I will try follow it in "reverse" biggrin.gif )

/Lars S
SirAndy
Nevermind, read that wrong ...
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yes but how do you know that the late gearbox is good? if you have no idea you could buy a used tail shift and sell the late model for twice as much

QUOTE(larss @ May 3 2019, 12:37 PM) *

Yes I know it sounds like a stupid question but my original -72 914/4 tail shifter trans needs a rebuild (to be done during next winter) and I have a complete operational -73 side shifter trans available.
Im not to unhappy with how the tail shifting works, have the bushings etc in good shape, do not do any racing etc so at the moment Im in for keeping the car as a tail shifter.

Can I downgrade the side shifter to a tail shifter with the tail cone and other parts from the tail shifter or will I be missing some parts?

Is there a good write up somewhere how to convert from tail to side shift?
(I will try follow it in "reverse" biggrin.gif )

/Lars S

Tdskip
Don't do it - doubt you'll add any value to the car and maybe even lower it for a buyer who wants to actually DRIVE the darn thing.

Get a known to be good, or rebuilt, sideshifter in and be done with it. Keep the tailshifter in case anyone wants it with the car in the future.
oldie914
It's not difficult to change a side shifter to tail shift and the necessary parts (nosepiece, 3 shift rods and central shift rod, shift finger block) are not expensive.
I would not pull the transmission out of the car though until I looked inside the replacement to check its condition. It could have problems too.
I think it would be better to just rebuild what you have.
orthobiz
I learned on my 71 back in the day ca. 1975. I have three 1974 and one 1971 currently. I love the tail shifter, it brings me back to college days. It has new bushings and synchros so it shifts as good as it gets which is plenty good for me.

I have no problem with keeping the tail shifter, keeping a bit more original, somebody besides you and I might just appreciate it someday in the future!

Paul
larss
QUOTE(oldie914 @ May 4 2019, 03:44 PM) *

It's not difficult to change a side shifter to tail shift and the necessary parts (nosepiece, 3 shift rods and central shift rod, shift finger block) are not expensive.
I would not pull the transmission out of the car though until I looked inside the replacement to check its condition. It could have problems too.
I think it would be better to just rebuild what you have.

Thanks,
to rebuild what I have is an alternative that is getting hotter, just wanted to fully understand the alternatives before I decide.

Thanks again!

/Lars S
GeorgeRud
Send the side shifter to Dr. Evil for a refresh/rebuild and you should have a great shifting car. Other than a Concours car, why go to a less precise shifter?
euro911
QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 4 2019, 07:00 AM) *
I learned on my 71 back in the day ca. 1975. I have three 1974 and one 1971 currently. I love the tail shifter, it brings me back to college days. It has new bushings and synchros so it shifts as good as it gets which is plenty good for me.

I have no problem with keeping the tail shifter, keeping a bit more original, somebody besides you and I might just appreciate it someday in the future!

Paul
agree.gif ... I'm putting a (THOMAS-Built) side-shifter in my '71, but I also have the original tail-shifter (that THOMAS also rebuilt) that will go with the car when a new custodian acquires the car.
robin cox
I have a tired crunchy side shift transmission in my 72 car but I also have a 69 tail shift transmission from another car that was rebuilt by Porsche at some expense in the 90's and I've barely used it since. So I want to use the older TS transmission but covert it to side shift with the parts from my SS transmission. I fancy doing it myself but I'm not sure where to look for advice or instruction, I have the Haynes manual, but any pointers or advice on what's involved inside the box would be appreciated.
euro911
Send a PM to Dr Evil ... he may have a DVD video on how to do the conversion.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 5 2019, 12:50 PM) *

Send the side shifter to Dr. Evil for a refresh/rebuild and you should have a great shifting car. Other than a Concours car, why go to a less precise shifter?

George! He’s in Sweden! blink.gif
rhodyguy
Shipping costs x2 would be a disaster. The poster would be better off buying a reworked box stateside and pay shipping one time if he wanted mike to do the work. Sourcing the large bearings is a major hassle.
r_towle
I would suggest you look around in Europe for a tail shifter transmission and sell the side shifter....but, in the case that you must do it.

You will need
side shifter long shifter bar.
Side shifter bushings
Side shifter engine cross member (side shifter bar goes through it)
The conversion bushing (see Chris foley) for the side shifter to use the tail shifter front bushing and firewall housing

You may even need a side shifter (shifter) and the short shifter bar inside the car also...I can't remember.

Where in Sweden are you located?
I get there twice a year, maybe more.
My daughter stayed there after grad school...so we visit frequently.

Rich
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2019, 09:31 AM) *

I would suggest you look around in Europe for a tail shifter transmission and sell the side shifter....but, in the case that you must do it.

You will need
side shifter long shifter bar.
Side shifter bushings
Side shifter engine cross member (side shifter bar goes through it)
The conversion bushing (see Chris foley) for the side shifter to use the tail shifter front bushing and firewall housing

You may even need a side shifter (shifter) and the short shifter bar inside the car also...I can't remember.

Rich

yes, even the shifter is different.It uses a 90 degree joint with a metal bushing that clamps on the short shifter rod, instead of a cup and ball with plastic bushing (911 style)
So even though a tail shifter can be made to work pretty well, there are lots of little things that reduce the slop on a sideshifter that a tailshifter just can't compete.
larss
Thanks all for replying!
I have sent my tail shift to a Porsche experienced trans workshop not to far from me, will decide what route to go after they have done an exam.

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2019, 03:31 PM) *

Rich

Im up in the far northest part of Sweden Rich...where does your daughter live?

///Lars S

rhodyguy
Which ever path you take the shifter MUST be in top form.
r_towle
so then, its shifter, all the way to the back then.
I remember now...
Been a while.

I went to Side shifter long ago, never looked back.
Its really is worth the effort, and its all bolt on.
Go side shifter, keep all the parts for the tail shifter for resale value.
You can get everything you need in Europe, except the cool firewall conversion bushing that Chris Foley makes...and that is worth its weight in gold.
that is the weak spot of the whole setup.

Daughter is in Stockholm, typically that is where I visit, I am usually on my way somewhere and magically route through Stockholm.

My wife goes there, and Jusne (spelling is wrong, I know)
to see her family. About 2 hours north of Stockholm.

Wife and I are planning to get a Volvo again, delivered in Sweden this time, and we plan to go up Norway, and back down Sweden as out tour.
So, I am sure we could put together a meetup....
But
We need Volvo to actually build the damn car now.
electric SUV....
Still waiting.

Rich
larss
Additional question:
My tailshift trans (which now has a growling bearing failure sound) was sitting absolutely still (indoors in a non heated garage) for more than 25 years before I bought the car and made it driveable. I have run it some 6000miles since then (totally the trans has run about 100.000miles) ...the bearing sound has gradually developed.

My question is: is it known if a long period storage can be harmful to bearings etc inside a trans?

//Lars S
rhodyguy
What are you using for gear box lubrication?
larss
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 12 2019, 08:59 PM) *

What are you using for gear box lubrication?

Thanks, I have been using Swepco 201 during my ownership but no idea what was used before I bought it.

/Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.