Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for someone in Seattle for a possible favor:)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akellym
So I'm trying to buy a vintage stereo amp from a shop in Seattle called Turntables and Trails. The shop is telling me they are not comfortable with shipping it. If I can't get them to ship it for me I'm hoping someone in Seattle will be willing to do it for me. We will pay you for your time. Please let me know if your interested. I have been looking for the amp for some time now and would hate to loose over shipping. The shop address is:

Turntables & Trails
8310 8th Ave NW
Seattle, WA

Hopefully they will just ship it and I wont need any help.

Thanks!
rhodyguy
Interesting store. Outdoor gear and stereo equipment. Like R.E.I. with tunes.
sithot
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 4 2019, 04:22 PM) *

Only in Seattle... blink.gif
horizontally-opposed
I'll take it over the "CHINESE FOOD and donuts" place around the corner from my first apartment in San Francisco…
sithot
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 5 2019, 07:35 AM) *

I'll take it over the "CHINESE FOOD and donuts" place around the corner from my first apartment in San Francisco…

LOL!
Bleyseng
QUOTE(akellym @ May 4 2019, 02:16 PM) *

So I'm trying to buy a vintage stereo amp from a shop in Seattle called Turntables and Trails. The shop is telling me they are not comfortable with shipping it. If I can't get them to ship it for me I'm hoping someone in Seattle will be willing to do it for me. We will pay you for your time. Please let me know if your interested. I have been looking for the amp for some time now and would hate to loose over shipping. The shop address is:

Turntables & Trails
8310 8th Ave NW
Seattle, WA

Hopefully they will just ship it and I wont need any help.

Thanks!

I can go out there on Tuesday as I am in Medford now. Shop is in Ballard which is waay across town for me. Message me the details on the amp you want
sixnotfour
actually Greenwood,, Jon Bovy @PeeGreen 914 is right up the street mon-fri
Superhawk996
For What It's Worth:

I'm a huge vintage stereo fan. I've repaired and shipped a number of Yamaha M-80 amps that are about 55 lbs and prone to breaking off the plastic speaker posts.

Shipping vintage stuff is a real concern. UPS is not kind, and doesn't care what is in the box. The boxes do get thrown, dropped, and abused by mechanical equipment and conveyors.

Recommendations:

Must box with absolutely no movement possible within the box. I mean no movement what so ever. Factory box and foam is the best but usually not available on vintage gear. I'll pay extra just to have that factory box. Factory boxes did drop testing, and were designed to ensure parts shipped with no damage.

Once you have that first box properly packed with (wait for it -- NO MOVMENT), that box gets packed inside another bigger box with more foam for what? That's right absolutely no movement.

If you take the time to do that there is a high likelihood that your amp will arrive undamaged (still insure it for full value). If you don't, there is a pretty good chance it will arrive with something damaged (speaker posts, knobs bent, plastic or metal scuffed, dented or broken).

johnlush
I agree with Superhawk, double-boxing is the way to go. I've sent some vintage McIntosh equipment in for repairs over the years and if you pack it "bomb-proof" it should do well. It may just be my experience but I've also had better luck with FedEx Ground over UPS for not beating h*ll out of it in transit.

rjames
If it’s a tube amp, make sure to remove and wrap the tubes individually.
Superhawk996
We need a new thread. Vintage tunes, and vintage rides! biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(sithot @ May 5 2019, 05:04 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 4 2019, 04:22 PM) *

Only in Seattle... blink.gif

Seattle also has Honest Jack's Discount Grocery and Machine Shop. blink.gif

Also when you find someone to ship it, make sure they take pictures of the packaging process so you'll have some claim documentation when they claim "it wasn't packaged properly."
rhodyguy
At least it has that going for it.
forrestkhaag
You guys are scaring the hell out of me. I just rented a really fine corporate housing pad with gym, sauna, pool, spa, and roof deck for the next several months to give me time to stitch my seats that Oscar so nicely gave me good cores on. It is right next to an upscale fine food market in Ballard adjacent to a homeless cave dwelling facility that shares space with a herbal fortune teller's plumbing business. The place is interesting to say the least....... WTF.gif

Back to 914 stuff.

Here in AZ there are some damned fine 914s packed away in dry storage in garages here. Mike Wills fine ride aside, I bumped into what appears to be a factory "option kit" GT 6 crumbling in an AZCC member's garage along with a couple of Italian two seater's that look like they have been there for years. Apparently, it was something one could buy from Porsche back in the day and modify to spec. More on that later -

Seattle......... WTF.gif

rhodyguy
All the cool guys, and gals, live in broke down motorhomes with flat tires and no year tabs. Bring all of your old mattresses, old lawnmowers, wheelbarrows with no wheels, furniture, shopping carts with you. You can store in in the street and pitch your tent on the sidewalk. Don't forget your 5 gal bucket to poop in. You can just pour it down the storm drains that run right to puget sound. YouTube 'Seattle is dying'. Tourists arriving in town for a cruise are given blinders like what are used on horses.

Purple wire is pretty cool.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2019, 05:49 PM) *

All the cool guys, and gals, live in broke down motorhomes with flat tires and no year tabs. Bring all of your old mattresses, old lawnmowers, wheelbarrows with no wheels, furniture, shopping carts with you. You can store in in the street and pitch your tent on the sidewalk. Don't forget your 5 gal bucket to poop in. You can just pour it down the storm drains that run right to puget sound. YouTube 'Seattle is dying'. Tourists arriving in town for a cruise are given blinders like what are used on horses.

Purple wire is pretty cool.

Geez Kevin, you write 7 complete sentences extolling the joys of Seattle and never mention how you can sleep peacefully in the fast lane of I-5? You're slipping. poke.gif
rhodyguy
Not me. Good To Go transponder.
sixnotfour
Ain't what it once was......thank God, the viaduct is going away ................
.............I was sitting terrified crossing it with Goodmans treasures......then again he loved the earthquake when his buildings suffered damage...
PanelBilly
I'm happy here.
rhodyguy
Workers pulling section 'pins' from a tower crane. During disassembly. Out of sequence. TIMBER!!! Then they die along with 2 folks enjoying a sunny Saturday morning. Seattle currently has more tower cranes than any other city in the country.

The old tunnel is being filled Jeff. It should have been made avail to campers.
914werke
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 5 2019, 08:01 PM) *
Ain't what it once was......thank God, the viaduct is going away .... I was sitting terrified crossing it with Goodman's treasures ...... then again, he loved the earthquake than his suffered damage...
I could tell you a story about John & the Nisqually earthquake rolleyes.gif
rhodyguy
I was taking a shower during that quake. I thought a C-17 was crashing in to the house. I live 10 miles or so from the epicenter. When St. Helens blew, in the shower that time too, I thought a car had crashed in to the house I was living in. That was in Marysville.
Jazzy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 6 2019, 07:32 PM) *

I was taking a shower during that quake. I thought a C-17 was crashing in to the house. I live 10 miles or so from the epicenter. When St. Helens blew, in the shower that time too, I thought a car had crashed in to the house I was living in. That was in Marysville.

Please stay out of that shower, bad stuff happens when you're in it!
rhodyguy
I take a shower and things go sideways. It was the sound wave that shook the Marysville house.
akellym
So after emailing back and forth for days they agreed to ship it to me for a fee... oh well it's on the way(insured).

The amp is a Technics SE-A70. Here's a photo from the shop:

Click to view attachment

The pre amp is a Technics SU-A80 found this on ebay:

Click to view attachment

I'm going to restore them the only issue I have right not is with the pre amp. With most of the labels gone. I'm hope to find a go face plate from a parts unit or figure out a way to re label it so it looks factory. I search daily for a parts or one that is in better shape cosmetically.
PanelBilly
Somewhere in a box I have a Phase Linear amp from the ‘70s
rhodyguy
The hot ticket back in the day. Prob worth some coin. Combined with S7 speakers from Speakerlab. Rock on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.