Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another turboed 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bills914-4
Hello , I've been wanting to build a turbo system for my 914 , so I bought a few parts
recently & thought I'd give it a try , this system is temporarily on my 2.8-4 twinplug
motor for now . I know we like picture's so here's a few smile.gif , thanks for looking Bill D.

I'm running low boost 7psi max on this motor (2.8 twinplug 10.7 cr ) , I'm in process
of building a 2.5 to run 14 + psi of boost smile.gif ,
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=0#entry2617707

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

bought a few bits & pieces & did some fab work little by little

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

thats little bullet muffler
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Retroracer
That looks like fun! No intercooler and 7PSI should be manageable - but with the placement you have, there's room to put an intercooler in the upper part of the trunk area for when you make the motor swap to get to 15+ PSI. Some venting or interesting ducting could be crafted on the trunk, which looking at your fabrication skills on what you've done should be no problem!

- Tony

914forme
I will tell you, run a bead or flare your pipe, at the low boast you are running they might hold. I would blow them off my TDI build. Changed to double clamps T-clamps and 6 inches of coverage, still would blow off. Beaded the ends of the tubes, no more blow off.

poke.gif I was running 45 psi of boost shades.gif Just do it the right way, and not worry about it.

Other than that enjoy the fun, if you drop E-85 you should be able to run the 2.8 boasted with out issues, might even get it to 11. aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
I'm surprised nobody has said it yet:

"Everybody knows you can't turbocharge a 914!"

(Especially the people who have successfully done it and loved theirs for years.)

--DD
Stiffmeister
Me like driving.gif
Andyrew
Great looking system! What turbo size did you go with
Watch your water injection carefully, you'll need to make sure there is adequate dispersion of the water droplets or youll find yourself with hot cylinders. Individual nozzles per cyl would be ideal.
ottox914
Check my links below for my turbo adventures. Some thoughts on water injection. Spraying just after the turbo outlet will provide maximum charge air cooling. Injecting closer to the throttle bodies will provide more of the octane boost. Straight water can be used with good results as a cooling mist, water/meth is better for an octane boost. In my perfect world I would port inject at the intake runners, and spray another mist just after the turbo. Best of both worlds.

While I didn't use WI on my 914 turbo, I did consider it. I wanted to try my idea for a central mounted air to air, and it worked amazingly well. I still have the IC if you want to throw me some bucks and plumb it into your system. I used WI on a turbo focus I built, which I later converted to an air/water system.

Your car on E85 with WI should be good at 7psi, and probably more. Your car on the dyno will tell you how much is to much with that set up, and when you need to upgrade you IC system.
tazz9924
im not sure that air intake is getting enough air in its current placement. What it is getting is gonna be hot, so id suggest moving it and u might get some more power too. It will also help with the detonation problems an intercoolerless system can be subject to.
ottox914
Look for some build threads from member "iamchappy" He has gone down the same path you have started on.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 4 2019, 06:42 PM) *

I'm surprised nobody has said it yet:

(Especially the people who have successfully done it and loved theirs for years.)

--DD

I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Bills914-4
Thanks Guys for the words smile.gif , yeah I'm planning on IC in the future might be sooner
then I planned , Tuning will tell , still in beginning stages of tuning , I'm still learning
megasquirt ( tunerstudio ) need to learn programmable water meth injection it's somewhat
similar to tunerstudio , it works with rpm & map/boost sensor , at the moment I'm running
one injector nozzle on each side in the elbow above the TB hat
they are (#3) 175 ML/MIN , I have more clamps to install double per joint ,I'm going to
try that for now , some of the tubes have a bead some of the ones I trimmed don't ,
besides if and when I add IC this plumbing will change , intake air temp is a concern ,
I've seen it get hot in the trunk , I've got some idea's to fix or change that , in the meantime
I'm going to monitor iat while I'm trying to tune it , Thanks Bill D.

O-yea this thread would not have been complete without that phrase biggrin.gif ,

http://sohiperformance.com/i-7470031.aspx?...AiABEgIByPD_BwE

Click to view attachment

Snow Performance water-methanol injection with OEM level fuel system control for exact amounts of water-methanol to be delivered at any RPM range of the vehicle. The Stage 4 Boost Coolerâ„¢ utilizes engine RPM/Boost PSI to create a 2D fully adjustable water-methanol tune. Unlike any other system on the market the Stage 4 can give more or less water-methanol at any specific engine load state similar to a stand alone ECU. Using Snow Performance Platinum Tuning Software (free) the tuner can monitor, adjust water-meth delivery, data log/save files, and save/send completed water-methanol tunes to remote customers using a computer while on the dyno. Comes complete with Bosch MAP sensor, custom billet mount, USB cord, terminated wiring connections, LED alert system

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.