Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do about a worn transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rbzymek
So I just bought a 1975 1.8 with no rust and fairly new paint. It has a progressive carb but I have just about all of the parts to take it back to L-Jet. I also have a Triad on order to replace the Monza exhaust. The synchros are shot in first and second. What's a the best option? Cogs and Cogs are asking $1600 for a rebuilt trans. Are there any other recommendations? Should I have my own box rebuilt or just accept a rebuilt and return my core? Thanks.
Ray
mepstein
I think Mike/Dr Evil has some of the best pricing on rebuilding trans.

@Dr Evil
Montreal914
Buy Dr Evil's video, get another core box for parts, prepare to buy the 1st gear slider and dig in smash.gif

Fun and rewarding project made easy thanks to the Dr.

Good luck! beer.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ May 4 2019, 09:52 PM) *

Buy Dr Evil's video, get another core box for parts, prepare to buy the 1st gear slider and dig in smash.gif

Fun and rewarding project made easy thanks to the Dr.

Good luck! beer.gif

If you are mechanically handy at encourage you to give it a go, about 14 of us did a group rebuild and it’s not difficult at all with some coaching.
PanelBilly
Or pull the stack and send it to DrEvil. It’s an easy process and takes very little skill.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 5 2019, 11:40 AM) *

Or pull the stack and send it to DrEvil. It’s an easy process and takes very little skill.

This is my favorite idea. Fast and easy for me, cheaper for you. I answered your PM, too. aktion035.gif

Thanks for the love, fellas. smile.gif
roblav1
For $1600, take a crap shoot and buy about 8 of them.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(roblav1 @ May 6 2019, 10:53 PM) *

For $1600, take a crap shoot and buy about 8 of them.

If you live near me, I agree with this as I will then buy the cores off of you and rebuild one for you when they crap out (they will biggrin.gif )
robin cox
I have a tired crunchy side shift transmission in my 72 car but I also have a 69 tail shift transmission from another car that was rebuilt by Porsche at some expense in the 90's and I've barely used it since. So I want to use the older TS transmission but covert it to side shift with the parts from my SS transmission. I fancy doing it myself but I'm not sure where to look for advice or instruction, I have the Haynes manual, but any pointers or advice on what's involved inside the box would be appreciated.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(robin cox @ May 11 2019, 09:36 AM) *

I have a tired crunchy side shift transmission in my 72 car but I also have a 69 tail shift transmission from another car that was rebuilt by Porsche at some expense in the 90's and I've barely used it since. So I want to use the older TS transmission but covert it to side shift with the parts from my SS transmission. I fancy doing it myself but I'm not sure where to look for advice or instruction, I have the Haynes manual, but any pointers or advice on what's involved inside the box would be appreciated.

That’s not too hard. I do cover that in my DVD. It would be a pretty intense and time consuming write up, better on video. You have all the parts, you will need the alignment jig.
SteveL
I'm going to need a trans refresh soon. I am much more intimated by the thought of pulling the trans apart than I am of the engine. Is it really that easy to pull the stack to send it to the good doc?
Doc - once you have the stack, what is ballpark average for you to go through a "normally worn" one?
Not trying to pin down a price, cannot do that without seeing it. Just trying to figure where it likely fits in the list.
Thanks
mepstein
QUOTE(SteveL @ May 11 2019, 05:22 PM) *

I'm going to need a trans refresh soon. I am much more intimated by the thought of pulling the trans apart than I am of the engine. Is it really that easy to pull the stack to send it to the good doc?
Doc - once you have the stack, what is ballpark average for you to go through a "normally worn" one?
Not trying to pin down a price, cannot do that without seeing it. Just trying to figure where it likely fits in the list.
Thanks

"Is it really that easy to pull the stack to send it to the good doc?"

Yes. I think all you need is a 13mm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.