Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 1.8 Turbo conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pgollender
Finally beginning the 1974 1.8 T conversion. Bought the donor car over 1 year ago and began stripping it out last week. The goal is to modernize the cockpit and cabin a bit to enjoy things like Cruise control and A/C and intermittent wipers and boast power a <bit>with a KO4 turbo. The donor car was a 1999 Passat 1.8T longitudinal 5 speed.
I was inspired by both Mike Bellis and Andrew Dallens conversions. I don’t have big aspirations for enormous HP gains. I’ll be satisfied at 165-175Hp.
I plan on using the original Passat gearbox and custom fab the axles and cable shifters.
Ideally I’d like to design the cooling system and intercooler to stay in the original engine bay, but we shall see.
pgollender
Passat wiring harness, 100% intact. Bitch to remove. Many unneeded connections, but at least I can pick and choose. Instrumentation panel will be Passat.
Click to view attachment
pgollender
Recipient vehicle 1974

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Watching smile.gif

Let me know if you need any help.

165-175hp is stock turbo at about 12-13psi. Very conservative setup. You could make about 225 with the setup maxed out.
jb6000
Going to be a nice car.
whitetwinturbo
..............that's a challenging mash up idea.gif
get off my lawn
QUOTE(pgollender @ May 5 2019, 08:26 AM) *

Passat wiring harness, 100% intact. Bitch to remove. Many unneeded connections, but at least I can pick and choose. Instrumentation panel will be Passat.
Click to view attachment

That looks like a bad acid trip.
A really bad one.
pgollender
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 5 2019, 11:46 AM) *

Watching smile.gif

Let me know if you need any help.

165-175hp is stock turbo at about 12-13psi. Very conservative setup. You could make about 225 with the setup maxed out.

Thanks Andrew, I'm sure I will need to stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before me.
pgollender

That looks like a bad ]
[/quote]
acid trip.
A really bad one.
[/quote]

Only worse acid trip is one in which you haplessly cut all the wires to make the job "easier".
914-d
If you don't have it already, you are going to need vagcom or vcds as it is called now. Computer program for working on vag products.

Where in nor cal are you. I have the program ane might be able to help
Andyrew
He can also buy the Chinese $20 cable/program. I havent had any issues with that.
Chris H.

Only worse acid trip is one in which you haplessly cut all the wires to make the job "easier".

Yeah you really have to pull the whole harness just to be sure you don't accidentally cut something you need. Quite a BITCH to get out of the car but worth it in the end.

Looks like a clean donor engine/other parts! Check out Andyrew's thread as well as @MikeBellis Probably more I just don't remember.
Chris H.
Double Post!
pgollender
Power plant is out. Time for a cleaning and respec/rebuildClick to view attachment
The passat tranny has a low profile. Click to view attachment

1999 Passat wagon DBW decommissioned.
Click to view attachment
pgollender
QUOTE(914-d @ May 7 2019, 11:58 AM) *

If you don't have it already, you are going to need vagcom or vcds as it is called now. Computer program for working on vag products.

Where in nor cal are you. I have the program and might be able to help

Roseville area. Thanks, I do have access to bonafide vagcom system !
falcor75
Nice project, I built a Mk1 Scirocco with the 1.8T and it turned out plenty fast with just the stock 180 hp engine (traction was an issue into third gear) The Scirocco is a little lighter than the 914 but its only about 100 kg difference and rear wheel drive will make it awsome. If you want to keep the stock look I'd look at a small watercooled intercooler, much more efficient and easier to find room for.
pgollender
Yellow car on it's way to new garage for body work and rust repairClick to view attachment
pgollender
Car on the spit. 1.8T on the standClick to view attachment
pgollender
box-o-engine partsClick to view attachment
pgollender
will clean up and rebuild forged internals, JE pistons, longer strokeClick to view attachment
pgollender
Original brain box from Passat donor = Audi. Will keep for start-up but replace before APR chip and tuneClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
pgollender
Original K03 turbo. Will replace with slightly larger K04, better boost controller and air-to-water intercooler.Click to view attachment
pgollender
Front engine view: Will delete viscous fan, water pump, power steering pump (three cluster on the lower right). Relocate the AC (on the lower left) to where the PS pump is now to allow for cable shifter clearance and cleaner front. I plan on using electric water pump with controller to account for longer coolant push to front mounted radiator.Click to view attachment
pgollender
The moment you realize that it took you 4 weekends just to get everything apart and now you have to start to deplete your bank account.Click to view attachment
Last icky creepy step:Click to view attachment
I may call her "Spidey"
pgollender
Weekend progress: Got the heads back from the machine shop. I still haven’t found any local machine shop that wants to bore the Passat block. Seems like they all closed shop. Click to view attachment
pgollender
Old suspension is off. Getting ready to send out to get powder coated. Headed over to Shingle Springs to pick up my new coil overs from Ground Control. New Bilsteins, bushings and bearings arriving later this week. Click to view attachment
pgollender
First upgrades arrived today. Big shout out to Jay at Ground Control in Shingle Springs, California. I am literally starting at the ground up.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
erwan914
QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 7 2023, 06:16 PM) *

First upgrades arrived today. Big shout out to Jay at Ground Control in Shingle Springs, California. I am literally starting at the ground up.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

good project biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

spirings LBS for rear ?
pgollender
QUOTE(erwan914 @ Feb 21 2023, 02:19 AM) *

QUOTE(pgollender @ Feb 7 2023, 06:16 PM) *

good project biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

spirings LBS for rear ?

I went pretty stiff, 175#, but the front will be stiff too with 19mm torsion bars, Tarrett anti-sway bar, and adjustable Koni's. All new bushings everywhere and rebuilt steering rack. Once it's on the ground and running, I have a 150# spring option as well if i need to adjust the ride response. Trailing arms about ready to go. Waiting on the bearings.Click to view attachment
pgollender
Obtained accessory carrier and peripherals from 2002 Jetta and test mounted on the block to see if it would fit. This switches the AC pump (and everything else) to the left side of the block and gives a cleaner shot and more room for the cable shifters, turbo and the exhaust on the right side. First pic is the original configuration and the second is the new relocated peripherals. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mayne
Looking good! I’m guessing by the forged internals, etc, that stock power is out the window. Sounds like a good plan of action!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.