Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting carpet to stay in place
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I put new carpet in my car last fall, and it bunches around the pedals.

I don't want to use carpet glue, as I tend to take the carpet out somewhat frequently to work on stuff.

The last carpet set I put in I modified, cutting it off at the pedal board and putting the aluminum "board" over the carpet. This time I'd like to have the carpet up there. But I don't like how it bunches up.

Thanks!

Zach
xperu
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 6 2019, 07:46 AM) *

I don't want to use carpet glue, as I tend to take the carpet out somewhat frequently to work on stuff.

The last carpet set I put in I modified, cutting it off at the pedal board and putting the aluminum "board" over the carpet. This time I'd like to have the carpet up there. But I don't like how it bunches up.

Thanks!

Zach

I used a good Velcro
toolguy
VELCRO
VaccaRabite
I tried a generic peel and stick velcro with poor results in the past. Is there a better brand I should look at? Are folks stitching the velcro to the carpet, or is the adhesive generally enough?

Zach
bdstone914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ May 6 2019, 05:46 AM) *

Thanks!

Zach

@VaccaRabite

Who's carpet set are you using? What material is it? Most floor carpets have a hold down provision.
Bruce
Mikey914
A few tabs of velcro will keep this in place. This is most problematic on the perlon style carpet as it's lighter, even the domestics can do it. The German tends to be thicker and is better at staying in place, but certainly a few tabs of strategically placed velcro will do the job nicely.
914sgofast2
I second the Velcro suggestion. I used some that I bought from Home Depot on mine. Works great!
Rob-O
Carpet tape...Home Depot, Lowe’s,etc.
RickS
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 6 2019, 08:31 PM) *

How does carpet tape help the OP frequently remove the carpet while he is working on the car?
Rob-O
QUOTE(RickS @ May 7 2019, 07:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 6 2019, 08:31 PM) *

How does carpet tape help the OP frequently remove the carpet while he is working on the car?

As long as the carpet is somewhat hearty, he should be able to remove it without damaging it. He said Velcro wasn’t working. Carpet tape is specifically made for, well, keeping carpet in place.

The tape itself may not hold up well after pulling the carpet a time or two, which should be fine. Just remove and replace with fresh tape. I’ve only seen it sold in rolls (like masking or duct tape) so buying a roll should last a long, long time.

And to be clear, I’m not talking about seam bonding tape (which uses an iron to melt the seam sealing agent). I’m just talking carpet tape.
Rob-O
YMMV
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.