Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center cap options for 2L fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I've got a set of four lug 2L fuchs wheels from a /4 that I may just powder coat black 'cause they're a little rough here and there. I've always wondered if there were any center caps that would work besides the big clunky stock ones (no offense to fans of these). I'd just like to get the simple black ones (w/ red and yellow p crest). Is that possible? What year/models would I be looking for if so? TIA.
Chi-town
I believe it's a 65mm hole? So any cap that matches the diameter and your taste should work?
Literati914
Thanks, my car is being stored elsewhere and so I didn't measure. Also, I can not remember but I thought I recalled the cover for the axle nut maybe sticking out too far to allow a more flush cap. Guess if that's the case, I could use a thin spacer.
euro911
I usually run with at least 1/4" spacers up front, but then again, I typically don't install center caps - I've never found any I like. I just paint the grease caps and rear hubs flat black shades.gif
preach
Talk to a machine shop and get custom. A friend with a lathe could probably crank them out for you. The emblem would be problematic.
Literati914
QUOTE(preach @ May 7 2019, 02:15 AM) *

Talk to a machine shop and get custom. A friend with a lathe could probably crank them out for you. The emblem would be problematic.

I've seen the simple blacks ones (w/P crest) on a set of 4lug steelies that had been powder coated black - looked nice. I wonder if that center bore is diff between the 5lug vs 4lug Fuchs?
bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 7 2019, 06:41 AM) *

QUOTE(preach @ May 7 2019, 02:15 AM) *

I've seen the simple blacks ones (w/P crest) on a set of 4lug steelies that had been powder coated black - looked nice. I wonder if that center bore is diff between the 5lug vs 4lug Fuchs?

Yes 4 and 5 lug wheel hole sizes are different. 5 lug wheels have different sizes between early, phone dial, and cookie cutter wheels. You may find stick on Porsche crests. May be hard to find as Porsche cracks down on sellers using their copy writed stuff.
You can use flat caps on the back wheels. You need the cup to clear the grease cap on the front. Porsche sells crest stick-ons in various sizes. They used them on race cars to save weigth.

Bruce
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 59mm hole in the stock cap and the tight wheel bearing cap clearance means that there are few caps to fit all of the way around Hence the factory, or Whitesell brushed, or alex's polished caps are the only ones to fit

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 6 2019, 05:22 PM) *

I've got a set of four lug 2L fuchs wheels from a /4 that I may just powder coat black 'cause they're a little rough here and there. I've always wondered if there were any center caps that would work besides the big clunky stock ones (no offense to fans of these). I'd just like to get the simple black ones (w/ red and yellow p crest). Is that possible? What year/models would I be looking for if so? TIA.
ejmetz
Hi All - I'm having a little problem with these center caps myself. It seems like the fronts and the rears are different size holes. Fronts are about 60mm and the original Porsche part number 914.361.303.07 fits, but the rears seem to be 62 or 63MM. These caps absolutely don't fit, but I haven't found any different types that are listed at anything other than 60mm.

Has anyone else run into this?
jcd914
If the holes sizes in your wheels are different front to rear then you have a wheel issue not a cap issue. The wheels should be the same front and rear.

Jim
mepstein
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 26 2019, 02:10 PM) *

If the holes sizes in your wheels are different front to rear then you have a wheel issue not a cap issue. The wheels should be the same front and rear.

Jim

agree.gif You either have a pair of reproduction wheels or the originals have been altere.
ejmetz
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2019, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 26 2019, 02:10 PM) *

Jim

agree.gif You either have a pair of reproduction wheels or the originals have been altere.

Thanks, guys. That's kinda what I was afraid of. I'll have to do some more digging.
mepstein
They should look like this.
bandjoey
rears can be flat but the fronts have to clear the grease cup. I just painted the cups the wheel color. For the rear I used PVC pipe caps sanded to fit and painted wheel color
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.