Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question on Engine Rebuild Kit - Complete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
OK guys, I hoping that I don't live to regret posting this. biggrin.gif

I've searched the forums and I've done some preliminary Google work.

I'm just looking for bone stock engine rebuild kit. Yup, that's it. 94mm dished pistons. Stock crank, Rebuilt Stock Rods, etc. Stock as in Stock! Stock Cam. You got it - as built by the factory 2.0L or as close as I can get.

I can't seem to find a complete rebuilt kit that includes a new crank, 94mm stock dished pistons, rebuilt rods, and of course bearings to match. AApistons.com supposedly had a kit but when I select on it I get "Sold Out".

I find that hard to believe given all you guys out there chasing big-bore kits. I suspect more likely is not enough sales of stock 94mm kits.

I'm not easily finding any other vendors with a stock 2.0L kit.

Obviously I can piece together stuff from different vendors but I'm honestly I'm a bit surprised that I'm not finding more as one stop shopping, kit form.

Am I missing a known vendor? Checked FAT, SCAT, BRAT (well I might have made that one up). I haven't checked JC Whitney yet dry.gif

Likewise, I haven't yet found a machine shop in Detroit Michigan (supposedly the Motor City wacko.gif ) that I'd trust to machine my heads. Would prefer to find someone at least local to the state instead of having to send to CA and risk damage. Unbelievable. Anybody have a local recommendation in Michigan?

Chi-town
You'll probably have to piece it together from different brands which is probably better because they all specialize in what they're making
914_7T3
I can hook you up with NOS 94 mm Kolben Schmidt P&Cs & Stock Cam, possibly a set of Lifters as well. PM me if interested
branston
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 6 2019, 09:10 PM) *

OK guys, I hoping that I don't live to regret posting this. biggrin.gif

I've searched the forums and I've done some preliminary Google work.

I'm just looking for bone stock engine rebuild kit. Yup, that's it. 94mm dished pistons. Stock crank, Rebuilt Stock Rods, etc. Stock as in Stock! Stock Cam. You got it - as built by the factory 2.0L or as close as I can get.

I can't seem to find a complete rebuilt kit that includes a new crank, 94mm stock dished pistons, rebuilt rods, and of course bearings to match. AApistons.com supposedly had a kit but when I select on it I get "Sold Out".

I find that hard to believe given all you guys out there chasing big-bore kits. I suspect more likely is not enough sales of stock 94mm kits.

I'm not easily finding any other vendors with a stock 2.0L kit.

Obviously I can piece together stuff from different vendors but I'm honestly I'm a bit surprised that I'm not finding more as one stop shopping, kit form.

Am I missing a known vendor? Checked FAT, SCAT, BRAT (well I might have made that one up). I haven't checked JC Whitney yet dry.gif

Likewise, I haven't yet found a machine shop in Detroit Michigan (supposedly the Motor City wacko.gif ) that I'd trust to machine my heads. Would prefer to find someone at least local to the state instead of having to send to CA and risk damage. Unbelievable. Anybody have a local recommendation in Michigan?

check with AApistons

https://aapistons.com/

They have most of what you need and may be able to put a kit together for you.

I'm at 48331 and there's a few folk in the Detroit area PM me for names.
Dave_Darling
Can you find the flat-top "European-spec" 94mm pistons? Those are good for a bump in power and torque, with the only downside being that you need to use mid-grade fuel.

--DD
Al Meredith
I've been thinking about this for some time . I have put together all the nuts and bolts and 2.0L and 1.7/1.8 L cranks, rods, pistons of all kinds 1.7,1.8,2.0. and 96 MM cylinders , boxes of tins alternators intakes , 40MM and 44MM carbs . I even have a set of new Len Hoffmen heads for 1.8 / 2.0 . I'd be happy to put together everything one would need to build the engine of your choice . I even have two cases that have been put through the ultrasound. The builder would have to provide caskets, rings ,ETC.

I"d like to hear some feedback on this subject. Al
mepstein
http://www.aircooled.net/
Superhawk996
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 6 2019, 09:38 PM) *

I can hook you up with NOS 94 mm Kolben Schmidt P&Cs & Stock Cam, possibly a set of Lifters as well. PM me if interested

Interested in options - I'm still researching hoping to find all in 1 but not looking good.

Are the 94's for 914 or are these for VW bus with the deeper 10cc dish? How much you asking and what shape are NOS in. Can you send photos to email (PM'd you my email).
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Al Meredith @ May 7 2019, 01:05 PM) *

I've been thinking about this for some time . I have put together all the nuts and bolts and 2.0L and 1.7/1.8 L cranks, rods, pistons of all kinds 1.7,1.8,2.0. and 96 MM cylinders , boxes of tins alternators intakes , 40MM and 44MM carbs . I even have a set of new Len Hoffmen heads for 1.8 / 2.0 . I'd be happy to put together everything one would need to build the engine of your choice . I even have two cases that have been put through the ultrasound. The builder would have to provide caskets, rings ,ETC.

In my case I'm wanting to stay 94mm.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 01:54 PM) *

I'm curious why you want to stick with the dished pistons. My feeling has been that 8:1 compression was what Porsche had in mind when they developed the 2L, but had to dumb it down for the US market. BTW, cheers to you for sticking with 94mm. We are the rarest of the rare biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2019, 05:02 PM) *

I'm curious why you want to stick with the dished pistons. My feeling has been that 8:1 compression was what Porsche had in mind when they developed the 2L, but had to dumb it down for the US market. BTW, cheers to you for sticking with 94mm. We are the rarest of the rare biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

@bbrock

Honestly it's not a deal breaker. Just trying to stay as close to stock as I can for sake of FI and originality. If I have to go to flat top I would. If I go bigger it will be to a six.

I just think it's funny how many people want more power yet when I'm at a stop light and we all pull away, I'm 100 yards in front of everyone within a few seconds. This has been true all my life starting way back to a 76' Mazda 808 I learned to drive on. 1.6L, 70HP, 2000 lbs.

Porsche 914 1.7L . . . same. Miata . . . same. Wife's old PT Cruiser . . same. Currently driving a Mazda MPV minivan as my daily driver & parts hauler . . . same.

General population will not accelerate at more than a mere fraction of what their vehicle is capable of. Likewise, for braking or cornering. Yet, you talk to folks and they just gotta have that V8, turbo, or whatever.

A stock 914 2.0L is just another way of keeping up the tradition of being a contrarian.
bbrock
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 04:01 PM) *

A stock 914 2.0L is just another way of keeping up the tradition of being a contrarian.

Love it! aktion035.gif I've often said, and I truly mean it, that of the various performance measurements, MPG is just as important to me as HP. Contrarian? Oh yeah happy11.gif
infraredcalvin
That’s all great, being the opposite I have no problems with that, just be sure to stay out of the passing lanes. evilgrin.gif driving.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ May 6 2019, 09:38 PM) *

Interested in options - I'm still researching hoping to find all in 1 but not looking good.

Are the 94's for 914 or are these for VW bus with the deeper 10cc dish? How much you asking and what shape are NOS in. Can you send photos to email (PM'd you my email).

@Superhawk996 Check your email for info and pics
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ May 7 2019, 02:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 7 2019, 01:54 PM) *

@bbrock You're telling me!

laugh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ May 7 2019, 07:33 PM) *

That’s all great, being the opposite I have no problems with that, just be sure to stay out of the passing lanes. evilgrin.gif driving.gif

We're getting off the subject of this post but . . .

Not sure what you mean by stay out of the passing lanes.

Unless that passing lane is in a straight line on the freeway, it's not likely you're getting by me dry.gif in the corners unless you're one of the few that really knows how to drive near the limit. driving.gif If you're one of those guys, I'll gladly yield to you. biggrin.gif

Back when the speed limit was 55 mph (remember those terrible days) I regularly drove 85 mph in a 1.7L and was regularly dodging the rolling chicanes made by any number of high dollar, high HP cars driven by guys that can't seem to watch their rear view mirror & couldn't seem to afford a speeding ticket or two.

Just passed a Panamera today (with the Mazda MPV) camped out in the left lane that had no business being there. The point being high HP doesn't mean one knows how to drive, nor does it mean low HP is going slow.

happy11.gif

stirthepot.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.