Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Teach me something about spacers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I’m running 8” wheels on the front and back and there’s still a good size space between the flairs and the tire. It doesn’t look bad but could look better. What’s the right way to use spacers or are they a bad idea in general?
infraredcalvin
Thread engagement is key, you’ll need longer studs most likely. The 930 came from the factory with front and rear spacers, the rear was 28mm (just over an inch), I’ve seen people use over 2” spacers on widebody 911s before, most vintage racing sanctioning bodies don’t allow more than 1 inch. Depending on your hub, it should be hub centric, the studs should pass though rather than having a separate set of offset lugs. Porsche offered a number of spacers over the years, find some used, mount them and don’t look back.
brant
you should buy a german brand of spacer that has passed TUV testing

they cost more, but you know what standards they are following.
Superhawk996
Bad idea in general but a necessary evil in some cases.

Why?

They move the wheel outboard to a position they weren't designed to be in.

1) This looks cool but it changes the steering geometry. In extreme spacer cases, it will lead to very heavy steering and poor steering returnability from off-center.

2) The increased offset increases loads on the wheel bearings. Small offset like 1" not so big a deal. 2" is adding serious loads to the bearing. Either way expect degraded bearing life.

3) Adds rotating mass to the wheels. Rule of thumb. Taking 1 lb off wheel rating mass has about the same effect on acceleration performance as taking 10 lbs off the body. Probably not a deal breaker for anyone but it is there.

4) Potential source of imbalance. Well made spacers with a decent fit to wheel lugs/studs aren't too bad. Home brew or universal fit spaces with non-sysmetrical patterns will add imbalance to the vehicle but aren't easily compensated for without doing on-vehicle wheel balancing. Not many shops around anymore that can do or will do on-vehicle balance work.

Having said all that I will end up using 0.75" to 1.00 inch spacers on my flared vehicle.

See picture on page 1 of my thread for example of poorly executed home brew / universal spacer.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=335209
Superhawk996
QUOTE(brant @ May 7 2019, 10:33 AM) *

you should buy a german brand of spacer that has passed TUV testing

they cost more, but you know what standards they are following.

agree.gif

TUV testing is a plus!
Chris914n6
I'm using 66mm studs and 21mm spacers off the rear of early 944s. Cheap, and one stop shopping at the Pic-a-part smile.gif

Ideally you will need studs that are longer by the spacer's width.
bdstone914
@PanelBilly

I have 944 21mm spacers and 65mm studs if that works for you.
Are you running open or closed end lug nuts?
Bruce
PanelBilly
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 9 2019, 07:04 AM) *

@PanelBilly

I have 944 21mm spacers and 65mm studs if that works for you.
Are you running open or closed end lug nuts?
Bruce

How much for 2 sets? I’m using open lug nuts

@bdstone914
bdstone914
@PanelBilly

@bdstone914
[/quote]

$125 shipped for two sets of spacers. You need the studs ?
$60 for 20 studs.

Bruce
PanelBilly
[quote name='bdstone914' date='May 9 2019, 06:19 PM' post='2712524']
@PanelBilly

@bdstone914
[/quote]

$125 shipped for two sets of spacers. You need the studs ?
$60 for 20 studs.

Bruce
[/quote]

PayPal?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.