Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 carpeting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Mzalmanek
What carpeting is the closest to original?
Tom_T
M -

It depends on which type & color you have or originally had in your 914.

PS - You'll need either the original window sticker or other dealer invoice noting the type/color, or original owner info., or a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) from PCNA which MAY have the carpet option or Appearance Group noted (`73 2.0 won't list it separately, but assume Loop Pile, unless it's a later MY one Mar 73 >) - assume base level Perlon if not noted - assuming PCNA got it right, which they more often do NOT. You don't list anything about your 914, so we can't tell.

Base carpet was the Perlon ("Mouse fur"), while the Appearance Group or Carpet option cars had a loop pile, and the colors varied from year to year.

Auto Atlanta has some of the original stuff in NOS, & very pricey, but best if you're looking for an exact match - but then I don't know what MYs, types & colors that George has in either original pieces or OE roll stock to make them - as it's a dwindling supply.

There may be some others who also have original NOS carpets, like maybe Stoddards in OH, Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA (High Performance House), etc.

There are several places who sell good aftermarket reproduction matches for the black & grey loop pile - but that's in their more expensive German made materials & kits. These include Lakewell.com (in Europe), 914Rubber (member vendor here), Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, & maybe a few others. Google for them.

I don't know if any of them offer a close version of any of the less common interior colors in Brown, Tan, Dark Tan, White, etc. & the MY variations of them.

You can look at Jeff Bowlsby's website for more interiors info. here -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

The above NOS & others also sell less expensive Domestic made carpet materials kits, but they won't last as long as the German material ones.

So it depends on your goals for your 914, & your budget.

Also - don't forget to get your Floor Vinyl kit from one of the above, & the floor tar sheet kit from AA if you're doing that back to original too (vs. one of the modern adhesive "sound mat" products).

Hope this helps, & ...

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tdskip
Super helpful response Tom, well done
Mzalmanek
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 7 2019, 03:25 PM) *

M -

It depends on which type & color you have or originally had in your 914.

PS - You'll need either the original window sticker or other dealer invoice noting the type/color, or original owner info., or a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) from PCNA which MAY have the carpet option or Appearance Group noted (`73 2.0 won't list it separately, but assume Loop Pile, unless it's a later MY one Mar 73 >) - assume base level Perlon if not noted - assuming PCNA got it right, which they more often do NOT. You don't list anything about your 914, so we can't tell.

Base carpet was the Perlon ("Mouse fur"), while the Appearance Group or Carpet option cars had a loop pile, and the colors varied from year to year.

Auto Atlanta has some of the original stuff in NOS, & very pricey, but best if you're looking for an exact match - but then I don't know what MYs, types & colors that George has in either original pieces or OE roll stock to make them - as it's a dwindling supply.

There may be some others who also have original NOS carpets, like maybe Stoddards in OH, Rich Bontempi at HPH in Redwood City CA (High Performance House), etc.

There are several places who sell good aftermarket reproduction matches for the black & grey loop pile - but that's in their more expensive German made materials & kits. These include Lakewell.com (in Europe), 914Rubber (member vendor here), Autos International in Escondido CA, World Upholstery in Ventura CA, & maybe a few others. Google for them.

I don't know if any of them offer a close version of any of the less common interior colors in Brown, Tan, Dark Tan, White, etc. & the MY variations of them.

You can look at Jeff Bowlsby's website for more interiors info. here -
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/PaintFabrics.htm

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

The above NOS & others also sell less expensive Domestic made carpet materials kits, but they won't last as long as the German material ones.

So it depends on your goals for your 914, & your budget.

Also - don't forget to get your Floor Vinyl kit from one of the above, & the floor tar sheet kit from AA if you're doing that back to original too (vs. one of the modern adhesive "sound mat" products).

Hope this helps, & ...

welcome.png

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,
Thank you very much! Very helpful!
Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.