Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Light Box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ross
Hi Guys,

The driver's side reverse light comes on sporadically. I have found that apparently I have a loose connection somewhere within the rear light box itself. After I take off the lens, it looks like there is a "rivet" of some sort holding the light box "mirror" material to the rest of the box. Has any one taken apart one of these boxes and have any tips?

Thanks for any help
jim_hoyland
I would start at the reverse switch attached to the tranny. Check the pin; is it a rear OEM type pin or a homemade job. IIRC , they are 31mm ( approx). If its iffy, order a new one from URO, there pins work. Other issues could be thrilled wire connectors at the switch. The plastic piece where the bullet connectors go in could have broken and caused a mini short.

I doubt, your rear housing is at fault, but clean the bulbs contacts and the socket. I use a Q-tip dipped into contact cleaner; then apply a light coating of dielectric grease.

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
More info here: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...++light++switch

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
If it's only one of the two reverse lights, the switch and its wiring are fine. The primary suspect is, as Ross said, the turn signal bucket itself.

I haven't tried taking a bucket apart, but it doesn't seem that absurdly difficult. You might try cleaning up and/or bending up the contacts inside the light sockets. And make sure you get the wires plugged in the correct way; doing it backwards can give you some really strange results...

--DD
Rob-O
I’ve taken one apart because I had a similar issue. One of the wires that attaches to those rivets was barely attached. So the light it was connected to worked only sporadically. I didn’t see a way to hook it back up so I made a small hole in the light box, ran the wire out of the box and added a terminal to the wire. Then hooked it up to its corresponding wire in the cars wiring loom. It has worked perfectly since then. Tough to track down the issue initially though because of the work/won’t work symptoms.

To get to the wires, remove the screws holding the mirrored plastic piece to the housing. You can then check all the wires (where they connect to the gang of rivets and also the bulb sockets. You can use a small wire brush on a Dremel tool to clean the bulb socket contacts. While you’re in there buy yourself some silver spray paint and spray the mirrored pieces. On mine the mirrored part was gone or degraded significantly, making all the rear lights appear dim. After spraying the mirrored section silver the lights are really bright.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.