Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My very own barn find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eamesonly
I had a 914 engine complete rebuild from a very top German car place new 96mm pistons, 44mm weber carbs, etc. And once completed I asked them if they changed the gas lines. They said we checked them and they were good. They told me put a 1000 miles on it and bring it back. I got to 900 and was driving. The engine hesitated and as I went up the hilll I could see flames in the rear window. Right behind my head. This was about six years ago. Turns out the gas line in the engine bay were bad.

In the time since life has happened and things never really took hold. Now they're going to get it back and going.

I need a few things one new engine deck lid. New locking mechanism for the ignition? What do you recommend?

Also will keep the group updated on the progress. I think I paid about 3k for the car and had about 6k into it.
mepstein
welcome.png
Chi-town
I like the AC unit, very compact.

I have an engine cover with latch if you need it
eamesonly
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 10 2019, 08:43 AM) *

welcome.png

Thanks! Glad to be on board.
eamesonly
QUOTE(Chi-town @ May 10 2019, 09:22 AM) *

I like the AC unit, very compact.

I have an engine cover with latch if you need it

Don't know much about it was going to remove it but who knows maybe I'll try to get it working?
76-914
welcome.png We'll get you to a point that you can do your own repairs. You can still burn it down but it will be your fault this time. av-943.gif Seriously, this is why so many of us work on our own 914's. Most of the mechanics that knew the 914 are retired or worse sad.gif . There are only a handful of reputable 914 mechanics nowadays. beerchug.gif
mbseto
The title threw me fr a second... Your own barn find meaning it was in your own barn...
bandjoey
Chris Foley New Fuel Lines... Will be a fun project. smash.gif
Tom_T
welcome.png

Cheers & Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mark04usa
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 10 2019, 03:35 PM) *

welcome.png We'll get you to a point that you can do your own repairs. You can still burn it down but it will be your fault this time. av-943.gif Seriously, this is why so many of us work on our own 914's. Most of the mechanics that knew the 914 are retired or worse sad.gif . There are only a handful of reputable 914 mechanics nowadays. beerchug.gif

agree.gif There is so much help available through this forum, you won't want to have unknowing folks work on your car, your hands and the combined brains here will be all you'll need beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 10 2019, 07:17 PM) *

agree.gif

And if you want to make a road trip to the Fort Worth area, I have a number of spare engine lids. Come for a visit, pick out an engine lid and drive home.

Clay
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 02:47 PM) *

agree.gif

And if you want to make a road trip to the Fort Worth area, I have a number of spare engine lids. Come for a visit, pick out an engine lid and drive home.

Clay

agree.gif go see Clay and Betty driving.gif driving-girl.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2019, 06:31 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 02:47 PM) *

agree.gif

Clay

agree.gif go see Clay and Betty driving.gif driving-girl.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif

If you come up here early next Saturday, you can attend the "Motoring Mavs at Mayo's" event. You get to tour Mayo Performance in Euless and visit with Ed Mayo, the PCA Tech expert on 914 and early 911. He has more stuff about 914s locked in his head than I ever will.

Great event, Lots of Porsche cars to look at, and lots of people to talk cars with. And free donuts!

scottthephotog
Motoring Mavs at Mayo's is a brilliant event. Ed Mayo is super nice and knows a ton of stuff. Seeing his shop and cars is super fun. Usually a fairly large turnout. Can't go wrong with free coffee and donuts. It's every month on the third Saturday, so if you can't make it this time, come next month.

Also, welcome to 914 World and good luck with your car!
eamesonly
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 11 2019, 11:47 AM) *

agree.gif

Clay

That's awesome I may take you up on that Clay!
porschetub
QUOTE(eamesonly @ May 11 2019, 04:18 AM) *

I had a 914 engine complete rebuild from a very top German car place new 96mm pistons, 44mm weber carbs, etc. And once completed I asked them if they changed the gas lines. They said we checked them and they were good. They told me put a 1000 miles on it and bring it back. I got to 900 and was driving. The engine hesitated and as I went up the hilll I could see flames in the rear window. Right behind my head. This was about six years ago. Turns out the gas line in the engine bay were bad.

In the time since life has happened and things never really took hold. Now they're going to get it back and going.

I need a few things one new engine deck lid. New locking mechanism for the ignition? What do you recommend?

Also will keep the group updated on the progress. I think I paid about 3k for the car and had about 6k into it.

Carbs should rebuild ok if not too melted,plenty of parts around besides,while apart check your vent size is right,44's are big carbs for a motor your size,and normally sized with 36mm vents out of the box.
If this way you will need to drop your idle and mains jets down,drop your vents to 32mm ,then get the best fuel hose and FI clamps you can buy,next find that so called mechanic and kick his ass...what a dick.
Good Luck.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.