Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust to head gasket removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krohn
Is there a magic trick or a special tool that's needed to remove the copper gasket from the head where the exhaust bolts?

I'm in the processing of cleaning (and more cleaning and more cleaning and more cleaning... ) from 50 years of oil leaks and in the process of partial disassembly for some push rod tube seal replacement, but after removing the head exchangers, I haven't found a reasonable way of removing the copper gaskets from the head. Any helpful experience or out there?
Mark Henry
Old flat screwdriver, heat the tip cherry red and bend the tip 90 degrees.
Hook it on the edge of the gasket and pull down.

I have several pry and install tools made from old screwdrivers like this.
Superhawk996
I have a small pick shaped tool with a slight bend in the tip. Just use it to hook underneath the copper gasket. It works every time.

I like Mark's idea too. beerchug.gif Always up for making a new special tool from those I already have on hand!
porschetub
Be very careful removing these,if you damage the machined surface on the head you are basically screwed,they can be hard to get out with the motor installed.
I usually file the surfaces on heatexchangers and check for basic flatness with a straight edge,this method has cured exhaust leaks on 2 of my motors.
The studs require close inspection also as the end threads rust away,I use a self locking nuts I got from Pelican years ago,they are made for exhausts and from memory they were a early BMW part,so good I used them on my 2.2T six motor to really good result.
Good luck.
Rand
IPB Image

https://www.harborfreight.com/mini-pick-and...-set-63697.html

The idea is to hook and pull on the ring only. As was said, don't scarf the sealing surface.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 10 2019, 10:09 PM) *

several is because you lose them, and have to make another one.
I know....

Rich
Superhawk996
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 12 2019, 10:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 10 2019, 10:09 PM) *

several is because you lose them, and have to make another one.
I know....

Rich

av-943.gif So true. I have multiples of tools just so when I misplace one, I don't have to stop working to look for it. They always turn up in some strange place when I'm doing clean up!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.